• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PTR-91 build questions

BigAndy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
MI, USA
Picked up a NIB 16" 91 from CDNN. Looking to have a compact rifle in a big boy cartridge. It came with the narrow handguard, which definitely needs to go. Question 1: are any of the ones on this page (Stock, Green Plastic (w/ Backplate Assembly) Gun Parts | 808920 | Numrich Gun Parts) not skinny? Second thought was to drill and screw in a Picatinny rail into the fatter handguard (poor man's way of attaching a foregrip and/or bipod); any issues here? Lastly, how big of a PITA is welding a rail onto the receiver? I can answer questions, provide particulars, and attach pictures if needed. Any help/guidance will be appreciated.

Yeah, I think I will just call robertrtg.com for some answers. Not trying to spend a ton on rail and forearm though; still have to swing the optic, trigger job, and 7.62x51-food. Anyone reading this should feel free to add to this post; haven't seen a cool PTR build thread, ergo feel free to jack the thread.
-JA

Your biggest obstacle will be the trigger. It is a sliding sear design and it is weighted heavy for safety reasons. You can clean it up but you can't lighten it much and be safe.

As to the mount you can weld a rail but I recommend the B&T mount. It will help stiffen the receiver. It is expensive but good mounts cost money. You will want a compact optic. 12" or less to ear the charging handle.

As for the bipod, Harris make a stud adaptor for the wood stock M1A. It is the appropriate thickness to compensate for the heat shield inside the wide 91 handguard.

Hey guy you can do what you like but give one of these a look. After testing it was and I have checked this myself, even with just a 10.25" barrel the7.62X39 still has a muzzle velocity of 2100 to 2150 FPS. With good ammo shoots 1-1 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412132715.902995.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just because the handguards are green doesn't mean you can't just make them black. I use a pack of black and little bit of green RIT Dye and soak the handguards in boiling water with the dye overnight. They come out very nice black if you use a little bit of green to make it darker.

Also check out HKPARTS.NET - HKPARTS.NET

For a trigger job, Google Bill Springfield or join up over at hkpro.com forums.

I used to have a PTR-91. You could put in a PSG-1 lower and stock if you wanted to on a PTR.

Just because the handguards are green doesn't mean you can't just make them black. I use a pack of black and little bit of green RIT Dye and soak the handguards in boiling water with the dye overnight. They come out very nice black if you use a little bit of green to make it darker.

Also check out HKPARTS.NET - HKPARTS.NET

For a trigger job, Google Bill Springfield or join up over at hkpro.com forums.

I used to have a PTR-91. You could put in a PSG-1 lower and stock if you wanted to on a PTR.

Already have a quote from Bill Springfield on a new lower and cocking handle. Just need a fat handguard and a way to mount an EOTech or ACOG.
Thanks again,
- BigAndy

To follow up, HKPARTS.NET is too expensive for me. Wouldn't mind putting a wood handguard on there, so long as it's chubby. Just can't figure why a wide piece of plastic is 4-5X as expensive as a thin piece; it's not materials nor is it molding. Let me know if anyone reading this has an extra.
Thanks again.

here is my 91 with an ACOG, they work great, B&T mount..........
03590636-9a4b-4482-ba2f-25eb171a9e03.jpg

Last edited:
Sure is pretty Mew. By the time you got the grip, PRS, mount, and ACOG you probably have a lot more spent, than the original rifle price, correct?

rumor is that PTR will weld on their factory rail and refinish the gun for around 280 including shipping both ways. Might be a good choice as you would get a factory solution and have a superior finish at the same time.

I was just showing the ACOG as example for optics. But yes the PTR is way less than an HK91
To be sure. My PTR has an A3 stock and a vortex sparc2 which is a great rifle too not to mention a bargain at around $1400 including a Bspringfield trigger.

Last edited:
I got a more up to date quote for a rail from ptr. They said 190+shipping to install and powder coat refinish. definitely not bad.

Also, that FALfiles page makes me hope someone swaps me an FAL soon. That and a PTR would make a pretty pair. Just trying to avoid too many irons in the fire right now, but sure love an FAL kit and receiver.