• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS pack, Dragon Egg or Mystery Ranch Assault or Front?

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I know its been kicked around some but its been a while. These 3 packs look really good and seem to fit the bill. Been running GS 1 and GS 2 as my range bags and i think either of these 3 would be an upgrade.

Bought a Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault because I needed some space over my smaller bag, it's awesome.

Perfect size for this sport IMO. Enough room for everything you need without getting silly.

I don’t see them mentioned too often on here but Sabra Gear makes some awesome packs. They’re a smaller outfit out of Israel. I have their Solo 21 pack and I think it’s perfect for a PRS range pack. Not overly complicated with different compartments, just one big clamshell compartment and a couple zipper pockets. I’ve also used it as a day hunting pack and with the detachable waist belt it carries 100lbs worth of deer meat beautifully.

If you want to keep it simple and not carry a bunch extra stuff, the Front is the way to go, holds just the necessities at 19L. The 3-day is an awesome pack but overkill in my opinion unless your hauling tripods and extra bags and winter gear. Never had the Dragon egg, looks interesting

Upgraded from the Eberlestock HiSpeed 2 to the Mystery Fanch 3 day Assault and have been really pleased. If you don’t need all the space in the 3 day assault you can cinch it down pretty good. I carry a full size Gamechanger, small rear shooting bag, shooting mat, TAB gear simple pouch w/ cleaning supplies and accessories, TAB gear silent ammo carrier w/ 100 rounds of 6.5CM, 2 AW mags, ear pro, break down cleaning rod, sling, fix it sticks, leather man, x15 bino’s, kestrel, and data book. I still have a little room at the pack for more if I need to throw rain gear or an extra layer in. I havnt played with attaching my tripod just yet.

The thing I really like about the Mystery Ranch is all the compartments and webbed pouches, there are perfect for binos/kestrel/rangefinders/etc. Then the big part of the pack fits all your soft gear and ammo.

Reactions: Charger442
I run the Egg.. my RRS tripod attached to the outside, my Swaro 15x56 on the outside in a KUIU chest bag. The Game Changer is attached on both ends to the bottom. PLRF and Kestrel (although not used as much) are on the shoulder straps.

Basically, I do not have to open my bag over and over at every stage, pull shit out, then repack. It’s super fast and easy.

Reactions: M113A3
The Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack was suggested to me as about the right size although I did see the EGG and that looked interesting. Last weekends SOTY 2 Day Steel\LR match my current bag was too small and no easy way to attach a tripod.

Anyone have experience with the MR 2 day?

@ Driver any PIX of your set up with gear attached?

Thanks!

The Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack was suggested to me as about the right size although I did see the EGG and that looked interesting. Last weekends SOTY 2 Day Steel\LR match my current bag was too small and no easy way to attach a tripod.

Thanks!
I just got the 2 day about a month ago. I really like it. I'm able to get all of my stuff in it and have a bit of room left over. I pack my 15x binos, rear bag, WH Comanche, ammo binder, mags, and misc stuff. My tripod goes on the outside in the water bottle pouch and is held by the synching cross strap.

Thanks!
I can send one latter. There are a bunch of pictures in various threads however. I do also use a KUIU (my hunting pack) if the hikes are and harder than our hilly course

Nothing fancy but here’s my bag
A27A908E-CC9B-41C9-A72A-9340DB2F767D.jpeg
8FB9DFB0-A2FA-468F-A04E-229478647997.jpeg

It's comfortable, but I haven't really worn it for long amount of time.

I really like the Mystery Ranch Scree 32L which is basically the civilian version for the 3 day assault pack. Got a great deal on it so no brainer. Here's what it looks like loaded out for me

Last edited:

Thanks!

tlsmith22 The Pics of the KUIU Bino harnes you asked for are below.

Here you go M113A3

I had a thread on here somewhere with all the internal gear laid out. But I think you are asking how I do the external gear.

Obviously, I can run a bigger pack with all the gear inside, but it drives me insane at every stage to have to get to something on the bottom, then unpack and repack.

On the front shoulders is a Kestrel Kydex holder (very seldom do I actually use it though) and on the other my PLRF. Externally, I have 3 bags, but often I will drop one or two depending on the match type. In addition I have my tripod mounted with flush cups that I'll use almost as much as my Game Changer, but also drop it if it is a no-tripod stage or I think I don't need to use it to spot. These things click on and off quickly and it leaves all my other stuff secure. The system allows me to usually clear a stage or setup with less effort than the other guys that pack 100% of their stuff inside their bags. There is a water bottle in the picture and a QR C.A.T tourniquet with shears..

The image below has two packs for comparison. The KUIU on the right is a small 2300 bag I use for hunting and have used for field matches that have much longer longer hikes than our own home's range of 2-4 miles. I added it for comparison and it is worth noting that for a pack in hunt I would actually use my much larger 6000 bag; but for a hunt were I might only have to spend 1 night the 2300 is large enough.
packs-standing.png

^ Note that everything on the left could fit inside the bag on the right. The bow is only 30" axel-to-axel (for scale)

v The image below shows the bags laying down so you can see the attached gear better.
Laying-down.png

v Here are the two attachment on each side that keep the KUIU Bino bucket attached
attach.png

v The image below is what supports the weight and "locks" the very expensive binos in place. 2 quick snaps and they are off. The Bino neck attachment are still in-place, just tucked behind the binos.
close-up-bino.png

v Here is my second Bino setup. I'll use this for hunting, but also think it is a huge time saver if your shoot a field style find and engage match. Obviously, I could just unmout the one on the egg, but I like to keep my kits ready to go. The PLRF is in the small bag attached to the left side of the bino bucket.
KUIU.jpg

PS.. Stay in touch the UKD field mach we just had,seems to have been a hit! Shooters are already asking that we do another.. We sold out fast (maybe because it's cheap, small, low-key fun and a 1 day - LOL)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardpan
Thanks - the two bags seem comparable.
FYI I have way more gear inside than the images of the Mystery ranch.. Full rain gear, med kit, tools, cleaning rod & kit (has saved a lot of peoples matches), mags, timer, gammer plate, batteries, kydex mag holder, just a huge list sometimes including a pistol. I do not think I have one thing in there that has not be used many times except the quikclot (thank God, although I have seen some scary shit) and similar level of items.

FYI I have way more gear inside than the images of the Mystery ranch.. Full rain gear, med kit, tools, cleaning rod & kit (has saved a lot of peoples matches), mags, timer, gammer plate, batteries, kydex mag holder, just a huge list sometimes including a pistol. I do not think I have one thing in there that has not be used many times except the quikclot (thank God, although I have seen some scary shit) and similar level of items.

My trick is I made my teammate carry that stuff ;) jk jk we did pack light

but yes more of these field matches please.

I ran this setup for that exact match and liked it. I would pack the bag so things I needed were at the top so I just open the top and be able to grab the gear needed for a stage. But that bino case looks awesome

Reactions: Diver160651
@Diver160651 How is that tripod hooked to the pack? Can you take some pics of that?
@FishDr

I could not figure out how to link directly to the images. But in the thread I did explaining the differences in the heads for RRS and Feisol you can see the attachments on page 2

Note that you can use two leg ring mounts as well, If you do the pocket thing at the bottom you only need one top mount.

I ran this setup for that exact match and liked it.

Who was your teammate? Did you guys figure out Stage 4 (The trees) needed a terrain map or at least was beter if you guys took the time to make one because the targets were to be shot out of order?

Who was your teammate? Did you guys figure out Stage 4 (The trees) needed a terrain map or at least was beter if you guys took the time to make one because the targets were to be shot out of order?

I shoot with Jeff.
We didn't, we just found them and shot them.

Having had a dragon egg and now having a MR Front and Sweet Pea. I prefer the Mystery ranch packs. The Front is my favorite day pack. I use it for coyote hunting with my E call and rearbag in main compartment Hand calls and Rangefinder and Kestrel in the top lid compartment and my bog pod clipped on the outside.

My sweet pea I run it with ammo, rear bag and game changer a long sleeve shirt and some other little stuff inside. Water and tripod lashed on the outside and bottle compartment. I put my Kestrel and Rangefinder in the top lid as well. I’ve never run binoculars at a match but may add them at some point. I have room to spare in the pack.

The tri-zip system is easy to access so it’s not hard to access anything in the pack. The Mystery ranch system is more comfortable than the more traditional daypack like the dragon egg so if you have a lot of hiking I’d go Mystery ranch for sure. I don’t have my load outs put together at this point to take pics as we are about to head on vacation.

When it comes to packs I start with whatever it weighs and that kicks out a lot of bags out there. I love my mystery ranch scree, it's 32L and 3#. The similar sized M.R. assult packs weigh another 2# or so and they don't have that much more room or space in them. It's all relative and ideally I'd like to keep all my packs at or under 3#, because I carry a pack to carry stuff.

I don't take a pack out for the sake of carrying the weight of nylon and cordura. A pack a I have that I really like is the old style of a kelty redwing 50L that's 3#. It'll never get the love of the high dollar packs, but I've had great luck with Kelty packs.

This year I've immersed myself in looking into packs. Brownells had the Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 listed at 5 pounds and I bought one of those. When it arrived I weighed it and 7# plus and I sent it right back because all the weight was in the scabbard and didn't have much for regular packing space for a tent & sleeping bag or other misc gear. As a civilian I look at how the outside side pouches are setup for bottles too and those were more than a little disappointing. I was hoping a mystery ranch selway 60 would be the ticket for me, but maybe it's just the way my rifle is setup but the top straps bind too much on the scope when I've got the rifle packed in there. At this point I've pretty much given up on using the pack to carry my rifle and I'll just sling it old school.

For a handy and little day pack you guys may like "The Hidden Woodsmen" day ruck or day ruck scout. They are old school simple packs. and not really setup for a long comfortable backpacking trip but for a day hike will hold enough gear to keep you happy. That'll be the pack I use in some 2020 guardian matches.

Your taking matches or hunting? They are completely different.

The Kelty Redwing is listed as over 4lbs or the t version and at almost 4 for the non, not 3lbs. BTW, the Dragon Egg is about $80 on Ebay and only 20-25L

50L and up packs are big and usually mean to carry more weight. 50L packs with no frame like the Kelty, might be ok for the casual sleep over, but are not in the class of the high $ pack for comfort and stability under load while still weighing almost nothing.

Why the love for high $$ packs that you don’t get?

Here are a couple of load outs-on three different days. High dollar frame packs like Kifaru, KUIU's carbon frame (load shelf) and Mystery Ranch (with their load shelf), are completely different that your $60 50L Kelty and designed to carry more out than we brought in with relative comfort.

2 Elk Qtrs- 1500’ of descending out of the snow.. easily over 120lbs (BTW I've carried CA sized pigs all the meat, in one trip with my KUIU)
40D7579E-A618-47E7-99A7-3463A7302780.jpeg

1 quarter- last trip on this one
E7C63FEA-32B1-4924-93F9-B1E25D59FDAC.jpeg

Resting almost back last day- packing 1 quarter, backstaps all the extras - dragging 1 qtr in the snow. My brother-in-law holding my pack wishing he had my high $ pack.. his shoulders were trashed on his.
201F6865-A7E2-4497-A3A4-F9C485C20CBD.jpeg

I agree with you on the Elber. Nobody I know is a fan of the Elbers once they either hunt and need to pack an animal and then are exposed with someone in comfort carrying the same load super stable and on their hips with another better pack

Your match pack might come on and of 8-14 times a day, truth be told, most PRS matches halve almost no real walking. The ones that do, it is minimal. Many of the style matches people don’t need to bring tools, cleaning rods, first aid etc; there cars are in walking distance to the stage.
3AB6A307-46F1-4A0D-89A6-F43D656D54BA.jpeg

^ Typical PRS style match. At this match and matches like this, I just grab the pack by the carry handle, never even put it on from the car or between stages. This is were the tiny packs and the external gear is especially nice.. Although, the tool kit, rain gear etc can just be pulled out and left in the car.

Even many for field matches like ours, isn’t really that rough, that I need a big comfortable hip pack. I need ease-of-use and speed so that I have more time to glass or otherwise get my head together.
C57A42DD-8D44-473D-956B-30EFA6583C01.jpeg

^ typical field Style- but really we walk maybe only 2 miles round trip stopping and shooting, waiting 8 or 9 times. Picture is of a shooter who's team took 3rd at the UKD Team Challenge at Avenal last month.. Good shooting by all

All of these matches are fine with 20-25L and the external system..

For pure packing and pack fly fishing I run a expensive Zpack Arca Zip. These are the other end of the high $ spectrum all about weight. They are the super light packs 60l that way in around 23oz.
Typical backpacking packs, like the super popular Osprey 60L are comfortable, relatively light, but mine comes in at just about 4.5LBS.. (about the same as my hunting pack that has the carbon frame)

Packs from Zpacks snd Hyperlite allow you to move fast over long periods. These have changed the way we backpack light is fast. Although not as robust or able to carry as much weight as a light hi tech hunting pack, they are rain proof and comfortable backpacking with a non-animal load-out. At least 1 team a this year Mammoth Sniper is going to be running the Hyperlites.

The point I’m trying to make, is the best packs are very specific. Until this point, we were talking about a typical PRS/NRL match pack were you running multiple stages and have lots of gear that you need access to over and over and the pack spends most of its time sitting in the staging areas or in the car on the way to the match.

Just my 2 cents - hopes this helps put it into prospective and why some of us spend $$ on the best gear for the task.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kane0519
When I said "It'll never get the love of the high dollar packs, but I've had great luck with Kelty packs. " I was not saying that I don't get why more expensive packs exist or judging anyone for paying more for one. As far as paying for gear goes, in my opinion I have no budget restraints on packs or quality boots. My body type is the size where I can walk into most stores and the biggest clothes are too small, and when I walk into the fat guy stores I get looked at like an ant and wonder why I'm in there. All I was getting at was that for whatever reason Keltys are what seem to fit me the best.

For me 2019 has all been spent preparing for the 2020 mammoth. I've bought and returned an eberlsestock gunslinger when I saw how much gear it's carry and how heavy it was, sold a gunrunner I'd had for a couple years but the scabbard couldn't fit my competition rifle or hold enough gear, bought and sold an osprey aether 70L, and bought a mystery ranch selway 60L that I may end up selling but haven't made up my mind yet. I'm not saying any of that to brag and honestly I feel a little dumb confessing all that. All those packs I've played with trying to mess with loading them out and see how they'd work after several miles with a full loadout under time with the exception or the eberlestock gunslinger II.

In July I shot my first PRS match which was a guardian in Michigan and I get what you're saying. I carried all my gear for the day in a Propper bail out bag. That match for me was to get spun up on the match games for the mammoth.

I've got no issue with spending hard earned money on quality gear and I think it should be commended. For me, I just got lucky that the cheaper stuff fits me better. My redwing is the older style that only weighs just over 3 pounds. I saw they remade that pack and as much as I like the improved side water bottle pouches I don't get where else they added all that extra weight. The current lineup of kelty redwings would not appeal to me at all based on the weight alone.

Last edited:
i have been using my badlands pack, but i kinda like the idea of the tri-zip on my mystery ranch scree. only thing is i think itll be tough to get an OG gamechanger (may have to just use the mini) and bullet binder, field book, tools, etc all in there. But i definitely like the 3 zip opening to get to stuff at the bottom.

I need to sell a never used maxpedition falcon II to make room for a new pack, after i added a Kifaru UZ and a slightly used tactical zippy.

When I said "It'll never get the love of the high dollar packs, but I've had great luck with Kelty packs. " I was not saying that I don't get why more expensive packs exist or judging anyone for paying more for one. As far as paying for gear goes, in my opinion I have no budget restraints on packs or quality boots. My body type is the size where I can walk into most stores and the biggest clothes are too small, and when I walk into the fat guy stores I get looked at like an ant and wonder why I'm in there. All I was getting at was that for whatever reason Keltys are what seem to fit me the best.

For me 2019 has all been spent preparing for the 2020 mammoth. I've bought and returned an eberlsestock gunslinger when I saw how much gear it's carry and how heavy it was, sold a gunrunner I'd had for a couple years but the scabbard couldn't fit my competition rifle or hold enough gear, bought and sold an osprey aether 70L, and bought a mystery ranch selway 60L that I may end up selling but haven't made up my mind yet. I'm not saying any of that to brag and honestly I feel a little dumb confessing all that. All those packs I've played with trying to mess with loading them out and see how they'd work after several miles with a full loadout under time with the exception or the eberlestock gunslinger II.

In July I shot my first PRS match which was a guardian in Michigan and I get what you're saying. I carried all my gear for the day in a Propper bail out bag. That match for me was to get spun up on the match games for the mammoth.

I've got no issue with spending hard earned money on quality gear and I think it should be commended. For me, I just got lucky that the cheaper stuff fits me better. My redwing is the older style that only weighs just over 3 pounds. I saw they remade that pack and as much as I like the improved side water bottle pouches I don't get where else they added all that extra weight. The current lineup of kelty redwings would not appeal to me at all based on the weight alone.

If you have a solid waist belt with great hip support, look at the Kifaru Gun Bearer.

For hunting it is great because you can click the gun off as fast as any sling that tends to slip off your shoulders. You can easily shoot before removing your pack as well and it is quite. An added bonus is that on a long precision rifle the barrel isn't so high you get stuck under every tree branch.

But for field matches, especially long ones like your talking, it is great as well. You do not have to deal a sling slipping or with a scubbard or strapping the gun to your pack and lifting the entire pack weight and gun on and off over and over, flagging people in the process..

KUIU and others make one as well but the KUIU really sucks.. The Kiraru weighs a bit more at 4oz, but way less than a quality sling..

Just something to consider, it has become one of my favorite add ons

Reactions: Kane0519
Your taking matches or hunting? They are completely different.

The Kelty Redwing is listed as over 4lbs or the t version and at almost 4 for the non, not 3lbs. BTW, the Dragon Egg is about $80 on Ebay and only 20-25L

50L and up packs are big and usually mean to carry more weight. 50L packs with no frame like the Kelty, might be ok for the casual sleep over, but are not in the class of the high $ pack for comfort and stability under load while still weighing almost nothing.

Why the love for high $$ packs that you don’t get?

Here are a couple of load outs-on three different days. High dollar frame packs like Kifaru, KUIU's carbon frame (load shelf) and Mystery Ranch (with their load shelf), are completely different that your $60 50L Kelty and designed to carry more out than we brought in with relative comfort.

2 Elk Qtrs- 1500’ of descending out of the snow.. easily over 120lbs (BTW I've carried CA sized pigs all the meat, in one trip with my KUIU)
View attachment 7201383

1 quarter- last trip on this one
View attachment 7201384

Resting almost back last day- packing 1 quarter, backstaps all the extras - dragging 1 qtr in the snow. My brother-in-law holding my pack wishing he had my high $ pack.. his shoulders were trashed on his.
View attachment 7201385

I agree with you on the Elber. Nobody I know is a fan of the Elbers once they either hunt and need to pack an animal and then are exposed with someone in comfort carrying the same load super stable and on their hips with another better pack

Your match pack might come on and of 8-14 times a day, truth be told, most PRS matches halve almost no real walking. The ones that do, it is minimal. Many of the style matches people don’t need to bring tools, cleaning rods, first aid etc; there cars are in walking distance to the stage.
View attachment 7201432
^ Typical PRS style match. At this match and matches like this, I just grab the pack by the carry handle, never even put it on from the car or between stages. This is were the tiny packs and the external gear is especially nice.. Although, the tool kit, rain gear etc can just be pulled out and left in the car.

Even many for field matches like ours, isn’t really that rough, that I need a big comfortable hip pack. I need ease-of-use and speed so that I have more time to glass or otherwise get my head together.
View attachment 7201431
^ typical field Style- but really we walk maybe only 2 miles round trip stopping and shooting, waiting 8 or 9 times. Picture is of a shooter who's team took 3rd at the UKD Team Challenge at Avenal last month.. Good shooting by all

All of these matches are fine with 20-25L and the external system..

For pure packing and pack fly fishing I run a expensive Zpack Arca Zip. These are the other end of the high $ spectrum all about weight. They are the super light packs 60l that way in around 23oz.
Typical backpacking packs, like the super popular Osprey 60L are comfortable, relatively light, but mine comes in at just about 4.5LBS.. (about the same as my hunting pack that has the carbon frame)

Packs from Zpacks snd Hyperlite allow you to move fast over long periods. These have changed the way we backpack light is fast. Although not as robust or able to carry as much weight as a light hi tech hunting pack, they are rain proof and comfortable backpacking with a non-animal load-out. At least 1 team a this year Mammoth Sniper is going to be running the Hyperlites.

The point I’m trying to make, is the best packs are very specific. Until this point, we were talking about a typical PRS/NRL match pack were you running multiple stages and have lots of gear that you need access to over and over and the pack spends most of its time sitting in the staging areas or in the car on the way to the match.

Just my 2 cents - hopes this helps put it into prospective and why some of us spend $$ on the best gear for the task.

This is a great post! Laying out the different needs for different applications of a pack.

I’m looking for a new pack myself (just don’t like the layout of the Eberlestock Gunslinger gen1). I’d like to be able to use it for field matches as well as PRS style matches. I was looking at the Dragon Egg because I love the level of organization it has (ie. pockets) but:
1) I’m starting to think it’s to small, &
2) it isn’t conducive to the gunbearer (which is how I’d like to replace the Eberlestock scabbard).

Any thoughts on that?

This is a great post! Laying out the different needs for different applications of a pack.

I’m looking for a new pack myself (just don’t like the layout of the Eberlestock Gunslinger gen1). I’d like to be able to use it for field matches as well as PRS style matches. I was looking at the Dragon Egg because I love the level of organization it has (ie. pockets) but:
1) I’m starting to think it’s to small, &
2) it isn’t conducive to the gunbearer (which is how I’d like to replace the Eberlestock scabbard).

Any thoughts on that?
Ya, I’d say it is the ideal “PRS” bag; but a bit on the smaller side for a long field match.

I never really tried the gun Kifaru mount on the Egg, or the maybe half dozen or so other small packs I’ve used for the matches. It is your typical day-pack style with a belt but not really the robust micro-adjustable and padded hip belt on the load haulers.

I carry more stuff than typical experienced match shooter, but way less than some of the new guys.

What I Consciously am caring that are probably more than most, is FAK with CAT, Quick Clot, Tools, batteries, cleaning rod (used many many times during a match to save someone’s day) full KUIU rain gear, large gammer plate for optics, pens, light, extra mags, a stage timer and if I am at my range’s matches a ham radio (each squad carries one).

I still have room for my ammo carrier 100+ and even a pistol. Plus on the outside as mentioned, I carry the stuff I use constantly like: RRS tripod, GC, Large pump pillow, Kestrel, PLRF, radio(match dependent, (ammo dump, mag holder- larger get added to my pant belt) and water.

Packing small forces one to be organized and Methodical.

Anyway- I’ll try the Kifaru thing today or tomorrow and let you know if it works on the egg. I can get motivated and empty my pac and show you just how much is in there..

Sabra gear has a great pack. Very well made and reasonably priced.

Has anyone tried strapping a folding stock/chassis bolt gun in one of the mystery ranch side pockets? I'm trying to figure out if you could fit both a rifle on one side and tripod on the other. I'm looking at the 2 and 3 day assault packs.

Has anyone tried strapping a folding stock/chassis bolt gun in one of the mystery ranch side pockets? I'm trying to figure out if you could fit both a rifle on one side and tripod on the other. I'm looking at the 2 and 3 day assault packs.

I'd love to find out but I can't hardly find a 3 day assault anywhere. Except from MR directly and it's $375. Almost $200 more than the 2 day.

Folded stock will not fit in the pockets, not a gun bearer either —- but a good idea in the making.. I know a grade shoe cobbler.

Edited: I have just strapped mine with good success.. FYI folded my scope is kinda in the way of the pocket

Last edited:
I have tried out one of the Kifaru gun bearers and I love it. When I first started packing and preparing a loadout for mammoth I was really hoping to use that in conjunction with a Mystery Ranch Scree, but the 32L pack was just a bit too small for what I'm going to need for three days. I've been playing with that Gun Bearer still on different packs and I think it's a solid piece of kit. I don't think I'd ever like it being to one side or the other, but centered up would be just fine.

That was my next question:
Why don’t we see the gun bearer used at the Mammoth? (Not that I’ve been there, but I’ve seen lots of photos).

That was my next question:
Why don’t we see the gun bearer used at the Mammoth? (Not that I’ve been there, but I’ve seen lots of photos).
You do not see them used much at all.

By that same logic, why hasn't tripods been used much before the very recent RRS craze in matches? Why do hunter look at me like I am insane when I break out my tripod, then the very same ones often end up buying one for Western hunting? Why have US, 4 legged hunters been so slow to adopt mil based FFP scopes that were developed to hunt dangerous game? Why did everyone seem to think you "needed" a scabbard just a few years ago? People tend to do what they have been doing and not being exposed to certain options/solutions doesn't help.

That aside, not every setup is obviously going to work for everyone. If you are caring a 40lb load-out and adding 20lbs PR rifles and have no issues rolling the pack on and off with gun strapped that's great it will be stable. Sense the thread was about PRS I think you saw various feedback.

Anyway, I tried the GB on my PRS pack and it is not worth the effort. While it can work, it needs a better and more solid hip-belt to work as intended

Makes sense. I agree for PRS matches it’s not necessary, but for field matches with walking I can see it being a great solution. Just wondered why it wasn’t more popular. I’ll be ordering one as soon as I have a new pack sorted out. Thanks for the input!

I can't say I've been to a lot of PRS matches. I've only been to one, but something that shocked me was that a lot of guys didn't have a sling on their rifle or think to bring one. There were several stages where a sling made all the difference for me and I was very happy to have had one. Moving from stage to stage, a sling can also be used as a ......... sling.

I can't say I've been to a lot of PRS matches. I've only been to one, but something that shocked me was that a lot of guys didn't have a sling on their rifle or think to bring one. There were several stages where a sling made all the difference for me and I was very happy to have had one. Moving from stage to stage, a sling can also be used as a ......... sling.

There are two basic set-ups for PRS "style" matches. Many repurpose a square range or otherwise set up similarly and the others, especially in the West have much more room to create the stages and generally can have more distance between them. Field matches are another animal.

Avenal PRS R Qualifier - Hill course:
Below I am at a stage and if you look up at the crest of the hill behind my ass, you'll see a couple of dots. These "dots" are in the 2nd stage and image below.
Unknown-1.png

The "dots" from the image below, are below :)
Unknown-25.jpeg

Image above from a Match in Nevada. You can see no reason to sling your rifle or pack to move between stages. This match is held in the "PRS" style on CalNev's silhouette range. A lot of PRS matches run something similar. 3 stages in the same picture.
Unknown-30.jpeg

At our club in Central California, we run both formats. In the hotest summer heat we move the silhouette range. The distance between stages is much like many matches back East with a narrow lane of fire and almost no distance between stages. In these style of matches, we do not usually don our packs or use slings to move the rifles.

On 25lbs PRS rifles, sitting on a Game Changer or with rear tripod support, slings for most part don't add value. That said my gun has a sling.

Speaking of PRS here are are non-published tentative dates for 2020

2020 Dates Avenal Gun Club: All will use the hiking mountain course, except 7/19
1/26 PRS club
2/23 PRS club
3/21-22 PRS Sharp Shooter Showdown
4/26 PRS club
5/31 PRS Regional Qualifier
6/28 PRS club
7/19 PRS silhouette range due to expected summer heat
No August
9/20 PRS Regional Qualifier
10/25 PRS club
11/22 UKD Team Challenge Field Match Get on the list this one filled up fast!!!!

(NRL22 match dates to be added) - Tentatively 5/30, 9/19, 11/21 more to follow

Image from last month's UKD team challenge.
Unknown-29.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardpan
@Diver160651 I'd like to try a field type match, but I don't have a shooting partner. Have you thought about doing one for individuals if that's even possible?

@Diver160651 I'd like to try a field type match, but I don't have a shooting partner. Have you thought about doing one for individuals if that's even possible?

Just to be clear our "field" match and our PRS Hill course cover the same area. The difference is the Field match it is on natural terrain and a completely different target format. Both require a hike :) some people hate to hike. But hey, gotta justify or packs :)

Ideally, for the team match, you'd sign up and we'd put you in touch with a partner. Of course, it can a bit a bit of a disadvantage because you might not have have time to shoot together. On the other hand, our 3rd place team never shot together. That said it is possible if we have space to shoot as a solo; but we will not know until the end on sign-ups.

We decided to put this together because I remember how hard it was for me to get accurate information on the gear needed, and develop a the strategy for my first team match. For our team match we send out tips, and I'll answer questions on the phone. The entire idea is to make it a fun, more of a training type event, so if one chooses to do a much more expensive 2 day, they have some experience under their belt.

RO'n is a great way to learn without any pressure -- we always NEED ROs.. BTW we don't let anyone pressure an RO, we have radios, you think you got a hit the RO didn't see it, that's life.. ROs have a tough job, last thing they need is crap from a shooter so we make it clear from the start our position..

Last edited:
Reactions: kriller134
Diver,
Those are awesome pictures. I'm hoping that in 2020 I can attend a lot more rifle matches like that but I'm in northeast indiana so I doubt I'll be able to make it that far out west.

Ya, I’d say it is the ideal “PRS” bag; but a bit on the smaller side for a long field match.
Sorry for digging up an old thread, I've been looking for the "ideal" PRS/field shooting bag for a while know and have stumbled across many of your posts and pictures of the DA Dragon Egg and it does look to be the near perfect bag.

I see DA now do an enlarged version of the Dragon Egg taking it from 25L to 30L, and adds a proper hip belt (like on the Ghost).
Do you think the extra 5L of space and proper hip belt would be worth it for longer field matches?
It looks like you fit all your gear easily into the 25L pack, my experiece also mirrors this (25L being more that big enough).

Do you think a proper hip belt would be a worth addition to the Dragon Egg pack, or do you not find yourself hauling a heavy load too often?

Sorry for digging up an old thread, I've been looking for the "ideal" PRS/field shooting bag for a while know and have stumbled across many of your posts and pictures of the DA Dragon Egg and it does look to be the near perfect bag.

I see DA now do an enlarged version of the Dragon Egg taking it from 25L to 30L, and adds a proper hip belt (like on the Ghost).
Do you think the extra 5L of space and proper hip belt would be worth it for longer field matches?
It looks like you fit all your gear easily into the 25L pack, my experiece also mirrors this (25L being more that big enough).

Do you think a proper hip belt would be a worth addition to the Dragon Egg pack, or do you not find yourself hauling a heavy load too often?
First I have to admit I am not against having multiple bags. I use the egg for PRS style and matches like ours where it's spread out up and down draws but the entire day <2 miles. It holds enough ammo and snacks. For two days, we just have to remember that we rifle ammo, etc for day two. Even in a lot of field style matches the distance for the day is not often that much. That said, there are some.

By the time I personally go to a hip belt, I want it to be on a light for capacity bag and probably am asking the hip belt to help carry the weight of the rifle on and tripod. So not sure I'd but the egg in a larger version.

Reactions: beetroot