• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros and Cons for a 20" vs. longer barrels for .30

BMerino

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Utah
Guys I'll be threading my barrel soon for my new Quicksilver can. My riflesmith says if I want to trim the barrel length on my rifle (currently 24")now is the time. The only reason I consider it is it would make it a little easier to use operationally. Looking for opinions on pro's and con's either way. Thanks in advance.

Re: Pros and Cons for a 20" vs. longer barrels for .30

Sorry, this is on a .308 rem 700 platform.

20" is plenty of tube on a 308.

If you're putting a can on it I would trim it down to 20" if it was mine. 24" + a can on the end would be pretty long.

It does not hurt accuracy having a shorter barrel, but it will lower your velocity a bit. Going from 24 to 20 shouldnt be too bad. You just have to figure what your scope adjustments will be for the lower velocity.

50fps is hardly a show stopper.

Luv the 20.
Operationally your unliklly to need to get to 1k much less anthing more than 300m, correct ?

With handloads your not going to suffer much of a loss.
eventhough handloads are probablly not getting in your rifle when on duty.

FYCN thanks for the info. I've half assed looked for this info and figured I would check in first and it was helpful. OilyOwl is 50 Fps really all that's lost with 4" cut? If I'm correct the only thing to worry about on lost velocity is scope corrections tend to increase?

You're right about distances and handloads. God knows a better round shouldn't be used that would be using common damn sense. Strictly prohibited in law enforcement. Longest deployment for me in 7 years in 192yrds. However up hunting I've noticed the likelyhood of shot's much further than 400 are hard to find too.

I cut my savage M10 to 20". it started life 24" I dunno what it chronoed at 24" but at 20" it launches 168gr GMM about 2625FPS. It seemed to pick up a touch of accuracy (could be the new crown). It's WAY more handy (I hunt with it). it took 10.8 mils to get to 950 yds with 175gr GMM the one time I shot that far. Bullets weren't doing anything stoopid out that far, but the driver was on a few shots.
wink.gif

When I finally get around to getting a .30 cal can it's going down 18"

HTH,
LM

I'm glad I found this thread. I was really sweating the 20 barrel vs the 24 or 26, but I guess I should just calm down and get one and shoot it.

i have no first hand experience with an oem barrel that short but i would bet that the velocity would be much greater with an aftermarket match barrel of the same length. i get pretty decent velocity out of my 18.5" bartlein tight bore barrel but you <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> be disappointed going from a 24" to a 20" remington barrel, depending on what you are doing with it. the people shooting shorter aftermarket match barrels with custom chambers probably shouldn't be the ones listened to when it comes to cutting your factory barrel down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50fps is hardly a show stopper. </div></div>

will you only loose 50 fps by cutting a 24" remington barrel down to 20"? is this with both factory ammo and hand loads? i honestly don't know is why i am asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50fps is hardly a show stopper. </div></div>

will you only loose 50 fps by cutting a 24" remington barrel down to 20"? is this with both factory ammo and hand loads? i honestly don't know is why i am asking.</div></div>

every barrel is different there is no true rule of thumb for cutting them down versus velocity loss.

We had a guy, cut a 26" 300WM down to 22" and only lost 30fps. you can figure about 10fps per inch, but it depends greatly from gun to gun.

300Sniper I agree with you about factory barrels vs. custom. I'm shooting a Rock Creek and have seen some considerable differances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50fps is hardly a show stopper. </div></div>

will you only loose 50 fps by cutting a 24" remington barrel down to 20"? is this with both factory ammo and hand loads? i honestly don't know is why i am asking.</div></div>

every barrel is different there is no true rule of thumb for cutting them down versus velocity loss.

We had a guy, cut a 26" 300WM down to 22" and only lost 30fps. you can figure about 10fps per inch, but it depends greatly from gun to gun. </div></div>

that's about what i was getting at. saying with certainty that he will loose "x" amount of velocity with a factory barrel may not be the best advise to give someone. the op needs to know what his intentions are with the rifle before he can make the decision if the <span style="font-style: italic">potential</span> velocity loss can be tolerated. i think it would be better to expect to loose more velocity than not and end up be disappointed because your rifle won't perform the way you need it to. if the rifle is used primarily for a 1k yard prone shooting, it would suck to cut it down expecting to only loose 50 fps and it ended up loosing 150+ fps. now if the rifle is used primarily for positional shooting inside of 500 yards and only an occasional 1k yard prone shot, the velocity loss, what ever amount that may be, may not make any difference to him at all.

Just to be sure I' m understanding low light correctly are you seeing less velocity loss in custom barrels? Or were you just giving a generalized expectation based on what you've seen?

I think he said every rifle is going to be different, custom or not.

I have cut two 26" 308 factory barrels down to 20 inches. A Rem SPSV lost about 60 fps in doing so while a Sav 10FP lost 75 fps on average. I did chronograpgh before and after cutting them using the same identical loads.

In my case, it was well worth it making them balance and handle a bit better witout losing a great deal of velocity. Without question, regardless of barrel length, the Savage is about 100fps faster than the Remington given the same loads. Accuracy seems unaffected, they both do very well for factory rifles.

Of course every barrel is different and your milage will vary, this is my actual experience with doing this.