• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Pulled a thread out of my action...

-paradox-

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
Just bedded my stock and it was just enough extra thickness that the screw grabbed but when I torqued it down I ripped a thread out.. Option? Chase the threads, get longer front action screw?

4A3F3884-69B5-408A-87B6-B04E3CA79DB8-277-0000001FCB37F43F_zps45dc4c94.jpg

Theres an easy way to set up guard screws for max purchase while ensuring its not running into the bolt.

28 pitch ='s .0357/rev. Common for just about every Rem clone out there.

32 pitch ='s .03125/rev. Common for Winnies and a few others.

Put a screw in till its tight. Have the bolt out of the gun. Now insert the bolt. Back out the screw and count the revs till the bolt falls into battery.

# of revs X pitch (.0357) ='s amount to remove from screw.

In the rear on a rem you do the same thing only you watch and stop once it looks right.

On custom actions like a Defiance you need to be more careful on the back. The threads stop short of the cocking piece track. Dont jam the screw into it as it mucks it up. You have to exercise more patience with these to make them look nice.

Hope this helps.

C.

Last edited:
Was the screw way too short to begin with? Otherwise I feel like you may have an issue with the bedding affecting feeding if you have bottom metal. A slight difference in bedding thickness would not have caused this if the screw was proper length to begin with. If its not a DBM feed you probably wont have issues though. Maybe some additional info/pics will clear it up.

Was the screw way too short to begin with? Otherwise I feel like you may have an issue with the bedding affecting feeding if you have bottom metal. A slight difference in bedding thickness would not have caused this if the screw was proper length to begin with. If its not a DBM feed you probably wont have issues though. Maybe some additional info/pics will clear it up.

I think it was too short to begin with, yes. The bedding isn't more than 1/16 of an Inch which tells you how much thread it had in. It's a factory screw though and a b&c stock.

Brownells sells the extended length screws. Gotten to where I have to use them on all of the bedded McMillan stocks.

paradox,

First, usually when after bedding, you use the original screws/bolts to lock the action back into the stock there should not be a whole lot of difference. Sometimes, something moves just enough to make things difficult during the bedding process and you may have an ALIGNMENT problem. Thickness of bedding or change in how the barrel may lay in the channel can be factors. Make sure the action is good and seated, then take a flashlight and make sure you have a clear shot at the threads in the hole. And, that it's centered and facing directly out of the stock hole. Take a longer screw and check it goes in freely.

You should not have to re-cut threads. But if you do have to hog it out and go with new, go with the fine threads. They hold more than coarse threads. It sounds counter-intuitive, like fine means delicate, but it's just the opposite. Fine threads hold more torque.

Last edited: