• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pros and Cons of Warne Scope Mounts

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I have noticed like 99% of scope mounts secure vertically and Warne does it horizontally. What are the pros and cons to this design?

Re: Pros and Cons of Warne Scope Mounts

CONs: They are a bit more of a PITA to get your scope level and mounted than regular rings, IMHO

PRO's: They look different

What Bob said,
you can get pretty low with them too,
I have had zero problems with mine ....

I have them on a Rem700 7mmRM and they work great, but I like the TPS better.

Any tips on how to mount them correctly due to the differences?

I use a torque wrench when I do all my mounting and have levels avaliable.

Any tips?

loosely assemble them (both) around the scope with all screws, tilt into position ensuring that the recoil lug stays in place, tighten the bottom screws just tight enough that the scope is held properly, rotate for cross hair alignment, remove one bottom screw at a time, apply blue loctite and incremently torque up to 25 in lbs (per pair), recheck scope alignment, adjust if needed, tighten one rings worth of top screws with loctite to 25 in-lbs, confirm alignment, repeat for the other set.
A bit of a three handed job at first, and easier once you have done it.

I know it's old thread , but I wanted to throw a +1 for these, as the best rings for the money I've seen. Not too bad mounting, but just a note: see the online chart for measurements which are correct. The label on the packaging is not helpful. Low rings say applicable for 20-32mm objective, but my 40 fits with plenty of clearance for the covers. Top of base to bottom of scope body= 0.25".

I love them once they are on, kinda a PIA like the other guy said to get everything straight

Warne vertical mounts mean you cant rest the scope in the lower rings and move it around, try it out, take it out, put it back on. You need 3 hands for vertical rings. Problematic IMHO.

"the best rings for the money I've seen"

likewise

WARNE is a great company

A bit awkward, as stated. Best rings in the world as far as I am concerned. I have Warne bases and rings on ALL of my rifles except one, and that one has Warne rings and Talley base.

I use MED rings with my NF 3.5-15x50 and have plenty of room for the sunshade, even with a 20 MOA base.

The BIGGEST PRO: Made in the United States. I know lots of other stuff is too, but these are also made in Oregon, and I support as many companies as close to my home as I can.

I'm glad that I found this thread as I've been having trouble mounting my scope with my Warne rings.

Pros: built like a tank, looks good, made in USA

Cons: A little hard to properly mount. With my particular set of rings I cannot level out the cross-hairs according to the directions given.

I'll try the above mentioned menthod and report back.

been using them for years with zero problems
Sakos, Tikkas, Remingtons, etc..

I am not hard on my gear and don't go throwing it out of a truck... so, I can't say how they would hold up to abuse

I've used them on both personal and issued weapons, they are a bitch to get set right but they are also great rings (their rails are outstanding also).

they are built to withstand abuse
after breaking 3 sets of rings on a 6.5 lb 9.3x62 shooting 286s
i tried these and they did not break or malfunction
and yes it was like being in a car wreck every time you pulled the trigger