• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG 40x repeater action

Rem.243

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
Has anyone gotten one yet? Looks like the have a single shot and a repeater version

Im curious to know how well they shoot and what mags are used. I do know they have a bad rep on customer service but just curious on how the action performs.

A guy on FB posted some pictures of the action ge received and it looks pretty good

Attachments

• 7C641FF7-8DA4-41EE-BD05-BE3CDE764BAF.jpeg
    7C641FF7-8DA4-41EE-BD05-BE3CDE764BAF.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Love
Reactions: sinister and Sc0-
If those are significantly better and/or significantly less expensive than Vudoo or RimX, go for it.

I dont know if they are significantly better or not as i havent found any information on them yet. As far as price they are cheaper than rimx and vudoo

From my opinion it looks like a 40x with an Bush/Elrod conversion for vudoo mags and they added a side bolt release as well. So maybe an improved version of the original 40x? (Side bolt release looks like one on the stiller lonestar)

Reactions: sinister
Here are some additional pictures

Attachments

• 582610C0-167A-46D3-81A5-52F020E2161F.jpeg
    582610C0-167A-46D3-81A5-52F020E2161F.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 400
  • 9FFB3280-C9EC-40F3-BCAD-80DF4C41EAEA.jpeg
    9FFB3280-C9EC-40F3-BCAD-80DF4C41EAEA.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 38D9F1B2-0166-4222-A97C-418FF7300221.jpeg
    38D9F1B2-0166-4222-A97C-418FF7300221.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 400
  • A6820548-223A-4997-AEB7-65C4E70E765A.jpeg
    A6820548-223A-4997-AEB7-65C4E70E765A.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Love
I am seeing the ptg 40x repeater as 967.40 on ptgs website. The rimx is 1150 and the vudoo is 1320 per their websites. Tbh I would spend the extra and not deal with ptg. Once you add a barrel by a local Smith for the 40x, you are around 1600. At that price, I would go for the rimx or duece which will end up being right about the same price. The vudoo is only roughly ten percent more. The customer service from rimx and vudoo are both worth the money.

I am seeing the ptg 40x repeater as 967.40 on ptgs website. The rimx is 1150 and the vudoo is 1320 per their websites. Tbh I would spend the extra and not deal with ptg. Once you add a barrel by a local Smith for the 40x, you are around 1600. At that price, I would go for the rimx or duece which will end up being right about the same price. The vudoo is only roughly ten percent more. The customer service from rimx and vudoo are both worth the money.
At that price you are absolutely correct - vudoo is the way to go for that minimal difference after everything needed etc.

How are these repeater and single shot actions , there were discussions before on a couple of different forums that were not favorable

Hard to really tell from the photos posted whether that action had been modified to work as a repeater. The feed tray for single loading appears the same as my original 40X, which has to be removed, the magazine cut-out made, and the ejector modified to work with the Vudoo magazine. The extractor/pusher also need modded to work in a repeater in order to feed correctly & work smoothly with the V22 mags. I sent two CMP actions (one a 40X, the other a 40XB) to jelrod for the repeater conversions, but since I did the barrel work when they came back to me, Jonathan couldn't do his full extractor/pusher tuning while he had the actions because they neither one had barrels mounted at the time. It took me a considerable amount of time to finalize that tuning, and in so doing, I went too far in metal removal on a couple of extractors, and had to buy new ones from Gun Parts Corp and start over. Because the springs that power both the extractor & pusher are longer than the later shortened ones that VGW started supplying with their V22 actions, it was much more difficult to remove & replace the extractor & pusher in the 40X actions that it is today to do the same thing in a V22 action. Had I known to shorten and how much to shorten these springs back before VGW worked that issue out, I'd have had a lot less trouble while finalizing the shape of those parts in my two 40Xs.

After I'd bought my 1st V22 action, other owners were reporting ejection issues, so Paul got to work (maybe with help from Mike, IDK), and designed some changes in the shapes of the extractor/pusher, radiused the noses of the dinky little pushrods that the springs push against the foot of the extractor/pushers, and shortened the springs that power them. Paul sent me a baggie of extra parts, and texted me a video of where to make changes to the shapes of the parts, and after that help, it took me maybe 15-20 min to remove, modify, and replace these parts in my bolt. I'd only just started to have a few ejection issues with my rifle after 500+rds through it before making the changes, and these mods have given me 100% reliable extraction/ejection for the four or more years since. A guy with jelrod's experience & skill might not have any problem getting the PTG action to function reliably as a repeater, but for the rest of us, it would seem to me to make a lot more sense to just go with a V22 to begin with...

The magazine cut-out looks similar to the one that Mike Bush sent me drawings for, to use with his prototype V22 mags. I've never been around a Bergara rifle or magazine, so don't have much of a clue as to how close to the V22 mags they might be. But if you're able to get good, reliable feeding & ejection with those PTG-sourced actions, it's hard to argue with success...

• Love
LaShagal ,would , would you post a picture of the bolt , it’s not a regular 40x 22 bolt ?

How do they differ? The cocking ramps are machined onto the lugs instead of into the receiver, there is no notch under the bolt handle. The action is just as smooth as a rem 40x, the bolt head is supported in the FWD ring,but there is no Spring/Filler in the LHS lug race...so brass occasionally finds its way over there. I'm as pleased as punch with them. All the HORROR stories about PTG, and guys telling me I'd just thrown my money away...They're really well made and at a price point that's hard to argue with.
2022-06-29.jpg

I'd love to have a rblp lonestar, but the negative reviews of PTG are keeping me from ordering one.

LeShagal, have you purchased one of the single shot /lonestar actions ? If so how was it ?

Man, I've heard all the horror stories about ptg but I'm really considering tempting fate on one of these at the sale price.

We're these actions blueprints and ready to go?
if you can re-barrel a 700/40x..... aside from the extractor cuts, these are a walk in the park. I dunno where all the ptg hate comes from? We spend with them regularly and with the exception of some odd long lead items (guages, wrenches, reamers) that took forever to get, we've never had an issue.

the only thing i wish was different was the port length....I'd like to make a .17hmr-.22lr barrel changer

if you can re-barrel a 700/40x..... aside from the extractor cuts, these are a walk in the park. I dunno where all the ptg hate comes from? We spend with them regularly and with the exception of some odd long lead items (guages, wrenches, reamers) that took forever to get, we've never had an issue.

the only thing i wish was different was the port length....I'd like to make a .17hmr-.22lr barrel changer
i completely agree with you i would prefer the larger port like the original 40x not sure what made them switch the port size… the original images i posted seemed to have had the larger port

Reactions: Pomyluy
For the $$$ i'm not complaining! At the current price there's a LOT of value there!
When you consider what old whipped out CMP Remington 40x single shots are bringing, $600 for a New, AICSmag compatible, 40x repeater.....is a heck of a bargain! (+ you can buy them in stainless!!!)

Sounds like you have cut some barrels to fit these? If so, are the tenon dimensions the same as a 40X rimfire?

Reactions: Rem.243
How much does action flex really matter for a rimfire?
I work with .0005 ten thousandths regular .00005 5 ten hundred thousandths flex would have to be measured in a lab. Translate .00005 flex in a action equals .0012 at the end of a 24" barrel or .090 thousandths at 50 yards! The main concern is repeated flex or twist .000005 millonths flex equals .009 thousandths at 50 yards!

Reactions: Pomyluy
Flex is what changed from the original design. That large port wasn't a good thing and would cause flex in the action.
The humor here astounds me.
Most likely an economy move, Reducing the linear inches of machining=faster cycle time=cheaper to make.
The original 40x rimfires were just regular SA 700 receivers diverted from the line (again economy, it was just easier to use the port size they were tooled up for and manufacturing en-masse)

"Flex" you guys slay me!

The humor here astounds me.
Most likely an economy move, Reducing the linear inches of machining=faster cycle time=cheaper to make.
The original 40x rimfires were just regular SA 700 receivers diverted from the line (again economy, it was just easier to use the port size they were tooled up for and manufacturing en-masse)

"Flex" you guys slay me!
Your right Flex was alittle broad based.
Molecular distortion is the correct term.
Attributes during steel processing, rough machining, thermal processing ,final machining and installation control distortion and can be used to tune or eliminate distortion.
Disclaimer most manufactured components are engineered for a predetermind life span or quality rating under GOV. Safety or product guidelines.
Ackromyn ( you get what you pay for )

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Turbo2
Well I guess you could be right according to Wiki. I was analyzing it from a metallurgy stand point.

Attachments

• 20220713_121554.jpg
    20220713_121554.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 48
@LeShagal Sounds like you have cut some barrels to fit these? If so, are the tenon dimensions the same as a 40X rimfire?
Nearly identical....only because the original 40x varied a bit gun to gun. compared to the gauge I have for my 3 40xr rifles the PTG tenon is about .005" shorter. However it is worth noting, The 4 PTG actions we received are all identical (threads are timed, so barrels interchange gun to gun)
No the correct term is flex absolutely. The 40x and even rear lock up actions you can see the crosshairs move when locking the bolt. That is flex , that's why you see a lot of shooters moving to the rails to mount across the loading port. It reduces or eliminates that flex in the scope.
My god you guys are serious...How about you wikipedia wonders take this speculative pseudo-engineering thought exercise elsewhere??

Nearly identical....only because the original 40x varied a bit gun to gun. compared to the gauge I have for my 3 40xr rifles the PTG tenon is about .005" shorter. However it is worth noting, The 4 PTG actions we received are all identical (threads are timed, so barrels interchange gun to gun)
Just curious just what is your machining back ground ?
Mines 43 years in machining ,associate in metallurgy 22 years Mil defense manufacturing with 8 years in The Boeing Naval pathway program primarily exotic metals for DOD development with a combined 23 years Tool and dye work?

Two questions- what magazine does the PTG receiver use and does anyone make a prefit barrel for it?

Looks to me as though the repeater uses V22 magazines, though LeShagal said in his reply that he's been using Bergara magazines if the four repeater actions he bought and built into custom rifles. Guys have asked if anyone is making pre-fit barrels for the V22 as well, and the answer is that it's not practical due to having to perfectly time the extractor slots - same is true of the PTG action.

Guys have asked if anyone is making pre-fit barrels for the V22 as well, and the answer is that it's not practical due to having to perfectly time the extractor slots - same is true of the PTG action.

The aforementioned four PTG actions have CNC Timed threads. It would APPEAR that the PTG actions could support Prefit barrels (not unlike a B14r). If there's sufficient interest that's something we'd be willing to offer.
I mentioned to another member in a PM, Given the options on the market (and a killer house made action) I think the SS PTG actions are a SCREAMING deal for the $$$

Attachments

• 85de8297-46ca-4a66-86d6-a44c29e2d603.jpg
    85de8297-46ca-4a66-86d6-a44c29e2d603.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 147
I received the very first PTG 40x repeater action from Dave several months ago. I checked it all out and it was actually true in all dimensions that i could measure. within .0003 anyway. I had some issues with the extractors on my particular action but i had some that ended up working properly in my parts bin. After the extractors were replaced i had some issues with feeding from vudoo magazines. I was under the impression from Dave that a proprietary magazine system was in the works? Perhaps not? I got busy and never did follow up much with Dave. I ended up putting the rifle away to visit another day. I didn't try the Bergara magazines and i appreciate whoever shared this info above. I have a couple in the shop at the moment so ill give them a go. I chambered a shilen ratchet for mine and it did shoot well. Pin strike looked good, location and depth. Ill follow up once i try these Bergara magazines.
Lee Gardner Precision

Looks to me as though the repeater uses V22 magazines, though LeShagal said in his reply that he's been using Bergara magazines if the four repeater actions he bought and built into custom rifles. Guys have asked if anyone is making pre-fit barrels for the V22 as well, and the answer is that it's not practical due to having to perfectly time the extractor slots - same is true of the PTG action.
Has anybody determined if Vudoo magazines function properly in this action?

I placed an order for a 40x repeater back in the beginning of July, and I have yet to receive it. I am being told they have ran into issues, and we’re getting new extractor, tensioner, and springs.

Issues? ours are problem free.
We use B14R mags without issue.
Please post copy of your email from PTG,
We just ordered another stainless and a blued repeater like a week ago for customer builds....I'll be eager to see what's been changed.

Claybrich,
Let us know what they say ,
LeShagal ,
How long do they normally take to fill an order ? Did you ever get a single shot receiver ?

These look like pretty nice actions for the $. Since they duplicate the function of a 40x with the modern immenity of a real mag, hard to go wrong. These should be finished up this weekend.

Attachments

• 20221217_124142.jpg
    20221217_124142.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 128
Owl
The right one has the PTG Kenyon style trigger ? Does it require the cocking piece to be ground at a 90* contact area like Kenyons trigger ?

Looks like some have the straight 722-style handle with round knob and some have the swept 700 handle and knob.

Claybrich,
Let us know what they say ,
LeShagal ,
How long do they normally take to fill an order ? Did you ever get a single shot receiver ?
Never needed a single shot, Remington made plenty.
All of Mine are straight bolt handle with the threaded on ball (so far)

Little outfits (MVA and Steve Earle products come to mind) are like that; A little slower than we,
the Amazon Overnight, generation are used to...but the products are top notch.
PTG is not a GIANT outfit, they're probably running a little behind. It took me FOREVER to get a reamer a while back.....
(but like all PTG stuff, when it arrived it was only perfect. )

After looking at my Monthly grocery bill and giving this all a think,
At $650 a receiver I'm certainly not paying enough for perfection, so I'll gladly wait for it!