• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PS-22 and AICS

Pete Millan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Hi Folks,

I'm very new here, living in South Africa.

OK, some while back I imported a GeneSys FS-22 (a badge engineered ATN) in Gen 2+ from the distributors in Ireland. The prime use is for culling animals at night - impala and wildebeest - on the company game farm. We donate the meat to the local black communities which minimises the poaching and gets us some goodwill into the bargain and it ties up our game management policies too.

The mounting kit supplied attaches to the objective of the scope (a 4.5-14X50 Leupold Illuminated with MD reticle). This is all mounted on a 222 Sako with an MAE silencer so theoretically this rig is the dog's nuts for culling game.

My first (and only, thusfar) experience wasn't too good. I sighted in the rifle in daylight, no problems, clipped on the NVD and went out. My first shot on an impala (head shot) was a clean miss at about 100 meters. Next shot I went for the shoulder, also 100m and I hit it about 2ft right of aiming point IN THE ASS! Fortunately I broke its hip so it wasn't going anywhere. I've not used it since as I don't trust it.

So now I am thinking the weight of the NVD is doing something to the scope, so I decide to switch out the entire shooting rig to my 6XC which is mounted on an AICS.

I dropped 3 bills on a Badger IMUNS yesterday which will solve the scope strain problem (which I probably do not have!!) and now having joined this forum I am reading of collimation problems these clip-on units may have ex-factory. The brochure says 1 MOA alignment which I clearly do not have.

As far as the IMUNS is concerned has anyone measured what the height of the top of the rail is relative to the bore axis? As I need to know what ring height to get to achieve proper Scope/NVD alignment.

How do you get round this collimation issue? I don't think there is anyone local who can fix it and I really don't want to export the thing back to Ireland to get fixed. It was enough hassle first time round getting it here!

Sorry for the long post!

Pete

Re: PS-22 and AICS

I think your scope is going to be too much for the PS22. It prefers a 40mm objective or smaller. More info here: PS22

Re: PS-22 and AICS

I read that thread, thanks for the link!

It intrigued me so much I went out this evening and did a similar experiment.

I sighted in my scope in daylight at 100m. Then waited for darkness to fall.

Then I put on the PS-22 in its proper position and shot one 3 shot group. I walked to the target and I had put a neat 3/4" group 2" left of the AP and 1.5" high.

I loosened the scope clamp and rotated the PS-22 90 degrees anti-clockwise, then tightened it up. The next 3 shot group was 0.7", this time 2" low and 2" left of the AP.

Next I rotated it 180 degrees clockwise (90 deg right of normal). The group was about 1" high and 1" right.

So I definitely have a collimation problem and it is way out of the 1 MOA spec.

On the plus side the image was pretty good and for the rifle to shoot sub moa in the pitch dark is pretty astounding.

My next problem is now having found the problem how do I go about fixing it? Fortunately one of my pals has pals in the special forces,(CO no less),and they have all sorts of fancy NVD stuff and they must get it serviced somewhere. So I'll explore that avenue.

About clamping an NVD to a scope - don't do it! I noticed that after 3 shots the scope had just about slid off the objective and was about to hit the ground. M1913 is the way to go.