• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Protektor Rear Bag - Ear Spacing / Stock Insert Width?

Samuel Whittemore

in memory
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2018
    Looking at getting a top of the line Protektor rear bag. My question is: of the available ear spacings offered, if my rifle stocks are about 1" wide.. would I want the 1" spacing to totally set inside the ears at the bottom? Or (seems more logical) to allow for some wiggle up/down adjusting would I get a thinner width say 3/4"? Therefore it seems I could squeeze or loosen my grips on the ears for some micro adjustments.

Reactions: lash
    Looking at getting a top of the line Protektor rear bag. My question is: of the available ear spacings offered, if my rifle stocks are about 1" wide.. would I want the 1" spacing to totally set inside the ears at the bottom? Or (seems more logical) to allow for some wiggle up/down adjusting would I get a thinner width say 3/4"? Therefore it seems I could squeeze or loosen my grips on the ears for some micro adjustments.

You might want to call them and ask based on the width of your stock. You really won't get micro adjustment from the ears. I get it really close with my Phoenix, then slide forward or back slightly for the micro. I'm still getting comfortable with it, and have only shot with it twice - once to test at the range, and once at just over a mile then just over 2k yards, where it worked like a champ. I got the heavy sand and the one with the handle (highly recommended - I would have been pissed if I'd gotten the one without).

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    I have 2 one flat the other with the slope. Both are excellent products but for me I have yet to master their use. The guys I shot with yesterday used them with machine rests and were very successful. I used my TierOne F Class bipod and my old saracen bag managed a score for second ( small group of 6 ).
    As Rocket said get the handle they are heavy!
    Got mine from Midway filled.

Thanks... just broke and bought it. Got the rabbit ears, handle, heavy sand and silver easy slide surface... As if my gun tote bag wasn't heavy enough already... lol

Reactions: lash
    The are a good product for me. I'm still working on form and fundamentals.
    GOOD SHOOTING!

Thanks... just broke and bought it. Got the rabbit ears, handle, heavy sand and silver easy slide surface... As if my gun tote bag wasn't heavy enough already... lol

I don't put it in a bag/pack - just keep it by itself and carry it to/from the car by the handle.

The rabbit ears fit my 7/8 round and XLR bag rider really well.
    The easy slide is nice with a f class bipod or a Elite Iron with a rear jack like the 4AW unit.
    It just floats in there really nice.

bumping this as I have the same question - 3/4" where it doesn't sit at the "bottom" of the ears or 1" and it sits fully in there?

What did you go with?

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    bumping this as I have the same question - 3/4" where it doesn't sit at the "bottom" of the ears or 1" and it sits fully in there?

What did you go with?

My current custom half-height bag (for use with ABR) has the ABR sitting at the bottom. I think I would prefer a narrower one to provide more overall support. Have not tried it, so can't say for sure.