• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Pre-fit Barrels for TL3, review?

amedeo1227

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
Thibodaux, LA
I did a quick google search, and it didn't bring up anything that was basic and to the point. So, I apologize if this has been covered a million times:

Just bought my first custom action, and I want to get more barrels. Its a TL3, and I know Proof makes shouldered pre-fits. Is there anything special i am not taking into consideration? Do i just order one chambered in 6mm Creed and screw it on? Any reviews on how they perform vs a custom shop?

You’re correct but you will also need a action wrench, barrel vise, lithium grease, torque wrench, go/no-go gauges. I can’t really give you any advice on chambers.

I currently have a PROOF 6 CM Competition Contour on my TL3. It was purchased from another Hide member.

The shouldered prefits literally screw onto the action you insert your action wrench in and tighten to 75-80 Ft lbs and go shoot it. Another option is a barrel with a barrel nut.

Either way, it is easy.

that part I'm aware of, and i appreciate the response, more or less curious how the factory pre fits from proof perform?

I have one and have shot a couple of others on friends' rifles. IMO Proof is right up there with Brux, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc... Their stainless barrels hammer and their CF barrels are the best CF barrels I've shot.

And yes, TL3's are consistent enough that barrel makers can run head space and tennon length to the number and it'll work on every TL3.

The only downside to a Proof pre fit barrel is that you are limited to SAAMI chambers. The 6 creed has a pretty long throat.

The only downside to a Proof pre fit barrel is that you are limited to SAAMI chambers. The 6 creed has a pretty long throat.

this is the answers i was looking for

i know they are a great manufacturer, im not doubting that, curious how well the pre-fits group?

I have used a few barrel nut prefits from Proof and they have been the best I have used. Better than Criterion, Shillen, McGowan, etc. Proof is a top quality product.

Reactions: Ledzep
I have one on order from April 27th, just called this week and they told me it would be at least 4 more weeks before I would get it. I got impatient and picked up a barrel off here, still deciding if I am going to keep the order for a spare barrel or cancel it.

I have one on order from April 27th, just called this week and they told me it would be at least 4 more weeks before I would get it. I got impatient and picked up a barrel off here, still deciding if I am going to keep the order for a spare barrel or cancel it.

I would keep it...

It’s always nice to have an extra barrel laying around. Plus, depending on how much you shoot it would allow you to always have one on hand. Especially with the current lead times!