• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pst gen 2 vs razor gen 3 vs Mk5

Coming from a pst gen 2 how much better is glass quality and features with a gen 3 razor 6-36 or a Mk5 7-35?
No comparison, glass wise the G3 holds its own against ZCO and TT, two of the best I’ve ever seen. Have a review coming out soon, best glass I’ve ever seen from Japan in that Vortex, totally took me by surprise. Wish it had better turrets, they’re not horrible but definitely a step down from the alpha scopes with regard to feel.

No comparison, glass wise the G3 holds its own against ZCO and TT, two of the best I’ve ever seen. Have a review coming out soon, best glass I’ve ever seen from Japan in that Vortex, totally took me by surprise. Wish it had better turrets, they’re not horrible but definitely a step down from the alpha scopes with regard to feel.

I was told I can send my G3's back in for a turret tune up, have you done this? Just curious.

I was told I can send my G3's back in for a turret tune up, have you done this? Just curious.
Yes I have, Vortex has the best warranty in the business, they will turn it around in less than 2 weeks. The improvement was minimal for mine, but mine was not exhibiting some of the issues that others reported, mine had different click feel and sound throughout the range but always landed right where it should, after servicing the clicks were more consistent but still had/have that muted sound which I was hoping would change to a tighter 'click - click - click'. It's more personal preference as the turrets work fine and are repeatable.

Reactions: superde
Thanks for all the feedback I was tossed up between upgrading to either the Mk5 or the razor from what I’ve read and seen the razor is a worthwhile upgrade. I went from a strike eagle to the pst gen 2 and noticed a difference I should’ve just went razor right out of the gate.

I shipped mine out on a Thursday, and returned the next Thursday with the turret "fix".

I've got all kinds of optics, from 3 ZCOs, 1 Razor Gen 3, 2 Razor Gen 2s, Viper PST Gen 2, Strike Eagle 5-25. Razor Gen 3 is a substantial upgrade from the PST Gen 2. The Gen 3 is by no means a "ZCO killer" but more like an improved version of the Razor G2, which is already a great optic. For half the cost of a ZCO, it's fantastic, and crushes everything else in it's price range (~$2400).

Not if you send it it for an update. I sent mine in recently and told them the clicks felt mushy. When I got it back the clicks and the locking mechanism felt fantastic. You have to lean into it to lock them and the clicks are heavy precise thuds. I wouldn’t sell this scope if someone offered me 3x the map.

I shipped mine out on a Thursday, and returned the next Thursday with the turret "fix".

I've got all kinds of optics, from 3 ZCOs, 1 Razor Gen 3, 2 Razor Gen 2s, Viper PST Gen 2, Strike Eagle 5-25. Razor Gen 3 is a substantial upgrade from the PST Gen 2. The Gen 3 is by no means a "ZCO killer" but more like an improved version of the Razor G2, which is already a great optic. For half the cost of a ZCO, it's fantastic, and crushes everything else in it's price range (~$2400).
I currently have 3 Gen 3's, and the glass is fantastic. While I have 3 different feeling turrets, none of them are a deal breaker, and I have run them all in matches. I was just curious if it was worth it.

i noticed just going from the strike eagle to the pst gen 2 how much clearer it was the strike eagle gets dark shadows bad in my case when on x25 I just wanted to confirm that the gen 3 is just that much better than the pst .

I currently have 3 Gen 3's, and the glass is fantastic. While I have 3 different feeling turrets, none of them are a deal breaker, and I have run them all in matches. I was just curious if it was worth it.

I sent mine back for the fix, and I'm happy I did it. My turrets weren't awful, but now they're a bit closer to the Razor Gen 2 turrets. Not quite as positive, but they're a slight improvement, and the turret locking mechanism was also improved. A week door-to-door was worth it for me (plus I have plenty of different guns to shoot while I waited).

I’ll have to pick one up from someone on here my first match is the 6th so I’m trying to round up everything I’ll need.

Will echo many others here. Gen2 PST is the FLOOR that I, as a glass snob, would run in a match. You can mostly trust them to track, and you can see through it.... But it's not stellar. Price is right for the performance.

Mk5 is a distinct step up in the clarity and the turret design/feel is better.

Gen3 6-36 is a distinct step up from the Mk5 in clarity and reticle. I don't mind the G3 turrets but mine seems to be better than some of the early ones my buddies have. For "gamer gun" PRS matches, I don't know that there's a different scope I'd like to run.

Where do you buy a Gen 3 for $2400? I have been looking for a while…
Thanks.

Go razor is your are going to be in a frequent use (weekly or more) or if you’re going to be physically tough on the gun. If it’s for classes, occasional use or whatever the Viper will do you fine.