• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Tactical division: what bullet components do pros use for the 308?

Joe.grey

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2018
I am searching for information on what the pros use as bullet components for the tactical division, more specifically for the 308. If anyone has some info on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have no problem finding tons of info on the 6mm and 6.5mm but none on the 308. Thx in advance.

178 gr and 2,800 fps cap for 308

I would have suggested a 150 class bullet but it appears that I would have been incorrect in that recommendation due to the speed limitation. Within the limits of that a heavier bullet with a higher bc would be better. You can push it as hard as you want and not go over the cap.

Maybe a berger hybrid 168 would be a good bet. You can push the speed a bit and stay below the threshold and it has a .515 bc
A hornady eld 178 has a .547 but youll be a bit slower and so more drop in the closer ranges.
A sierra tipped 168 looks alright with a .535 provided you can get it to shoot well at mag length, they are a bit long.

178 gr and 2,800 fps cap for 308. Maybe a berger hybrid 168 would be a good bet. You can push the speed a bit and stay below the threshold and it has a .515 bc. A hornady eld 178 has a .547 but youll be a bit slower and so more drop in the closer ranges. A sierra tipped 168 looks alright with a .535 provided you can get it to shoot well at mag length, they are a bit long.

I ran some numbers through my Applied Ballistics app with 168s, 175s and 178s: at linger ranges, the 175-178 have better wind bucking capabilities than the 168, but the 168 has less drop. I used recommended powder charges and printed velocities for my comparisons although I am well aware of the fact that higher velocities can be reached with all recipies.

Seems like Varget is a popular choice amongst F-TR shooters (308) so I think it might be safe to assume it’s also as popular for PRS Tac division 308 shooters. IMR4895 was also a popular powder for F-TR and I’ve read good reviews on the IMR4895.

I’m definitely going to opt for the heavier pills for their wind bucking capabilities compared to the 168s. I just need a couple of powder choices that yield consistent velocities, that aren’t too sensitive to temp changes. I can get my hands on Varget, I already have 1 lb of IMR4895 to test but would live a third option.

Thx for the input

8208 xbr maybe for a third powder or 4166? 4064 has some temp instability but its an old standard along with rl15.

Reactions: Joe.grey
8208 xbr maybe for a third powder or 4166? 4064 has some temp instability but its an old standard along with rl15.

I’ll have a look at 8208 XBR. As for IMR 4166, I have tried it and consistently get inconsistent velocities, hasn’t worked for me on an earlier 308 I had (Rem 700 SPS).

Based on my limited exposure to PRS shooters who run .308s, the 178gr ELD-M at 2,800fps seems to get the most out of the division limitations, which is to say it has the least amount of wind drift when run at mag length and still accurate.

Based on my limited exposure to PRS shooters who run .308s, the 178gr ELD-M at 2,800fps seems to get the most out of the division limitations, which is to say it has the least amount of wind drift when run at mag length and still accurate.

It does have a very high BC for a 178! Will look into it. Thx.

I dont shoot Tactical in the few matches I have participated in but if you can afford them the Warner Flatline 160s are superb and smoke my 6.5s.

I am not a pro or PRS shooter. I use RL15 and still have a big stock of 178 a max. I get about 2750 out of a 23" barrel. I am sure you could get it to 2800. That puts out all the less than 175 bullets. You would probably limit out on FPS before you can take advantage.