• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS cartridge

MoeAfrica

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2022
South Africa
Hi all
I'm very hard pressed as to what cartridge I should choose next
My 6.5 creedmoor shoots pretty well with 142 smks
I thought of the following options
Stay with the creed and shoot 150gr bullets
Move to 6.5 x 47L and shoot 140-150gr
Move to 6 BR or BRA with 105-108gr bullets
I tend to change my mind every little while
Currently leaning over to the creed if I stay with 150s but there's the " inherent accuracy of the 47L" and the cool factor I guess

Last edited:
As exciting as it seems to shake things up, I've found keeping things the same does help performance. For sure, if there are things that are hindering you, improve on that, but change for the sake of change tends to cost hits.

I've been shooting 6cm, and I'm about to start break-in on a new barrel. After this, I'm going 6.5cm. The recoil difference is insignificant with a 24lb rifle and a big functional brake anyways. The barrel life is almost double. That alone is worth any negatives the 6.5cm may present, (although I don't really see any). Better in the wind than the 6mm's, flatter at further ranges, components are the easiest to find, and a potential barrel life of 3,500 rds vs 1,500ish. And a barrel swap for us requires zero regulation, so if I had to ask the government for permission every time I had to swap barrels, I'd be loading that 6.5 pretty slow and trying to get that upper end of potential barrel life.

Actually, I'd probably shoot 223ai or .308 if I had to deal with that sort of govt regulation. Something with a 5k+ barrel life.

I've been shooting 6cm, and I'm about to start break-in on a new barrel. After this, I'm going 6.5cm. The recoil difference is insignificant with a 24lb rifle and a big functional brake anyways. The barrel life is almost double. That alone is worth any negatives the 6.5cm may present, (although I don't really see any). Better in the wind than the 6mm's, flatter at further ranges, components are the easiest to find, and a potential barrel life of 3,500 rds vs 1,500ish. And a barrel swap for us requires zero regulation, so if I had to ask the government for permission every time I had to swap barrels, I'd be loading that 6.5 pretty slow and trying to get that upper end of potential barrel life.

Actually, I'd probably shoot 223ai or .308 if I had to deal with that sort of govt regulation. Something with a 5k+ barrel life.
Yup it sucks big time
I'm shooting it at 2650 fps with a 142
I did consider a .308 but open class is the biggest here
I suspect that a 6 br would give better life than a 6.5 creed at 2750 - 2800 with 107s

Last edited:
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
things seem to be moving towards rounds with lower recoil like the small 6mm-s.

I'd look 6br, bra, dasher etc

M

Like I said in your slow Creedmoor post at Accurate Shooter, if you like the Creedmoor then keep it and get a better barrel and try some H4350. Going to a x47 will do nothing more than what you have. Spending money on the same performance is not "cool". You can also shoot 140 area bullets just fine for matches. You don't need to go over 150grns.

If you wanted to change to a 6mm be prepared to change the barrel more often. Can you order multiple barrels at a time or is it a one for one swap there?

Practice will help you get more of an advantage than changing what caliber you have.

Like I said in your slow Creedmoor post at Accurate Shooter, if you like the Creedmoor then keep it and get a better barrel and try some H4350. Going to a x47 will do nothing more than what you have. Spending money on the same performance is not "cool". You can also shoot 140 area bullets just fine for matches. You don't need to go over 150grns.

If you wanted to change to a 6mm be prepared to change the barrel more often. Can you order multiple barrels at a time or is it a one for one swap there?

Practice will help you get more of an advantage than changing what caliber you have.
I agree
I alway go through this process and end up deciding to stick with it
Well I'm in vet school so my budget is modest
If you buy multiple barrels you have to license each one , but you could submit the applications together
Barrels here go for 500-700 dollars excluding chambering etc

Reactions: Rob01
I'm with @Rob01 .....why change from 6.5 CM. Decent barrel life (important considering its difficult and expensive for you to get barrels where you are at) and no need to shoot 140 gr bullets unless I missed something.

140 gr would do very well...you ought to be able to get 1,100 meters without problem, no?

140 gr would do very well...you ought to be able to get 1,100 meters without problem, no?

I have shot factory 140 ELD ammo to a mile so the Creedmoor will reach out plenty far enough for match shooting.

Yeah @MoeAfrica at that price I would just stay with the Creedmoor and shoot it.

Something to try to keep that barrel shooting is some Tubb TMS rounds. You just load up a few and shoot them through a fully clean barrel and it will keep the throat smooth which is where most barrels show cracking which is what people consider “shot out”. I have used them through the years and they work.

Whi
I have shot factory 140 ELD ammo to a mile so the Creedmoor will reach out plenty far enough for match shooting.

Yeah @MoeAfrica at that price I would just stay with the Creedmoor and shoot it.

Something to try to keep that barrel shooting is some Tubb TMS rounds. You just load up a few and shoot them through a fully clean barrel and it will keep the throat smooth which is where most barrels show cracking which is what people consider “shot out”. I have used them through the years and they work.
I can only find the final finish here

Last edited:
Whi

I can only find the final finish here

The #3 in the Final Finish kit is the same bullet as the TMS and 4 and 5 are even finer grit. So if you can only get FF just get the kit and toss away the 1 and 2 bullets and use the other three. Do not use them as the final finish instructions will say though. Use them as the TMS instructions list. Make sure to give the barrel a very good cleaning before using them and clean it after using them. If your barrel is shooting good now at 1500 rounds I would shoot it until it’s at about 2000 rounds and then use the kit. I would use two number 3 bullets and then one number 4. Then do that after another 300-400 rounds after that and then every 300-400. Should get you well past 3000 rounds especially at the slower speeds.

Reactions: MoeAfrica
"IF" you decide to swap calibers, the 6mm is kinda a wash--everyone has their fav and ballistically, i don't think any of them are "better"--its the shooter at that point. With your situation, I'd focus on barrel life (which kind eliminated 6 Creed). But plenty of people do fine with 6.5. Added recoil is a problem, but its not a magnum, has good barrel life, and you get to make all the fun "ManBun" comments. You also don't have to redo ladder testing, finding loads, getting new dies, brass, bullets, etc...

Everyone gives me crap about shooting 6.5, but does it make a difference? Nope. I'm the limiting factor. Oh noes, I don't shoot Berger Bullets--they were impossible to find, so I bought Hornady. I shoot Hornady/Starline brass cause I will screw up good lapua brass. I won't claim its the best, but it gets me to the range and that's what is important. What gets you to the range?

Reactions: Crowlander
Shoot what you are used to shooting. Keep the 6.5creed. You should be able to get over 3k with it burning h4350 with lower charge weights.
6creed will rip through the barrel and you will be constantly chasing the lands with 107s.
If you go 6 then get something Br based and push 105s slow to get 3k on the barrel. Plus it will be set it and forget it…no messing with seating depth etc.

There is an advantage to those 140-156 class bullets. They really move plates and spotting shots is waaay easier.