• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRVI 308 match

ddw736

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
Can you guys please tell me your experiences with the Prvi 308 match 168 or 175g. I was thinking about buying some because of the price, but I would like to hear some range reports. Accuracy, reliability etc... The ammo will be shot out of my AR10 SASS

Re: PRVI 308 match

Its not quite Federal Gold Match 168gr, but close. I have shot it up to 600 yards and very pleased with the results.

It's not bad, it's not great. Probably MOA out of a sub MOA gun. If you can keep it inside 1 MOA you have good technique and a good stick.

Cheers,

Doc

what kind of results did you have at that distance?

I think I was getting 1 3/4-2 moa with my savage M-10 at 100 yds. That was the 168 bthp, the 175 FMJ was around 3 moa or more.

I tried one box of the 168, was getting one hole for a few rounds then an uncalled flier, never bought another box.

It really varies. I have a couple hundred rounds of it sitting in the closet right now and a few hundred rounds of it down range. Bought 400 and change off a user here from a lot of 500.

Some boxes it was probably at or near the limit of my shooting ability, some boxes it was easily 1.5 MOA and pretty frusterating until I put some rounds out from a box of superformance which indicated it was probably the ammo itself.

I was pretty happy with it as I burned through the first few boxes, but more recently, as I have hit some of the boxes with sub-par performance, I have been less thrilled with the purchase.

Its eastern european. The "match" simply means that it will (probably) all go bang, apparently. And/or that all rounds at least get thrown in the general direction of the intended target.

Beyond that, your results may vary.

It is NOT in the same league as FGMM, BH, Corbon, SW Ammo, or other commercially available "match" ammo but then again...neither is the price tag!

It is reasonably accurate for practice ammo but anyone telling you it is xMOA or yMOA is being hopeful at best for your situation since the results seem to vary pretty widely across the board. Some have reported 2MOA+ while others, me included, have been able to achieved around MOA from a variety of different rifles (but all of which are sub-MOA capable rifles with proper ammo). The best thing you can do is pick up a box of 20 for the both the 168gr and 175gr PRVI offerings and test them in your rifle to see how it goes. If the performance is up to your standards and the price is right...jump on a case!

In my LMT MWS I had one purchase in the old packaging average .89" at 100 yards for three, five shot groups. A second purchase in the new packaging averaged 2.04" for three, five shot groups. It varies from lot to lot. The 175g did not do well in this rifle and the bullet is a FMJ rather than an OTM. I have found the FIOCCHI, which uses a 168g SMK to be more consistent and it shoots right at moa in this rifle.

Watch out for overpressure. I don't know how it will run in a semi, but the primers wanted out in a bad way in my 700. Not incredibly accurate, either. Contact Mike at Southwest Ammo and call it a done deal.

+1 on what most are saying here. I can get the 168's MOA with an occasional flier. It is definitely NOT Federal, or Black Hills. These results are with AR 10 style rifles. You get what you pay for.

The 168gr stuff is about 2MOA from my RRA LAR8 at 300 yards. It is better than mil-surp or cheap hunting ammo, but definitely not comparable to Federal GMM.

I shot a bit at 650 yards and was impressed. I found it to be very consistant. I was shooting the privi 145 though. A fellow shooter was using the match and he found it to be the same "consistant" at same distance. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong. Just remember that if you are planning on reloading I believe they have crimped primers.

Guys I want to thank you for your help. This has made my decision easy. I will spend the extra money and buy FGM match. I got $400 burning a hole in my pocket for match 175 ammo. Anyone know a good ammo seller besides Palmetteo State Armory??? Looking to buy 500rnds or more if I can get it.

dave

Give Southwest Ammo a try, you will not be disappointed.

Their 175gr SMK shoot very well out of my Savage. I use it in the 1000 yard matches at Alliance Rifle Club.

200 rounds for $200.00

good m1a range fodder for offhand practice. fgmm it is not but still decent. probably gives 1.5moa off the bench for me. id put it smack in between surplus m80 ball and fgmm and it seems priced accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddw736</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I want to thank you for your help. This has made my decision easy. I will spend the extra money and buy FGM match. I got $400 burning a hole in my pocket for match 175 ammo. Anyone know a good ammo seller besides Palmetteo State Armory??? Looking to buy 500rnds or more if I can get it.

dave </div></div>

Used this stuff from USA Ammo out of my bolt gun with great results
http://www.usaammo.com/308-Win-175-gr-HPBT-Match-P153.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morgan711</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddw736</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I want to thank you for your help. This has made my decision easy. I will spend the extra money and buy FGM match. I got $400 burning a hole in my pocket for match 175 ammo. Anyone know a good ammo seller besides Palmetteo State Armory??? Looking to buy 500rnds or more if I can get it.

dave </div></div>

Used this stuff from USA Ammo out of my bolt gun with great results
http://www.usaammo.com/308-Win-175-gr-HPBT-Match-P153.aspx </div></div>
What brand bullet do they use?

Any of you try the Amax (Hornady)??? Trying to work up a good load??

Why not try the american eagle 168 OTM load.

can be had for 15 bucks a box at palmetto state and is very accurate.

It also has the benefit of crimped in primers. It is specifically made for gas guns.

Top shelf ammo at very reasonable price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not try the american eagle 168 OTM load.

can be had for 15 bucks a box at palmetto state and is very accurate.

It also has the benefit of crimped in primers. It is specifically made for gas guns.

Top shelf ammo at very reasonable price. </div></div>

In my experiance the PRVI with 168-gr is just as accurate as the American Eagle OTM load. With the American Eagle maybe being more consistant. If your banging steel, and need practice calling wind, it's an affordable ammo to use, but don't waste your time or money if you expect record groups on paper. I sold the last case of the PRVI 168 I had because of my frustartion with the occasional fliers.

I still have and use the PRVI 175 stuff. I find it a bit better with consistanacy then the 168, and it very closely resembles the FGMM 175 in down range ballistics, more so then the M118 Match or Surplus M118LR I've used. It can be a sub-moa round with the right rifle.

Reliability or over-pressure has never been an issue for me using the PRVI. Note: I find some PRVI 5.56 55-gr FMJ a but underpowered.

I was lucky enough to purchase a few cases of both flavors at a very reasonable price for around or less then $12 a box prior to the Obamination ammo scare.

I also have some of the PRVI 223 69-gr Match, and it truley is a 1.5 to 2-MOA round. The good thing is it runs very reliably in my LMT gas piston cabine, and I'll be using it for 3-gun matches on windy days.