• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrels

If for instance an AR15(1/2"X28) thread, the length of the tip should be at least 1/2" long, AR10 (5/8"X24) should be 5/8" long.

Interesting. I have never seen any brake or suppressor manufacturer recommend a 0.75" thread length for Class 3A 3/4-24 threads. Most thread lengths I have seen are 0.6-0.625" long (AAC, TBAC, Badger, etc), depending on the length of the corresponding 3B thread. My understanding is you always want the A length to be less than the B length so that you don't get carbon accumulation on any exposed A thread, resulting in a stuck muzzle device. But I just read things on the internet and farm out my machining to experts.

Academic discussion aside, the 3/4-24 threads on my Proof barrel are considerably shorter than 0.75" in length, and I have not had any problems.

The length to diameter rule was from a friend who's an old school machinist. He's pretty set in his ways and I remember him telling me that. The Thunder Beast video makes a lot of sense.

I put a proof in my RPR. The barrel shot OK but the chamber was cut far too deep. To get to .015 off of the lands put me at just under mag length using my AI mags. I couldn't have gotten within .030 with the factory Magpul mags. I was disappointed in that to say the least. I shot 300 rounds through that barrel but decided to rebarrel again with a Bartlien so I could shote remainder of the matches this season. Everything with the Bartlein is as expected and it will be several thousand rounds before I need to thin about OAL again.

So I figured I'd throw this out there since I started this thread in case there's a person out there thinking about a custom rifle build and where to source components...because that was the boat I was in when I started down this path.

I purchased the barrel from Core Shooting Solutions along with a couple other items. They are fantastic to work with. They're extremely helpful, not pushy, and very responsive via phone and email...even at 10:30pm believe it or not. I figured I'd get an email response back the next day or day-and-a-half later but I received responses (plural) minutes later.

I believe they're out of Florida and I think their handle is @CORESHOOTING if you're looking to get in touch with them in the forum.

Hats off to Josh and the team at @CORESHOOTING. Thanks for making this process painless.

And for anyone wondering...I have zero affiliation with this company.

I second that Josh from CORE is a awesome guy. I have received answers via email on sundays also. When i shop CORE is my first stop.

Not to really throw a wrench into the equation here but I went with Hardy Carbon fiber barrel based on my Smith's recommendation. It's mostly personal preference from what it sounds like but there is a little more steel on each end of the barrel to work with on the Hardy for threading. And ya... it shoots pretty well but any good smith should make a good barrel shoot well.

Attachments

• IMG_5460.JPG
    IMG_5460.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5420.JPG
    IMG_5420.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Aceteck
I'm running proof carbon fiber barrels on my 6mm creedmoor, .308 and 300 win mag. All have performed great, sub 1/2 moa at 200 yards, no issues with heat dissipation shooting at matches and they just look dang sexy!

Attachments

• freedom 9.jpg
    freedom 9.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 127
Did you use oven or air cure cerakote??

Just finished a build with a Proof CF in 308 for a mid-weight hunting gun that I could still take out on the weekend and shoot matches with. Going with a CF barrel was my only option to keep it lighter weight but still able to handle some strings of fire. I've gotta say I've been very, very pleased with mine! With that said, there's no way I'd spend the extra money if weight wasn't a concern on this particular gun. I haven't noticed any other benefits of carbon fiber other then weight. I shoot it just as I do my steel barrel and it doesn't seem to act different, but I generally don't put more than a mag through any barrel without letting it cool afterwards.

I didn't know you could cerakote them either, but when I saw one cerakoted I had to black out the chrome!

200 yard 5 shot group - factory Gold Medal Match.

View attachment 6906482

9.5lbs as pictured and the only sacrifice I made for weight was going with a lighter scope. Otherwise it's got everything I normally wouldn't put on a hunting gun (stock choice, full pic rail, precision rings, and muzzle brake).

View attachment 6906485

Just finished a build with a Proof CF in 308 for a mid-weight hunting gun that I could still take out on the weekend and shoot matches with. Going with a CF barrel was my only option to keep it lighter weight but still able to handle some strings of fire. I've gotta say I've been very, very pleased with mine! With that said, there's no way I'd spend the extra money if weight wasn't a concern on this particular gun. I haven't noticed any other benefits of carbon fiber other then weight. I shoot it just as I do my steel barrel and it doesn't seem to act different, but I generally don't put more than a mag through any barrel without letting it cool afterwards.

I didn't know you could cerakote them either, but when I saw one cerakoted I had to black out the chrome!

200 yard 5 shot group - factory Gold Medal Match.

View attachment 6906482

9.5lbs as pictured and the only sacrifice I made for weight was going with a lighter scope. Otherwise it's got everything I normally wouldn't put on a hunting gun (stock choice, full pic rail, precision rings, and muzzle brake).

View attachment 6906485

Very nice! What is length of that one? I’m doing a 6mm CM with bravo chassis and ordering a proof.

Question on Proof carbon barrel... almost 2 year old thread, but still relevant - my AIAX pre-fit 26” 308 for F-TR arrived on the weekend, unlike my original AI barrel, the Proof barrel didn’t ship with a protective cap (5/8x24)... I called Proof to purchase a “cap”... to run without a brake and a thread protector to store the barrel when not in use.... Proof responded - they don’t offer them (?). Perhaps a lost opportunity- does anybody have a suggestion where I could source “thread protectors”? Thanks!

Here’s a group I shot yesterday at 300 yards w my 338 LM AI while fire forming brass. This barrel has been very accurate from the start.

Attachments

• 3AC100E6-2191-4B9C-A618-30543EE2855A.jpeg
    3AC100E6-2191-4B9C-A618-30543EE2855A.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 63
  • 4BC96789-712E-4ABF-9F3B-BCBACB3801A8.jpeg
    4BC96789-712E-4ABF-9F3B-BCBACB3801A8.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 60
As you can see i never sighted my scope in for this load. Wasn't really serious about shooting groups as the AI loads run 300 FPS faster.

A buddy of mine is claiming that his buddy can only shoot 5-8 rounds of 300wm before mirage was so bad. "It dissapated heat so fast he couldn't see shit". He's claiming it to be a hunting gun only, not a range gun or comp gun.

Although I haven't been following this topic, this is the first I heard about this. Has anyone encountered this? I'm looking to put one on my ar10 308 with a tbac u9.

A buddy of mine is claiming that his buddy can only shoot 5-8 rounds of 300wm before mirage was so bad. "It dissapated heat so fast he couldn't see shit". He's claiming it to be a hunting gun only, not a range gun or comp gun.

Although I haven't been following this topic, this is the first I heard about this. Has anyone encountered this? I'm looking to put one on my ar10 308 with a tbac u9.
Sounds like hearsay from someone who heard something from someone who ... Might be more of an illusion than a mirage. Then again it all depends on humidity and temperature, in some sweltering jungle 5 -8 ...

Got one of those coming in 1 - 3 weeks, same specs except for a Zermatt Arms TL3. Thanks for posting!

That can certainly be true. Your friend's friend may need a mirage shield of some kind if they want to shoot longer strings with that cartridge.

I'm gonna grab a Proof CF Barrel for the 6.5 PRC build for this year's hunting season. They're top-notch people over there too.

Do you think the mirage was due more to the 300wm than the barrel "dissapating heat to fast"? That was my first thought. But then again, wouldn't that be a good thing? Cooling the barrel quicker, but coming at a cost of excessive mirage? I'm looking at putting it on a 308.

Do you think the mirage was due more to the 300wm than the barrel "dissapating heat to fast"? That was my first thought. But then again, wouldn't that be a good thing? Cooling the barrel quicker, but coming at a cost of excessive mirage? I'm looking at putting it on a 308.

I'm sure 300WM is making it worse but smaller cartridges have the same problem. Proof CF barrels cool more efficiently than steel which means more mirage.

@Cascade Hemi @corey4

I think a lot of the mirage might depend on the barrel profile. I have run 10-12 rounds through my proof practicing stages in 1.5-2minutes w/ no significant mirage coming from the barrel. Now, the suppressor on the other hand without a cover yes, 100%. It truly is amazing how cool the barrel stays compared to conventional steel

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I'm sure 300WM is making it worse but smaller cartridges have the same problem. Proof CF barrels cool more efficiently than steel which means more mirage.
Once you get any barrel above 165 degrees Fahrenheit you'll get mirage, however with a typical PROOF Research Sendero Contour I haven't seen any after 5 - 8 rounds, unless it is a really hot day in a really humid climate. Maybe the friend of a friend should clarify a bit and state some of the particulars and environmental stats before we get someone to make a blanket declaration that "PROOF barrels are more prone to mirage, not ready for prime time, and basically crap". Hearsay negatives just don't have a lot of weight for me. Just sayin' ...

@Cascade Hemi @corey4

I think a lot of the mirage might depend on the barrel profile. I have run 10-12 rounds through my proof practicing stages in 1.5-2minutes w/ no significant mirage coming from the barrel. Now, the suppressor on the other hand without a cover yes, 100%. It truly is amazing how cool the barrel stays compared to conventional steel

If you're talking about your AI, half of your barrel is covered by a HG/rail. It won't mirage the same way an uncovered barrel will. I have a Proof CF barrel under a 15" handguard and I can do mag dumps without mirage. My 6CM CF barrel only takes about 10 rounds before mirage is obvious. Obviously environmental conditions affect mirage but but side by side I can replicate it at will.

Once you get any barrel above 165 degrees Fahrenheit you'll get mirage, however with a typical PROOF Research Sendero Contour I haven't seen any after 5 - 8 rounds, unless it is a really hot day in a really humid climate. Maybe the friend of a friend should clarify a bit and state some of the particulars and environmental stats before we get someone to make a blanket declaration that "PROOF barrels are more prone to mirage, not ready for prime time, and basically crap". Hearsay negatives just don't have a lot of weight for me. Just sayin' ...

If you think my opinion exists in a vacuum then you're mistaken. There's plenty of well regarded shooters making the same observations I am. If I'm not mistaken Frank has stated as much in his podcasts too.

Reactions: cropdude
It doesn't take long before I'm fucked anyway with the mirage from the can. (Yes I have a cover).

This friend of a friend is kind of a know it all. I've only met him twice. The second time he took a look at my rifle; remmy 5r, razor gen2, atlas bipod and tbac u9. He pretty much said my gear was junk lol. The scope was a turd and the atlas was a piece of crap. I just shrugged it off, I don't really care.

Anyways...I'm looking to shed some weight on my ar10. Going with the proof takes it down .75lbs from the steel barrel and I would gain 2". I guess I should take note of how many rounds it takes for mirage to set in in a normal fire sequence, not mag dumping. I haven't shot in about a year, so I really don't recall right now.

The driving force behind me looking at a proof is the weight savings, if it's really worth $800 for .75lb weight reduction and 2 extra inches. (Currently 18", but I want 20"). I'm not looking to rebarrel just for the 2 extra inches, it's just a bonus.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
If you're talking about your AI, half of your barrel is covered by a HG/rail. It won't mirage the same way an uncovered barrel will. I have a Proof CF barrel under a 15" handguard and I can do mag dumps without mirage. My 6CM CF barrel only takes about 10 rounds before mirage is obvious. Obviously environmental conditions affect mirage but but side by side I can replicate it at will.

You would still get mirage from the uncovered part of the barrel. I exhibit no mirage w/ the above pictured setup. Now if I take the cover off the suppressor mirage appears from the suppressor.

Also fairly certain I got the Bull type barrel that thing is thick

Last edited:
I get shit tons of mirage off both my PRC barrels (22" 6.5creed, and 24" 300wsm) but both are hunting rigs so other than sighting in or practicing its not usually an issue but its definatly there. Both rifles are in manners stocks and Sendero contour barrels.

In process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Mausingfield action. I'm curious if anyone has experience with Proof Research carbon fiber barrels. I'm not going to lie...I have a healthy obsession with carbon fiber stuff. I've heard they're slightly lighter than a steel barrel but not sure about any other benefits that come from them. If any of you have experience either way it would be good to know.

I'm told that Bartlein and Pac-Nor barrels are good too. I don't have a lot of experience with this so any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I've also posted some questions about triggers for this rifle here...if you've got input on that as well that would be great. Thanks!

A guy on my shooting team is sponsored by proof barrels and he has used about a half dozen rolls or more so far. So far they have all shot really well.

the Proof barrels are Considerably lighter than conventional of considerably lighter than conventional all steel barrels. Something else that is different about the proof barrels is that they do not get hot to the touch on the carbon area. So after a string of shooting you can grab the barrel of the rifle and not burn your hand. I am not sure that that is an advantage of any kind but it is a difference.

The price of a proof barrel is significantly higher than a conventional all steel barrel and you are not necessarily going to get a longer barrel life out of the proof carbon barrel.

I personally only use match grade barrel’s on all of my rifles and I tend to use cut rifle brands such as Krieger , bartlein, etc. I have found that about 75% of barrels from these best manufacturers are exceptionally good shooting. The remaining 25% shoot reasonably well but might not shoot as well as the others.

I bought a Sendero 24” .264 barrel blank in CF from Proof and got it chambered in 6.5cm. I’m only on 87rds total through it, but this was one of my 100yd groupings on my last outing. Using Defender 147gr SMK. I imagine it’ll tighten up a bit more once over 100rds. This was bipod only. No bags or support

Attachments

• BCB54092-D0DF-428E-B772-CB0B4B949E17.jpeg
    BCB54092-D0DF-428E-B772-CB0B4B949E17.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 43
I just finished a build with a Proof barrel - a 28" Sendero contour on a 28 Nosler. It is my first CF barrel, so my sample size is very small, but here are my initial impressions (up until now I have only ever used Bartlein and Krieger).

Cosmetically: The Proof is downright gorgeous. I am with you on carbon fiber; it just has a unique and awesome look, and the Proof is particularly well executed in this regard.

Accuracy: The Proof seems to be comparable to my Bartleins and Kriegers chambered by the same smith. Half MOA consistently, showing signs of even better. Only a sample size of one barrel though. I have had 10+ Bartleins/Kriegers all shoot lights out, so I am more confident when describing the accuracy of those barrels based on consistent, repeated performance.

Weight: It is not as light as you might think. It is definitely lighter than a steel barrel of the same contour, but the weight savings are not game changing to me. I saved about half a pound over a light palma steel barrel.

Finish: The biggest difference I have noticed between the Proof and my Bartleins/Kriegers was the level of carbon fouling. I don't know if that is attributable to the level of finish lapping, but I can say that all else being equal (powder, primer, projectile), the Proof fouls more and faster than my other barrels. Since mine is a hunting rifle that will never see extended strings, this isn't a big problem for me. The Proof also took way longer to break in than my other barrels (by break in, I mean the point at which copper fouling becomes negligible). I have seen Bartleins stop copper fouling in as few as three shots. I was still running multiple KG12 patches to clean copper out of the Proof at 60 rounds.

Price: Come on. We are talking about carbon fiber. You know what you are getting into.

All in all, I am happy with the Proof. It makes for an especially gorgeous rifle when paired with a carbon fiber Manners EH-1. For high volume target rifles, I will probably stick to steel barrels with cost being a main driver.

thanks for this write up. I am seriously considering a 16" proof barrel for my Fix rifle and this helped make the decision.

I have a proof barreled 300 Win on a Nucleus. It is a good shooter with factory ammo, and I have yet to figure out a good load for it. But I have not put a lot of work into it.

Powder shortages have limited me to H1000, but I am almost out. I have tried 150 Grain Barnes X, 150 Grain GMX, 185 Grain Berger, ELDX and a few others.

Factory ELDX hunting shoots little bitty groups. Fatory ELD X Match shoots pretty good.

Maybe I should just shoot factory.

The barrel is a 28 inch 1 in 9.4 twist. I wish it was a 300 Weatherby or 300 PRC with that long barrel.

I have a proof barreled 300 Win on a Nucleus. It is a good shooter with factory ammo, and I have yet to figure out a good load for it. But I have not put a lot of work into it.

Powder shortages have limited me to H1000, but I am almost out. I have tried 150 Grain Barnes X, 150 Grain GMX, 185 Grain Berger, ELDX and a few others.

Factory ELDX hunting shoots little bitty groups. Fatory ELD X Match shoots pretty good.

Maybe I should just shoot factory.

The barrel is a 28 inch 1 in 9.4 twist. I wish it was a 300 Weatherby or 300 PRC with that long barrel.

If you can't find a good load with those bullets. Try 73-74 gr of h1k behind a 225eldm .020 off the lands

Reactions: FjallJager
Had Montour County build a 7wsm with Proof barrel and it shoots lights out. Plus it looks amazing, and is super lightweight.

Had Montour County build a 7wsm with Proof barrel and it shoots lights out. Plus it looks amazing, and is super lightweight.

I agree! I have one on my 7 mag and and it looks great! Plus, it helps keep a light rifle a bit more balanced than an all-steel barrel of the same contour

Reactions: BlkZ06
Here is a negative that is still in the works. Area 419 put together a 308 last September. Tenacity, 22” proof sendero 10 twist in a AG composite stock, diamond trigger. Shoots ok with factory ammo without a 30-p1. The suppressor on makes cold or warm gun shoot consistently lower with each shot.

area419 has had the gun since December 10th. The best group they can produce with it is .883 with out a suppressor. I have now involved proof as well. Maybe I am just unlucky with this particular barrel and no its not the suppressor. shoots like it should on my other guns.

I only own one PF barrel. It is a 16" 308 lightweight build. I would put it in the same category as Krieger for accuracy (I own 3 Krieger barrels). Most of my other 308's use 168 grain bullets and 43 or 44 grain of varget. The PF barrel was no different. With previous handloads I took it out and shot 5/8" group with it. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

If I ever built a super nice hunting rifle it would be 7 saum with a proof.
All the 7mm short action cartridges arepretty awesome.

Reactions: BlkZ06