• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advanced Marksmanship Proper sling design and usage

z1_bam

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2008
Lethbridge Alberta
Hey

So with the talk of proper sling usage I was wondering what type of sling exactly would be the best for a bolt action rifle?

From what I can tell from searching there are a few different slings like the vickers, VTAC, giles or the traditional m1907 but only the latter two appears to be primarily designed as a shooting support. Is this correct and should I be looking at picking up a national match sling from turners or am I misunderstanding the usage of the other slings?

Any overall recommendations on a sling?

VICKERS.jpg

vtac_sling4.jpg

ching_od300.jpg

nwss1-500_50.jpg

Re: Proper sling design and usage

a sling is a tool....a means to an end....the gun don't give a rats ass what you lash to it.....get a sling to make the rifle work for you.....at what ever you do with that rifle...keep it simple

Thats kind of what I figured but wanted to double check before ordering up a bunch of crap so an order to turners is in order, thanks boltripper!

I like the GI web sling, the Garand type, set up with a loop for the upper arm. But injuries of late have made its use impractical for me.

What is less important is the sling design. There are several good ones out there, and they work fine. Turner makes an excellent version. The important thing is to learn how to use it properly.

When I was able to use the sling, I used it a lot and it worked well enough for me to trust it every bit as much as the rest, and more than the bipod.

I don't like bipods. Yes, I know they require technique; and I know the technique well enough to shoot 1/4MOA off a bench with one. But I also think they are at least as much trouble as they are worth.

I really resent not being able to use the sling these days.

Long story short and whines in the wastebasket; the elbow won't swing under the forearm, and no amount of physical therapy seems to help. The only good thing about banging one's head against that wall is the relief one feels when they stop.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z1_bam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats kind of what I figured but wanted to double check before ordering up a bunch of crap so an order to turners is in order, thanks boltripper!</div></div>

Bone/artificial support is an element of a steady position. The loop sling, as an artificial support, can provide up to about 65% better support for a steady position than bone alone. When properly used, it can be vice-like. It works when and where other aids to a steady support, such as a bipod, are not appropriate.

Like Greg, I like the loop sling over the bipod when time, rules, and/or circumstance permit.

I love a good leather Turner sling. That said TAB Gear (TBurkes on the post above) and TI both make great slings.

I have used the GI Web/Loop, TIS and TAB.

As above you are going to need to try some out and see what works for you.

Some of the slings you pictured are "carry straps" simply meant to retain the weapon when you let go. "Shooting Slings" are intended to better make the weapon an extension of your body.

When learning to use a sling, don't confuse comfort with effectiveness. A sling needs to be tight to be effective. Tight slings are not comfortable.

Believe it or not, I never learned to use a Turner sling so I can't comment on it.

Running GI web/1907 slings on just about every rifle I own. Not the most comfortable for carrying a rifle; but for shooting support, the primary reason I use them, they work great.

Man that's a nice rig Fredo.
Pistol grip is legal in Cal because it's not semi auto?
I haven't read up on the stupid-ass cal gun laws lately.
Those DTA's are nice.

The GI/Garand Web Sing's usage is enhanced by employing padding on the upper sling arm. The padding allows snug/firm attachment while aiding circulation. Restricted circulation leads to pulse interference with a steady hold.

Serious Highpower Match shooters wear shooting jackets which incorporate such padding on the upper sling arm as a basic part of their construction, as well as other areas, like elbows and the shooting shoulder.

The really soopahdoopah ones are made of Naugahyde (or leather), and are an abomination in warmer weather, because they trade off support at the expense of horrendous sweaty warmth. Serious attention needs to be paid to the potential for a heat casualty.

The Marine Corps Shooting Jacket is simpler, cheaper, and made of cotton. It breathes, and can be dampened down to serve as a sort of poor man's personal air conditioner.

I got mine from:

G.P. Maes Industries
19360 Rinaldi St #204
Northridge, CA 91326
Phone: 818-368-5747
Handles USMC shooting jackets.

Greg

PS a Web search to confirm the above data failed to uncover a web site for this company. I can't be certain they are still afloat.