• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Proper Scope Zero

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
Hello, I have jsut purchased my first scope and had it mounted to my 700P by a professional, this may seem a stupid question but is there a proper way to zero a scope or is it just purely shooting and adjusting the scope to align? Additionally, once the scope is zeroed is there a way on a Nightforce 5.5-22 to reset the turrets to zero? I realize this is a very basic question but I am pretty new to shooting with a scope.

Thanks,
Taylor

Re: Proper Scope Zero

Yes

If it was properly installed (square) you just shoot and adjust the scope to hit your intended point of aim.

After you zero it, just loosen the small allen head screws in the caps and then it will turn freely. Return the knobs to zero, fire to confirm and stretch her out

You had the scope mounted by a professional? Meaning you paid somebody to do it. Mistake one, but you're only on probation for that.
smile.gif

NEVER, I repeat NEVER let anybody else mount your scope unless you know beyond doubt that they are skilled, experienced, and responsible as if they had paid their own hard-earned money for that gear. Even then, I would NEVER let somebody mount a scope on my rifle if I could possibly do it, i.e. while I still have hands and eyesight!

If you're not comfortable mounting a scope to your rifle, then you should stand by and watch/help while an aforementioned qualified person takes the lead in this very simple -- but important -- task.

Here's how to boresight. Remove the bolt from your UNLOADED rifle. Put the UNLOADED rifle in a cradle or benchrest or something to hold it very steady. Peek through the bore at your target downrange, or a stop sign down the street, or whatever is handy at 50-100y or so away. Align the object in the center of the bore.

Next, peek through the scope without moving the rifle and see where the reticle is in relation to your target that you centered in the bore. While keeping the rifle in this position, adjust the scope knobs so the reticle intersects your target. Peek again through the bore to ensure the target is still centered, then again through the scope as a double check. Fine tune as necessary.

First shot will be on paper. Now aim at that first bullet hole, and while holding the rifle in that position, adjust the scope so that the reticle intersects the bullseye. Second shot should be very close to POA (point of aim).

What you want, Taylor, is for POA (point of aim) to be the same as POI (point of impact).

Sure, you can reset the turrets to zero. You loosen the set screws in the turrets, and disengage the turret by lifting it up a bit, then rotate it to the zero mark, press it back in place, and snug up the set screws. Another trick, which I think is a safeguard in case you forget which rotation of the knob you are on, is to remember how much MOA adjustment you have between the bottom of your scope's adjustment range and your 100y zero.

So, count the knob rotations, or the clicks if you prefer, and figure out the MOA between bottom and 100y zero. If you ever forget where you are during a match on your come ups at longer range, you can always dial back to bottom, then up to zero, then gauge your come ups accordingly.

Good luck, and good shooting.

Thank you very much Nate, I had Sterling Shooter (hidename) install the scope when I purchased it from him at his store in Louisville, KY. I did watch him and he explained each step to me. I know what you mean though, I have a tick about letting anyone else change my oil in my vehicle. The zeroing advice is excellent I hadnt even considered that but it makes perfect sense as to not waste several rounds trying to accomplish the same task. Thanks again.

Sterling Shooter? Goodonya. That dude *is* a professional.
smile.gif

LOL on the oil change. I still do that to my vehicle, even though it takes 30 minutes, "saves" me about five bucks, and then I have to deal with the mess. But, like checking my tire pressure, I can say I did it myself.

If you can manage a range trip with Mr. Ludwig, I'd say you're well on the way to success. He's the kind of mentor we should all be so lucky to know.

As to the bore sight thing I mentioned, I once used it to hit paper on the first shot at the 600y line to begin a BR match. I had changed scopes the night before, and figured it wouldn't be a disaster. I got lucky, but it was a calculated risk.

It pains me to see guys lobbing rounds down range from Dad's .30-30 while their buddies watch with $19.00 binoculars trying to spot hits because there's nothing on paper. A box and a half later, and they're still wondering...

Cheers from the left coast.

I shoot at 25 yards once a new scope is mounted and then after 2 rounds there and on target move it to 1000. You will only be a couple of inches off. Starting too far out can lead to frustration if you aren't hitting paper.

Yeah Charles is the real deal, I will be headed to the range with him sometime this summer, I just cant get a monday off for now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot at 25 yards once a new scope is mounted and then after 2 rounds there and on target move it to 1000. You will only be a couple of inches off. Starting too far out can lead to frustration if you aren't hitting paper. </div></div>

He's a damn fine shooter if he can go from 2 shots at 25yds then right to a grand... and be only a couple inches off...lol

I know what ya meant... just bustin ' your balls!

LOL Too many zeros. 100 would be easier
wink.gif