• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof carbon long shot strings/high rate of fire

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
Looking for some pointed of reference from people who have used proof carbon barrels for relatively high rate of fire. Here is some context.

I hunt varmints with a .223 rem. It’s common to shoot 20-25 rounds in a short period of time suppressed before letting the barrel cool. I currently is a short MTU profile barrel. Issue is I commonly hike in quite some distance to hunt and the additional weight is cumbersome at times.

What is your expirence with poi shift after heat soak with small caliber proof carbon barrels.

Thanks in advance.

If the results were really good or really bad, there would be lots of YouTube content. Ive wondered the same thing

It's mirage,

If you shoot a carbon fiber barrel you need a mirage band,

We have 25x+ power scopes, you guys will want to shoot it on 25x and then as soon as see you mirage in the scope with a carbon fiber barrel, instead of stopping you keep shooting and wonder why it walks

You have to be smarter than the barrel, and know if you put a heat sink on your gun and heat and optics don't mix

Reactions: Forrest84
I test mine to a 20 shot string to ensure they don't walk, whether 223 or 6mm CM. This is to check there won't be an issue on a big stage at a match. Haven't had an issue so far in over a dozen CF Proof barrels.

Reactions: bwo44
Be it through mirage, heat sink/flex, or whatever, I’ve tested and noticed significant POI shift (high) with any more than 10-12 round strings of fire from cold.

Mind you, these were Proof, XCal, and Christiansen barrels chambered in 6.5PRC, .25 Creed, and 6.5 Creed respectively. You might have a little more leniency with .223, but I would say overall they are not optimized for long strings or high rates of fire.

I’ve also run a lot of rounds through carbon barrels both in gassers and bolt. Haven’t seen a shift, not with 308, 223, 6.5 or 6cm.

I did not personally go beyond 20 rounds though. It’s possible with a string longer it could happen. 20 is where I always stopped so that much I can attest to.

It's mirage,

If you shoot a carbon fiber barrel you need a mirage band,

We have 25x+ power scopes, you guys will want to shoot it on 25x and then as soon as see you mirage in the scope with a carbon fiber barrel, instead of stopping you keep shooting and wonder why it walks

You have to be smarter than the barrel, and know if you put a heat sink on your gun and heat and optics don't mix
I am referring to actual poi shift not perceived poi shift. I personally have never had poi shift with my steel barrels. I have no experience with the proof CF barrels so I figured I would ask. Mirage is something we all deal with, but a carbon should be better in this regard due to its insinuative properties. Have you put high rate of fire through the proof carbon blanks? If so, this is good news.

I am referring to actual poi shift not perceived poi shift. I personally have never had poi shift with my steel barrels. I have no experience with the proof CF barrels so I figured I would ask. Mirage is something we all deal with, but a carbon should be better in this regard due to its insinuative properties. Have you put high rate of fire through the proof carbon blanks? If so, this is good news.
Maybe listen to the guy that knows a thing or two about shooting rifles. Frank has discussed this issue wit PROOF cf barrels many times. I’ve used many CF barrels myself, and he’s absolutely right. The barrels themselves are accurate and don’t shift. The shift you get is mirage coming off the barrel. They don’t insulate heat, the CF rapidly moves it away from the steel core. This can happen in just a few shots. I only use CF for hunting rifles and tend to only use 3 shot strings when zeroing. However I have used them in PRS matches without issue.

Reactions: DIBBS