• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prs rifles beginner/budget and if the remington 700 is worth getting off the shelf in 2024?

Damn, that sounds horrible! I know I’d be pissed if that happened to me.

Ive seen that 223 rifles have had issues such as extraction or bullets being stuck but never a bolt droop like that

I've had three Howa 1500s in the last 20 years. None had the issues he's talking about.

Even though it is a very well made rifle, it's still a mass produced item and sometimes a turd gets out. Howa, IMO, makes far fewer turds that most everyone else.

Reactions: canman
Would you explain what this has to do with the original poster’s question? He asked about off the shelf current production 700s and whether they are worth getting as a beginners rifle for PRS.

Please try to stay on topic or start a thread of your own in the gunsmithing section to illustrate how one goes about being a gun machinist.
Because he later asked in an opening statement, "what is your process for truing Rem 700 actions?"...so I tried to give a brief explanation, and a photo, plus information on videos to show what was involved.

I did not ignore his question, and the results are the post.
Some like all the true information than can get on a subject, so they can make in informed decision.

Your attitude detracts.

So now, you may,... Wipe the egg off your face.

Would you explain what this has to do with the original poster’s question? He asked about off the shelf current production 700s and whether they are worth getting as a beginners rifle for PRS.

Please try to stay on topic or start a thread of your own in the gunsmithing section to illustrate how one goes about being a gun machinist.
beat me to it

Mechanically they are exactly the same. Neither one is better than the other.

Stay in your gunstore lane.
I'll stay in whatever lane I want...I don't need your permission. You don't have to like my opinion, but it's still just as valid as anyone else's...Which is only as valuable as someone else wants it to be.

Get the Howa 1500 if you are anti-social. Everyone ignores me and my Howa. They all gather up around the impacts, defiances and ARC actions making their penis' touch. I'll get there one day.

I cant say its surprisingly accurate and precise, its guaranteed.... Sub MOA with Factory Match and close to half MOA with my handloads.

Last edited:
Don’t buy anything. Take a class that offers loaner rifles. Get your feet wet and see what you need and what you don’t need. Also, see if this is really something you really like. Learn about ballistic apps, bags, scopes, bipods, position shooting, rifle balance, and just plain how to shoot and actually hit targets at VLR (very long range).

This will save a lot and lot of money in the long run. This sport is an expensive endeavour. Knowing what you need before hand saves thousands that could have been spent on a rifle(s) and other equipment that you need and can use.

Robert Brantley @RobertB and the site owner Frank Galli @Lowlight both are here and offer such training. There are others as well

• Love
Reactions: RobertB
Within .005 or ± .005?
They finish machining after heat treat. The tolerances are supposed to be like within .0003" from lug abutments to receiver face, and with .0002" from boltface to receiver face.
So according to the video much tighter tolerances than within 0.005 or +/- 0.005". More like within a total of 0.0005" or less. Theoretically that would make the tolerances so tight that you could take a factory barrel from the new Remarms factory and screw it on a new Remarms 700 action and just check for headspace. Much like a Tikka.

If the tolerances are that tight I would suspect that the receiver face is pretty true from the factory so no blueprinting would be required. The OP would want to leave the threads alone in any action if he wanted to install a prefit or short chambered barrel.

I've also considered a Howa since the ones I've seen shoot well and seem to be well made. I've read reports from a well established GS that the actions are pretty much blue printed from the factory. The only issue is prefit barrels cost more because they have metric threads.

I'm surprised that in So cal 6.5 CM match ammo is hard to find. It's been twenty years since I lived there but I'd expect Turner's or one of the other stores to carry it. 1000 yard ranges aren't plentiful either. I only know of two in the LA area and one in San Diego. So a fast twist .223 would work, it's one I've been lusting after. 6mm CM, fast twist 243 win (remarms ), 6.5 CM or 308 should work. Good luck.

My buddy's 300 WM bankruptcy era Rem 700 Long Range with our handloads. Considered the worst QC Remingtons.
1712841319430.jpeg

For a beginner I'd be concerned about getting decent glass than the rifle. More than likely you'll change or modify the rifle as you go along. The glass is more critical and you're either happy with what you get or look for an upgrade latter on.

Reactions: Millron
So according to the video much tighter tolerances than within 0.005 or +/- 0.005". More like within a total of 0.0005" or less. Theoretically that would make the tolerances so tight that you could take a factory barrel from the new Remarms factory and screw it on a new Remarms 700 action and just check for headspace. Much like a Tikka.

If the tolerances are that tight I would suspect that the receiver face is pretty true from the factory so no blueprinting would be required. The OP would want to leave the threads alone in any action if he wanted to install a prefit or short chambered barrel.

If what he says is true that's pretty legit. Although it's not a "miracle of modern machining".........

Reactions: 45-90
I worked running swiss machines. Compared to manual lathes and the degree of consistency I'm not going to worry about semantics.

Funny, quality CNC will hold .0002" that's 2 ten thousandths of an inch...not even needed for most rifle building tolerences, except a few.
In a good processes, and excellent quality control, running similar CNC machinery, there would be no difference between the tolerences of the most expensive action and a Remington 700....that is a fact. But they would be of similar price.

A large company can afford the best 1 million dollar machines, robot loading, computerized inspection, buying steel in train load quantities, everything computerized...

Where a smaller company can not afford these super production lines, or buy in gigantic quantities.
So modern day Remington 700 "could be" made to the same or better precision of any rifle out there.
Cutting steels after heat treat, has been going on for a very long time...it's cut fast with excellent finishes, with heavy CNC machines, or EDM, so that part of the video is kind of a joke.

But to cost cutting corners from the orders of executives, require things are speeded up, making rougher finishes, and sometimes inferior quality things like stocks, to drop the price.

Reactions: lash
CNC after heat treat costs more because it's harder to do. The tooling costs more so that's passed on in the cost. In any case the new Remarms rifles cost more than the previous Remington 700's. I see them cut costs by making the jeweling on the bolts less refined. And their tupperware stocks aren't good. But I don't care because they cost less than Tikkas and I'll just change out the stock. It's a wash because I'd probably change the stock on a Tikka also. I see the Remarms as potentially being a better rifle than before. And all the barrels have 5R rifling, even the ADL's.

Reactions: lash
I looked online and Turner's Outdoorsman in So Cal carried match ammo for .223 rem, 6mm CM, 6.5 CM and 308 Win. Some of the .223 cost less but the others were pretty much the same per box. If I were the OP I'd go check out a local PRS match and see what most of the shooters used. That will give him a better idea of what to get.

CNC after heat treat costs more because it's harder to do. The tooling costs more so that's passed on in the cost. In any case the new Remarms rifles cost more than the previous Remington 700's. I see them cut costs by making the jeweling on the bolts less refined. And their tupperware stocks aren't good. But I don't care because they cost less than Tikkas and I'll just change out the stock. It's a wash because I'd probably change the stock on a Tikka also. I see the Remarms as potentially being a better rifle than before. And all the barrels have 5R rifling, even the ADL's.
Don't forget they all come with Timney triggers now, too...

Reactions: xsn10s and lash
Don't forget they all come with Timney triggers now, too...
My Timney Impact broke clean but at 3lbs 12 oz. So I installed a cheap Walker trigger. I adjusted it down to 2 1/4 lbs. I might play with it some more after a few range sessions.

Brownells has a sale on their Howa barreled actions this week. 15% off, free shipping and no ffl fee.
Howa barreled action (6.5 CM), 550, MDT ORYX chassis 430, Timney Trigger 174…..$1154.00. All’s that needs to be added is a picatinny rail, ($58) scope and rings of your choice and a magazine (MDT composite $50 and a tripod. (Harris BRMP $145. So, not counting scope and rings, total is $1407 ready to shoot (not counting shipping or the bane of life, taxes)

Can you get better? Sure, but for your very own, hard to beat the price.

Reactions: xsn10s
Howa barreled action (6.5 CM), 550, MDT ORYX chassis 430, Timney Trigger 174…..$1154.00. All’s that needs to be added is a picatinny rail, ($58) scope and rings of your choice and a magazine (MDT composite $50 and a tripod. (Harris BRMP $145. So, not counting scope and rings, total is $1407 ready to shoot (not counting shipping or the bane of life, taxes)

Pretty much the same price if he chose a Remarms 700. I chose a Remington but a Howa would be great also. I prefer the Howa bolt angle and the M16 style extractor. But rebarreling is potentially cheaper on the Remington. I went to Remington's armorer school so that's why I went with Remington on my 7mm Rem Mag. And the 700 had 1-8" twist. In the OP's cartridges the Howa is a viable choice.

you could ditch the Timney and and get Gun Bloke spring set from the aussie, drop the total cost more.

If he bought the brownells deal today its $385.

For about a week or so I've been deciding on a bolt rifle build. I was between a Howa Hera 7 in 6.5 CM and a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 6.5 CM. The only real bolt gun I have is a pre '64 Model 70 in 6.5 CM but it's set up with irons for mid to long range. The Howa would have been about $900.00 and the Remington is $ 825.00 but it's going to need a stock. I want a DBM. MDT Field Stock is $339.00 with a 10 round mag. I probably won't do a PRS match but if I did I think the Remington would be a better call. I had an SPS Tactical years ago in .308. I put a B&C stock on it to get rid of the Hogue. Our son has it now and has gotten a bunch of deer with it. These new ones with the 5R rifling should be better, at least as good.

For about a week or so I've been deciding on a bolt rifle build. I was between a Howa Hera 7 in 6.5 CM and a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 6.5 CM. The only real bolt gun I have is a pre '64 Model 70 in 6.5 CM but it's set up with irons for mid to long range. The Howa would have been about $900.00 and the Remington is $ 825.00 but it's going to need a stock. I want a DBM. MDT Field Stock is $339.00 with a 10 round mag. I probably won't do a PRS match but if I did I think the Remington would be a better call. I had an SPS Tactical years ago in .308. I put a B&C stock on it to get rid of the Hogue. Our son has it now and has gotten a bunch of deer with it. These new ones with the 5R rifling should be better, at least as good.
Just get a solus barreled action from pva then get the field stock and be done with you won’t have to upgrade later and it’s going to be a hell of a rifle for the money

Reactions: FuhQ
I'm on my 3rd factory Remington 700 with the newer twists and they all shot fantastic. My first 223 almost shot one hole groups with 75 ELDs and Varget. The 2nd one didn't like my hand loads as well as the first but shot factory match ammo under .5" groups. The triggers are pretty good too, although just a smidge heavy for me. But with all the aftermarket 700 stuff, you can't go wrong with that barreled action. Look for a good deal and sell off the factory bottom metal, and you'll have the best of the budget options out there.

Attachments

• 20240324_162812.jpg
    20240324_162812.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: canman and xsn10s