• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Build - Actions

Why is the Kelbly Atlas Tac never mentioned in these conversations? I understand it doesn’t have the ability to swap bolt heads, but the tiny bit I’ve messed with an Atlas or an Origin I was more impressed with the Atlas.. I wish someone would light up the Prometheus thread, those Kelbly boys seem like they are straight up! To the OP: I would just get an Impact, it will be cheaper in the long run..
I did look at the Kelbly Atlas. The only reason why the others are higher on my wish list is the pre-fit barrel compatibility

Reactions: DudeBro and Rob01
My next custom will be one of those but probably a origin. I love my defiance but the origin looks to be a better value.
I don't particularly like having a pinned recoil lug on the origin, it's just easier if it's made into to action, but it's not a big deal either. I have nothing but good things to say about my origin .

Reactions: jcmullis2
I don't particularly like having a pinned recoil lug on the origin, it's just easier if it's made into to action, but it's not a big deal either. I have nothing but good things to say about my origin .
I must have misread, I thought they had a integral recoil lug now. Yeah pinned recoil lug is definitely a minus in my book but not a show stopper. At least they’re pinned.

I had the same decision a couple months ago to make between the same actions and went with the origin. It’s around $125ish cheaper then the other two and from what I was told, they are now stainless steel instead of chromoly, so that’s a plus I guess. (That’s just what the guy I bought mine from said) and that gave me a little more to drop TT diamond in. But I LOVE my origin. Only 750 rounds on it but it has broken in SO WELL. So smooth in every way (bolt lift, and cycle) the bolt head takes like 30 seconds to change. My only complaint is that my bolt release is pretty stupid hard, you gotta press it just right lol. But the Mack Bro’s action might be worth looking at. I felt one at a match and it was silky smooth. And for under $600 it’s an awesome deal

Reactions: jcmullis2
I had the same decision a couple months ago to make between the same actions and went with the origin. It’s around $125ish cheaper then the other two and from what I was told, they are now stainless steel instead of chromoly, so that’s a plus I guess. (That’s just what the guy I bought mine from said) and that gave me a little more to drop TT diamond in. But I LOVE my origin. Only 750 rounds on it but it has broken in SO WELL. So smooth in every way (bolt lift, and cycle) the bolt head takes like 30 seconds to change. My only complaint is that my bolt release is pretty stupid hard, you gotta press it just right lol. But the Mack Bro’s action might be worth looking at. I felt one at a match and it was silky smooth. And for under $600 it’s an awesome deal
I just looked at the macbros $575 action and I’d definitely take one of those over a blueprinted factory action. However I’ll stick with the other custom actions for the time being. Maybe after I hear what the guys that have them say. They’re probably damn good though.

Hi All,

I am starting to plan out a PRS rifle build. I have decided on the stock and will be running a MDT ESS Chassis

Looking for some advice on custom actions. Actions I am looking at that falls in my budget:
Bighorn Origin
ARC Nucleus
Defiance Tenacity

Or the budget option:
Tikka T3X
Remington trued action

Please share your experiences with these

Also open to any other brands that falls in the same price range

Thanks in advance
Origin. You won't be disappointed!

The good news is there are a lot of great options, the bad news is there alot of great options . I will add "NYX ELITE" for a complete build or "NYX"

I am very much a Defiance guy, all 5 of the shooters on my team shoot Defiance actions (Abbie Shoots A Badrock Southfork). That being said, That Nucleus rifle is a killer value and hits all your needs. If you did not want to utilize your Savage barrels, I would say check out the Badrock Rifle for a Defiance option, but it like the Tenacity is Remington thread not Savage. My secondary match rifle is on a Nucleus action, very different feel than the Tenacity, but still a solid choice.

I recommend the Origin for a custom quality build at a very good price.

The Origin has all 5 features you mentioned.
The Nucleus (I have the Gen1 so cannot compare to Gen2) bolt is a bit more sloppy than the Origin, but bolt lift and close are quite smooth. If the Gen2 has similar feel to the Archimedes, bolt movement, forward/backward is really smooth too. My Gen1 Nukes aren't as smooth as my LA Archimedes.

The Impact 737R, has a very light bolt lift, which is very nice. Bolt manipulation is very smooth, but a different kind of feel, compared to the BigHorns (Origin, TL3). The Origin and TL3 feel like smooth ball bearings, the Impact feels like smooth over ice.

I do like the feedback that i can feel a round being chambered with the Origin and TL3. With the Impact, at times, it's too smooth and cannot tell if a round got pickedup and chambered or not.

My TL3 is very smooth, but has many more rounds through it than my Origin. I'm also able to run AW mags, needed tuning, but feeds great now!

I don't recommend the Mac Bros EVO SS, it does not accept shouldered Pre-Fits. Barrel nut will work, and i believe that's what they recommend. I prefer shouldered setup. Although it's a really good price ($575?)!

So first off - Great discussion and a lot of good info.

I want to step back just a bit and explain why these choices:

1. This is my first PRS build - I am currently shooting a Savage action from Cabelas in a MDT XRS chassis (Not the smoothest, the bolt binds up etc ... but it shoots 1/4 moa groups if I do my part. ) So this was my "budget" regret build
2. I do not need the best of the best. I want to build a decent rifle that I will be happy with. I have tried the origin and nucleus actions and think they are very nice. Nicer then my now sold Tikka (which I thought was really nice)
3. I have 6 kids and single income family. We do great but there are other priorities. For this reason I think the Origin or Nucleus or Tenacity are great "Custom" actions and I will be happy and proud to shoot any them
4. If I can save some money that will go towards good glass without compromising quality then yeah!
5. My son is getting interested to start shooting with me. So this build will most definitely go to him with a barrel swap and bolt face change for .223. After that I will build another rifle with better parts

So now what I would like:
1. A good quality custom action with great support from the manufacturer
2. Rem700 platform (Aftermarket parts .. Simple)
3. Aftermarket Trigger support
4. Pre-fit barrel compatible. Preferably Savage small shank as I have several barrels
5. Easy swap bolt face

In addition, I have the same preferences for the Chassis. Does not have to be the BEST. I am looking at MDT ESS and save myself some money there while still buying a quality product that I personally like

Now to the question of Impact action - They are about $800 CAD more then the origin, nucleus or tenacity. That is a lot more (almost double) then the others that will come in handy in other parts of the build. Do I need to have an Impact. My answer is no. The actions mentioned are all good quality and smooth enough for what I intend. And availability is an issue in Canada. Same with the Tenacity actually :(

All the savings in the end goes towards components. These things are hungry and needs to be fed regularly. It aint cheap. :)

The actions I listed are the ones I know and have tried. That is why I said I am open to any suggestions in that price range. I am in no rush but ... ;)

I recommend the Origin for a custom quality build at a very good price.

The Origin has all 5 features you mentioned.
The Nucleus (I have the Gen1 so cannot compare to Gen2) bolt is a bit more sloppy than the Origin, but bolt lift and close are quite smooth. If the Gen2 has similar feel to the Archimedes, bolt movement, forward/backward is really smooth too. My Gen1 Nukes aren't as smooth as my LA Archimedes.

The Impact 737R, has a very light bolt lift, which is very nice. Bolt manipulation is very smooth, but a different kind of feel, compared to the BigHorns (Origin, TL3). The Origin and TL3 feel like smooth ball bearings, the Impact feels like smooth over ice.

I do like the feedback that i can feel a round being chambered with the Origin and TL3. With the Impact, at times, it's too smooth and cannot tell if a round got pickedup and chambered or not.

My TL3 is very smooth, but has many more rounds through it than my Origin. I'm also able to run AW mags, needed tuning, but feeds great now!

I don't recommend the Mac Bros EVO SS, it does not accept shouldered Pre-Fits. Barrel nut will work, and i believe that's what they recommend. I prefer shouldered setup. Although it's a really good price ($575?)!
Yeah I think I'm sold on the origin. Now to pick a chassis! I am leaning towards mdt ess

Yeah I think I'm sold on the origin. Now to pick a chassis! I am leaning towards mdt ess
I don't have exp with MDT ESS, but i much prefer the ACC. What's the price diff between the two?

Last edited:
About 180 cad
Get the acc. Plain and simple.
The built in arca rail is worth a 100 buck add on rail alone. Plus everything else.
Unless you’re doing night vision with the ess enclosed foreend the acc is what you want.

6C09CFA6-30AD-4531-BB97-9CE2E04F7648.jpeg

B277C503-3F15-468E-856A-54DA8759DA0B.jpeg

I think the acc would be leaps and bounds better then the ess if you’re going to do PRS. But, I LOVE my MPA matrix. And Altus usually has them in stock and sometimes they throw in weight kits on certain deals. I got mine with an internal weight kit and custom color for like $1300ish? This is my Origin build

View attachment 7677111
I think the acc would be leaps and bounds better then the ess if you’re going to do PRS. But, I LOVE my MPA matrix. And Altus usually has them in stock and sometimes they throw in weight kits on certain deals. I got mine with an internal weight kit and custom color for like $1300ish? This is my Origin build
Maybe it was $1400….I don’t remember but I love it and all the different ways you can customize the grip/thumb rest to your liking

Why is the Kelbly Atlas Tac never mentioned in these conversations? I understand it doesn’t have the ability to swap bolt heads, but the tiny bit I’ve messed with an Atlas or an Origin I was more impressed with the Atlas.. I wish someone would light up the Prometheus thread, those Kelbly boys seem like they are straight up! To the OP: I would just get an Impact, it will be cheaper in the long run..

100% the atlas is fantastic! I have a bunch of actions they the kelbly atlas doesn’t drop anything to any of them

Reactions: Lionsbreath
Something 6.5 or bigger 😉

Lots of good ones from PVA Jet4, APA, etc. just get one that does not require a washer. A lot of self timing brakes out there now.

I was running a area 419 hellfire. Their new hellfire match is awesome, the apa little bastard is way good and the Ultradyne Apollo LR is super effective.

Ok so update on the build:

I found a new MDT ACC chassis from a forum member in Canada for a a good price and this is on the way
I got a great deal on a Ultimatum Deadline action that I could not pass on. Brand new and never used also on the same forum.
The trigger will be a Tiggertech Special
BBL on the way - JC Custom

So this is shaping up to be a Canadian rifle. Except for the optics. Tangent Theta is expensive!!!

Reactions: Dooby and buggz
Ok so update on the build:

I found a new MDT ACC chassis from a forum member in Canada for a a good price and this is on the way
I got a great deal on a Ultimatum Deadline action that I could not pass on. Brand new and never used also on the same forum.
The trigger will be a Tiggertech Special
BBL on the way - JC Custom

So this is shaping up to be a Canadian rifle. Except for the optics. Tangent Theta is expensive!!!

Sounds like it’s awesome. Is jc doing a prefit or is it a blank?

Where abouts are you located

I like integral rails and lugs. Lone Peak and Surgeon are both very nice for my use.