• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof/suppressor problem?

Ive had the exact opposite experience. Can off, open groups. Can on, Tightens right up. Proof Sendaro 20" 6.5CM

Reactions: Secant
Ive had the exact opposite experience. Can off, open groups. Can on, Tightens right up. Proof Sendaro 20" 6.5CM

I hear you. I’m had my 6.5CM changed from a proof to a bartlien that Tim Roberts is putting together for me.

I hear you. I’m had my 6.5CM changed from a proof to a bartlien that Tim Roberts is putting together for me.

I should note that particular rifle has yet to be bedded, so I will have to give it an honest stab at it before i discredit any portion of it

Finally had some time this 5 day weekend to sneak away from the family and join a friend for some trigger time with this .308 since it has come back from Proof Research. We put on his ultra 7 .30 cal can and what do you know it shot just fine. Every box of factory ammo was under 1”. The federal 168smk was damn near 1 hole if you did your part. Federal 168 Berger hunter hybrid grouped almost 1/2”. We proceeded to put on my 30-p1 and it still shot just as good. I even brought out the old targets to let him look them over before we shot.

I have no clue what proof did other than we speculate they re-torqued everything on the rifle. I take back everything negative I said about area419 and proof. This is a shooter for sure now lol.

I kept shooting until noon and didn’t take any pictures of the groups but you have to take my word for it. I will post a group the next time I’m out

happy Labor Day🇺🇸

Attachments

• 0A9219B1-35E7-4DC1-9FE8-E4C004DF6072.jpeg
    0A9219B1-35E7-4DC1-9FE8-E4C004DF6072.jpeg
    949.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
I revived a phone call from proof Tuesday. The gun was broke down and torqued to their specs. I doubt area419 did anything wrong but maybe pulling off the barrel and putting back on changed the harmonics or timing. Either way it’s a laser now.

So I’m having the same issue with my AI prefit 16.5” proof carbon 308 barrel. Shot fine with fed GMM 168 SMK’s with my Area 419 hellfire brake. Throw my TBAC ultra 9 on the gun, poof. It’s like I’m just intentionally horizontally stringing shots. Tried working up loads with zero luck which is depressing in and of itself.

Previous owner had good luck with the barrel with a surefire can as he had put less than 50 rounds through it. Had my buddy shoot it, still shot like shit, had a local gunsmith scope the bore and he said the barrel looks brand new with very little fouling(250ish rounds down it). Have an email into proof to see what they say. Mildly depressing but after seeing the customer service report on here, I’m sure they’ll take care of me.

So I’m having the same issue with my AI prefit 16.5” proof carbon 308 barrel. Shot fine with fed GMM 168 SMK’s with my Area 419 hellfire brake. Throw my TBAC ultra 9 on the gun, poof. It’s like I’m just intentionally horizontally stringing shots. Tried working up loads with zero luck which is depressing in and of itself.

Previous owner had good luck with the barrel with a surefire can as he had put less than 50 rounds through it. Had my buddy shoot it, still shot like shit, had a local gunsmith scope the bore and he said the barrel looks brand new with very little fouling(250ish rounds down it). Have an email into proof to see what they say. Mildly depressing but after seeing the customer service report on here, I’m sure they’ll take care of me.

does it shoot without the can on?

This is with out the can. 7 shots. I yanked the right one so I excluded it. not great but decent and consistent POI
B20547F4-4470-463A-9963-3729E03C85ED.png

With the can. Terrible horizontal stringing and zero consistency. While it’s MOA it’s embarrassing. All of these were shot the same night after cleaning the chamber per my smiths recommendation with 3 foulers / sighters and then the braked group and then the two suppressed groups. Everything was tight and good. Shot with FGMM 168GR SMK’s. Got a response Monday, emailed them back, and haven’t heard from them again.

5F3BB704-9180-4F6B-ACF6-BC7BAF363A5F.png
5D98F4B2-13DE-4694-A7ED-86A42BCC3CCF.png

Phone call is much better to proof. You should be able to have them go over your barrel. Your going to have to send them the rifle so they can figure out what is causing it shoot horizontally strings. I’m not a fan or prefits but could you explain how you mate your barrel up? Does your other barrel of same caliber shoot good?

Phone call is much better to proof. You should be able to have them go over your barrel. Your going to have to send them the rifle so they can figure out what is causing it shoot horizontally strings. I’m not a fan or prefits but could you explain how you mate your barrel up? Does your other barrel of same caliber shoot good?
I’m gonna give it a few more days but I’ll be calling if I don’t hear anything soon. AI prefits should be fine but shit happens I guess. I hand tighten it and then torque the grub screw to 49in lbs per AI. The 6.5cm barrel absolutely hammers. Shoots sub 1/2” consistently.

I’m gonna give it a few more days but I’ll be calling if I don’t hear anything soon. AI prefits should be fine but shit happens I guess. I hand tighten it and then torque the grub screw to 49in lbs per AI. The 6.5cm barrel absolutely hammers. Shoots sub 1/2” consistently.
Did you have any luck with it? The more smiths I talk to about it they are leaning more towards the barrel was lapped by proof. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Did you have any luck with it? The more smiths I talk to about it they are leaning more towards the barrel was lapped by proof. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I sold it to a guy under full disclaimer. Proof never got back to me about it and I didn’t feel like messing with it. Ended up with a 20” lothar walther 308 barrel for my AI.

Reactions: STLSteve86
I sold it to a guy under full disclaimer. Proof never got back to me about it and I didn’t feel like messing with it. Ended up with a 20” lothar walther 308 barrel for my AI.

I would give bartlein a try if you ever go carbon again.

Reactions: Krob95