• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Pronghorn hunting questions

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Looking for a place to go pronghorn hunting. Not looking for trophies but lots of good opportunities. Not wanting to use and expensive outfitter. trying to keep costs as low as possible. might have a rather large group of maybe 5 or 6. really wanting the spot and stalk type of hunting. we will have a few begginers in the group, one being my wife who would prefer a shot not over 250 yards.
anybody got any contact info to people that i can call and try and gather some information?
thanks in advance.

Re: Pronghorn hunting questions

It's too late for this year in Montana but if you want to go next year get the BMA (Block Management Area) list and call some of the land owners to get permission of find out what they require to hunt the land they put in block management. Some require a reservation, some just have sign in boxes at desiganted gates. Most farmers are glad to have people come out and shoot them, they may even give you some tips where the best places are to catch them crossing their land. The XXXXXX and XXXXX ranches near Great Falls have always been good to me. It's good to get there opening week, they get really jumpy after a few of them get shot.

The hunt is for 2011 and opening day is when we plan on going.... would like to keep our costs down to less than 1000 a person if possible. we will be driving from indianapolis indiana. you say get tips for the best places for them to "cross their land" we would like to do spot and stalks do to the ability to enjoy each others company while driving around spotting, plus the ease of that style of finding animals. would these guys private land be a good place to take at least 5 animals in three days? i know nothing about pronghorns and thier movement, just that their are a boatload of them out that way and spot and stalks are a really fun way of hunting w/ a group of friends. still needing some contact information on who to call for information.

If you can narrow it down to a state, it would help.

Is the $1k per person including the out of state/non-resident tag cost? All costs per person including food etc?

What is your proposed/desired budget break down? Camping on site or travel each morning from a motel? Looking to rent a cabin for the weekend? etc.

Nail down the proposed logistics/location and this should be answerable rather quickly.

1000 per person for everything.... budgeted 100 per person for gas. plan on camping so minimal added expense. we can bring 4 wheelers if neccessary to hunt public land, but really want the spot and stalk style hunting so we can all stay together even if only 2 or 3 do the stalking.

out of state tags i belive are about 250 for a buck and 35 for a doe right? probably looking towards wyoming but am open to any place that we would feel confident we can bring some animals home.

Wyoming has by far the most antelope and the most public land for that style of hunt. Montana would be second...Thousand bucks per guy would easily get it done.

Wyoming area 27 is a great place for a do it yourself hunt, its about 40 miles south of gillette. The thunder basin national grassland is all over this area and its easily accessable and well marked, lots of antelope in the area as well. I've been hunting wyoming for 4 years now and have taken 13 antelope including 2 very respectable bucks. I hope this information helps and good luck with your hunt,

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wyoming area 27 is a great place for a do it yourself hunt, its about 40 miles south of gillette. The thunder basin national grassland is all over this area and its easily accessable and well marked, lots of antelope in the area as well. I've been hunting wyoming for 4 years now and have taken 13 antelope including 2 very respectable bucks. I hope this information helps and good luck with your hunt,

Steve </div></div>

we had thought about hunting public land, but around here hunting public land is pretty much a garentee that you will see NO deer but TONS of orange. anybody ever heard of using a local as a guide for public land out that way? i would be concerned about the number of shooting opportunites we would get if we stuck to public land.

Show up about 10 days after opening day and you wont see very many hunters...

We hunt public land in Wy and go two days after opener we very rarely see other hunters.

I have family in Lusk WY and in/around Rapid City SD. I have driven in dang near every state in the surrounding area save for NoDak and Montana and i have to tell you...i see more game from the highway in that section of road from Lusk to Rapid than in any other parts of the surrounding states. SoDak is really underappreciated for speed goats, and the only problem I have had with the antelope there is all the sage they eat. Pretty much committed to making breakfast sausage out of the whole thing. I've not shot one there yet (next year is my planned hunt near hermosa) and I look forward to taking an antelope and a mulie or nice badlands whitetail next year.

Good Luck on your hunt!

public land humting in wyoming is a little different than what most are used too, in 4 years of hunting out there, and covering a LOT of ground I think i've only seen maybe 5-6 other hunting parties. there is so much public land and so many antelope you don't really have to worry about fighting for a place to hunt. As PGS stated going out about 10 days after opener isnt a bad idea either, chances are your going to have to do some longer distance shooting because the goats get skittish but i've gone out late the last 2 seasons and had no problems filling my tags, If your bringing beginners go for opener because the antelope are dumb and its like shooting fish in a barrel so to speak lol.

Steve

gillette wy reporting here.as of december 1 2010 we have evicted all antelope from our region.they have been relocated to the far west end of the state to the mountian region were the habitat is more suited to them.so thats were i would look for them.lol

I hunted pronghorn this year for the first time. Went a few weeks after opener, plenty of public land, plenty of antelope and saw no hunters. Really bad timing for me and I needed to rush home so I took a 14inch buck (@100) yards on the second morning, had I used the whole week I had planed on using, I know I could have taken a larger one. Even though you said trophy animals wern't important I saw several really nice bucks in the day plus I hunted.

Theres no reason to not hunt public land in WY, I have been hunting in Wyoming for 10+ years, granted the WY border is about 15 miles from my house! The only reason I would send you to Wyoming over Colorado is because you can draw a tag nearly anywhere and also shoot up to 4 does along with your one buck tag. A non resident buck tag is around $250 and leftover doe tags are only $34 a piece!

We were in south eastern WY chasing does one day last weekend and for the first time ever we didnt see one, normally if we dont have one down in the first hour someone is coming up with excusses as to why they missed!
I think they all mass migrated to Colorado, there are heards of hundereds and hundereds all over by my place right now, I could look out the window and prrbably see 500 right now! NE Colorado has incrediabl speed goat hunting, but alot of the areas require alot of preference points to draw. The unit I live in (87) takes 7-8 points to draw for a rifle tag! Thats why I stick to bow hunting them

I have hunted goats in MT the last 2 years. North of Great Falls, so not even the best area. We hunt block management and state land; great luck on block management. The only problem is drawing a buck tag. Now we are focused on elk/deer, we get goat permits just because we are there and they are easy to find, if I really wanted a buck goat I'd be looking at WY. If you are ok with does western MT is easy and goats are relatively plentiful. I hear there are more east and tags easier to draw in those units.

Hunting speedgoats is not hard unless you want to get really close.

Yea, Been hunting the Thunder basin Nat Grasslands for 5 years, couple diffrent units. They are all good. Couple u will need to have a couple pref points but others u will get into with out. We have acutally hunted unit 7 twice and camped up @ Keyhole Res. Would agree with the other guys that don't go opening weekend! The later u go the less people u'll have to deal with. Its also a hunt u can spend as much or as little as u want to. Great way to get out west and see the great wide open! I flipping never thought goat hunting would be so fun!!

I will be going antelope hunting next yea with my gfs grandpa in wyoming. They go about every year and hunt only public land. They just went out this last season leaving end of september and getting back beginning of october. There was 5 of them with 2 tags each I believe and got all 10 the first day of hunting. There is definetely plenty of animals to kill for all of you and you will have a great time