• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pulsar Digisight - Update & Failure Report

Xshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Evansville, WI
With these new developments, I thought it best to discontinue my old thread and start a new one.

First the bad news. My Digisight N550 failed this past Sunday, while reviewing the "One Shot" sight in feature. Cumulative operation time was just under 1 and 1/2 hours... bummer. Prior to the failure, I experienced a series of horizontal lines flashing across the screen. Then the screen went bright white with no image. I tried to resolve the problem by cycling it on an off several times, then ran through all the different controls and replaced the batteries with fresh ones. Nothing worked, so I let it sit for a couple of hours and went through the problem resolution steps again.

Up to this point I was pleased with the N550's function and for my varmint hunting needs it performed very well as equipped. I purchased the N550 from Optics Planet and did so because of their stellar customer service and 30 day return policy. Sunday night I completed the online RMA process and printed out the shipping label and associated documents. I gave them the option to either provide a new replacement or a full refund if they didn't have any in stock.

Now the good news. After shipping off my defective N550 I called Optics Planet. Sure enough, they didn't have any in stock to send as a replacement, but freely offered to provide a refund.

I really want to put the N550 through it's paces, so I picked up the phone and called Pulsar direct. After explaining my situation the receptionist ask me to please hold. After a few moments a gentleman came on the line and asked how he could help. We chatted about the failure and my desire to get a new unit. Ivan apologized for the inconvenience and assured me that Optics Planet would be sent a unit, promptly, to replace mine. He explained the replacement unit would either come from the distributor or directly from Pulsar's LE inventory. We agreed to exchange emails with our pertinent information once we hung up. Within an hour I received a phone call from Sellmark, the Pulsar distributor to Optics Planet. The rep from Sellmark, Jeff, was all about customer service too!

Turns out Ivan is the President of Pulsar. Pulsar has 700 employees globally and the President is taking care of my issue. FYI - Jeff mentioned that this is the first Digisight N550 failure report they have received.

I'm glad I invested the extra time and effort to acquire another N550 and give it a second chance. Besides, the customer service has been excellent up to this point.

I should mention, again, Pulsar provides a 3 year warranty for the N550, which they extend to 4 years if your register on their web site. Not too shabby!

Re: Pulsar Digisight - Update & Failure Report

Xshot, I am really watching your posts to see how you do with the unit in live hunting situations. After my test I sent mine back after testing but I am still considering buying one in the future. It has great potential for hunting usage. M25beastshooter is also getting one to test as he is LE so I will also wait to see his tests as he will look at it from a different angle. Best of luck and I am glad to see what great customer service they have.

Did you email us regarding this out of interest?

We have found Pulsar to be a highly efficient and customer service orientated company.

We have sold hundreds of these units now, and have found Pulsar very satisfactory in resolving any issues we have had.

These few issues have been down to incorrect batteries being used and in one instance the solder on a video out port being incorrect.

Overall they have proven very reliable.

My own unit has been tested by various hunting magazines and used and abused for tests etc and is operating as well as it was the day i first turned it on.

Best Regards

Paul Stewart

www.scottcountry.co.uk

Yes Paul I have exchanged emails with you.

I broke down and bought a CHEAP portable DVR off ebay. I should be able to capture 640 x 480 images @ 30 FPS directly from the AV output on the Digisight N550. If I can capture images that are a reasonable facsimile of what I'm seeing I'll post them.

Since I have all the components and tools already, I'll probably build a light weigh fast charge battery pack. The on-board batteries seem to be sufficient for a single night, but I would like to have something for a long weekend hunt. It's a good thing I held onto all my electric RC racing stuff.

Optics Planet and Pulsar arranged for a new replacement of my original N550. Turn around was exactly 2 weeks. I'm glad they stand behind the product.

I purchased a cheap DVR and did some testing. The captured images on the DVR look real good, but it's going to take me some time to learn how to use the Divx video software for me to be able to post worthwhile videos. I have the N550 sighted in at 100 yards, but the skeeters are so bad that I don't go out at night. Never seen them this bad... it's like being in the Yukon territory in late summer.