• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Public Range eye OPENER

FN in MT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
Craig, MT
Other than for Matches or when I was on the cop job...I seldom ever see a real Range. I have a nearby quarry that folks shoot at, but I seldom see anyone else there. And I have a decent 200 yd range in my west field. So much open property here in central Montana that it's fairly easy to find a nice place to shoot.

Went to Portland this past weekend to visit my Niece and her new baby. Took her husband out to shoot a few AR's/AK's as he wants a .223 type auto, but not sure WHAT.

We went to a parcel of State land with several small shooting areas most only 40 or 50 yds long. Finally found a quarry area that allowed 100 yds, uphill. Unfortunately had to share it with a few other groups of shooters.

I was amazed that most of the attendees basically shot mag after mag from either their Ruger 10/22's or AR's , AK's ...pretty much as fast as the trigger could be pulled....and how infrequently they actually HIT anything. We heard a near constant stream of rapid fire, with rifles from the short ranges that were below us. Shooting rifle at 40 yds...what a challenge.

We shot some pistol and our pistol performance at 50 and 75 yds on plastic litre pop bottles was about as good as most of these clowns did with their rifles.

Did get to see a few 20 pound AR's though. Never knew one could hang that much "made in China" shit on an AR. Lights, lasers, slings, sling adapters, Medevel looking flash hiders, double mag adapters, Zombie warnings, much of it either camo'd or desert tan.

And the OPTICS! NC Star and no name red dots.

FN in MT

Re: Public Range eye OPENER

it is not always necessary to have a "challenge" to have fun.
Sometimes it is just fun to dump a few magazines.
Just because someone shoots differently and has a different kind of fun does not make it ridiculous.

As long as they are doing it in a safe manner, who cares? They were probably having the time of their lives.
That is how my brother shoots. We go to the desert and all he wants to do is burn through ammo as fast as he can. Bumpfiring his mini14 and shooting 2 45's at the same time into the hillside. Having a blast. He has no interest in shooting long range or improving his "skills", And that is just fine.

Especially for first time shooters, not having the pressure of having to shoot tight groups, is what gets them comfortable with shooting.
Saying that though, I have a friend who shoots just to throw lead down range and doesn't care about hitting anything. I just cant financially afford that kind fun shooting. Rounds are money to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is not always necessary to have a "challenge" to have fun.
Sometimes it is just fun to dump a few magazines.
Just because someone shoots differently and has a different kind of fun does not make it ridiculous. </div></div>

I didn't see guys dumping a FEW magazines...They were dumping EVERY magazine. I guess like rap music...I just don't get it. Huge waste of money in my eyes, while learning nothing.

Don't sit there and tell us you don't enjoy the occasional mag dump. This is America!

Sounds like your first trip to a public shooting range.

Was everyone being safe? What's the point of an AR/AK/ or any other semi auto gun? Faster reloading time, i.e. quicker time before the next round comes out of the tube. Some people just like to take that to the extreme. Its all in the name of fun as long as everyone stays safe.