• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS, A2, or...?

gtriever

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Western KY
Guys, I'd like some info on different stock configurations for an Armalite AR10, 20" bbl. Right now it's sporting an A2 stock, but I'm wondering about changing it. Nobody in my area has a PRS in stock, and that's a chunk of change to lay out on something sight unseen that I may not like. Can you give me your likes and dislikes about the PRS or other stocks you may have used?

Re: PRS, A2, or...?

I have the PRS on a couple different ARs, including two 308 semi-autos. I like the PRS a lot and I recommend them. The stock has excellent adjustability, offers a great fit/feel, small butthook for weak-hand placement, rear rail for mounting a monopod if you desire, on and on...

On the downside...the PRS is a heavy mother and adding it to an AR-10 type rifle will only further increase weight on an already heavy rifle. I personally don't mind a little extra weight, but if you are planning on humping the rifle around the hills of Kentucky for hunting, you may want to go another route.

If you complete your profile to add the city/county you are located in...you may find a member here close to you that would let you take a look at a PRS equipped rifle. There are tons of members here from the Bluegrass State.

I have the PRS on my DPMS 308 and wouldn't go any other route. Yes it is heavy but worth it all the way. The PRS is a work of magpul at its peak I doubt anything better could come out for some time if ever. I just picked up a UBR for a rifle build and it seems like a great stock (Lighter than PRS) but more money also. For the AR-10 get a PRS you will like it. Watch the for sale section these come up every now and then at fair prices.

Magpul PRS is the shizzle. Length of pull and Cheekpiece - what else would you need.

I'd say the choice would be steered by what you want to do with the rifle.

I have two UBR stocks but, if I was going for a long barrelled precision rig, I'd lean towards the PRS. But I understand it makes cycling the charging handle difficult?

There was a similar discussion a while ago on PRS or UBR that may help you:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...418#Post1571418

I have both the PRS and the UBR and they are great. For a 20" 308 I would go PRS all the way if you are running a scope and the UBR if you are running a eo-tech/aimpoint or acog type sight do to the PRS having a adj. cheek and the UBR not having one.I havr yet to find any Magpul product I did not like. The reaso for picking one over the other has been always a issue of intended use. I whish they made a PRS or UBR to fit my FNAR. Maybe someday.Good luck.
Scot

They are good stocks, everything stated above is true.

One thing you may have to fix is here......

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...810#Post1392810

They also have a FLAT bottom, which I do not like on a field rifle, as you don't have the sloped surface on the bottom to slide a bag forward and back to adjust elevation on uneven surfaces.

If you shoot off a bench or prone on a flat surface all the time, it probably won't bother you.

I've went back to A1/A2 style stocks on my precision AR's for the above reason and weight savings.

OK, you guys have convinced me. I've just ordered the PRS and will give it a run. As a couple of you mentioned, it's gonna make for a heavy beast, but at my age the only thing this rifle's going to see is the range...
wink.gif

is there an adjustable LOP kit for the A2 to make it like the Knight butt stock?

I have a Magpul PRS on my .223 SPR, and my only minor complaint other than weight is the fact that the adjustable cheek piece is pretty much useless unless you normally mount your scope really high.

$255 is MSRP, but I saw a site for the PRS at something like $207. Thought I'd remember, but I don't. Someone help me out??

Midway sells the -15 PRS for 200, the -10 PRS is 240 retail.

If you have dealer privileges with Midway they're 180/205 respectively.

I never shot a PRS until a friend bought an LR260 and asked me to do some load development since I have easy access to a 600y range, he doesn't.

I have an AR10 PRS on the way for my -15 and I'll be ordering another one when I buy the rest of the AR10. You can use an AR10 on either rifle, but not an AR15 on an AR10 because the charging handle stoke is too long and you have to drop the cheek piece each time you stoke the handle.

If you have a side-charging AR10 it's not a problem, have a blast.

I like the PRS stock because of the adjustability. Depending on your scope your rings might be high and you would need to adjust your cheekweld. The LOP is also adjustable for your size as well. A cool feature is the 1913 bottom where you can attach a monopod if desired. I have one on my AR 10 and I love it. Another good thing is there is no play at all with mine so it almost feels like an A2 stock in that manner.

PRS is OK for it's adjustability, but the cheek piece doesn't go far enough forward for my liking and I think it's plain uncomfortable. For me, the A2 is a perfect height if using the Armalite scope mounts. I have VLTOR stocks on my AR15 and my 16" AR10 SASS, since it's more of a carbine.

UBR is very nice and lighter but now watch out for Chinese of both them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PRS is OK for it's adjustability, but the cheek piece doesn't go far enough forward for my liking and I think it's plain uncomfortable. For me, the A2 is a perfect height if using the Armalite scope mounts. I have VLTOR stocks on my AR15 and my 16" AR10 SASS, since it's more of a carbine. </div></div>

+1

Because of the charging handle the cheekpiece is located too far back to be used.

I now have a UBR on my AR10.

I honestly see no reason to run a PRS, unless you've got a 24" bull barrel or some other impractical beast.

Reason being, the A2 balances my 18.5" Noveske quite nicely, and neither me nor my shooting buddies (who are all different builds than me) have ever found need for adjustable LOP or cheek height on an AR. If you need a different LOP just get a 3-way buttplate for the A2, you'll still be money and weight ahead of the PRS.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PRS is OK for it's adjustability, but the cheek piece doesn't go far enough forward for my liking and I think it's plain uncomfortable. For me, the A2 is a perfect height if using the Armalite scope mounts. I have VLTOR stocks on my AR15 and my 16" AR10 SASS, since it's more of a carbine. </div></div>

I am in agreement that the cheek piece does not go far enough forward (to accommodate the charging handle pull). I use a Larue SPR mount which makes the A2 stock the perfect height to begin with. I do like the LOP adjustment, and the weight is ok with my heavy rifle.

This...

14v07ti.jpg

Magpul CTR. On my LR-308

Keep a low scope mount, and it works perfect. Rock solid. LoP adjustable. Lighter than PRS.

Fits me good. Especially when I wear my body armor....like to parties and cookouts.

I used to be a big fan of the PRS, now I find myself using the A2 stock more. I am currently building a SPR rifle that will use a SOPMOD stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PRS is OK for it's adjustability, but the cheek piece doesn't go far enough forward for my liking and I think it's plain uncomfortable. For me, the A2 is a perfect height if using the Armalite scope mounts. I have VLTOR stocks on my AR15 and my 16" AR10 SASS, since it's more of a carbine. </div></div>

+1

Because of the charging handle the cheekpiece is located too far back to be used.

I now have a UBR on my AR10. </div></div>

I'm in that category as well. I currently have a UBR, but would trade it for an A2 complete+cash.

I run a PRS on my DPMS LR-308. I like everything but the added weight. I have a badger 22 MOA rail on mine and with the Larue LT-104. I wouldn't trade it for any other stock. I have the UBR on my AR-15 and also like that. I guess I like the magpul products but that shouldn't be said without adding Vltor and the SOPMOD stocks to the list of great ones I have used. JMHO

I have a prs on both my ar15 and obr. I can't think of any other stock that would work as well for trying to shoot accurately. As noted, they aren't light though. But they make up for it in stability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try JSEsurplus.com </div></div>

AXEMAN,I was reading this post and getting ready to post a reply. Then I saw your new signature and forgot what I was going to post. Come to think of it, I cant remember what this thread was about.
Nice cans!

I really like the a2 stock. I got to try the PRS and it just added too much weight for me. This isn't a problem if you are shooting at a range but hauling it around all day gets old. Right now I sue a ar10 with a standard weight barrel and a2 stock. Much lighter than the M14's I was used to.