• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar N550 Digisight

Re: Pulsar N550 Digisight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battle Cattle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who have been looking for Yukon MPR clones, I have two words of warning.

The first is that there are very similar mini DVRs on eBay and elsewhere that have similar names, boxes, and even look very similar in pictures until put side-by-side. However, they are not the same.

The one on the right is the one you want because it will record audio with an internal microphone when connected to a video-only feed such as that from a Pulsar device. It also has the option of turning off the date/time stamp. The one on the left does not have that option so its date/time stamp overlaps the OSD of the Digisight so neither can be read.

The second warning is that the correct mini DVR is getting hard to find on eBay for a good price. It is often labeled as a DVR-596. Some people on other forums have bought them from hishopnow.com in the past. However, when I placed an order I never received anything, resulting in a months-long nightmare trying to get PayPal to refund my money. I ended up buying it from an Amazon affiliate for $145.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Despite the appearance of a mic, the imposter has no internal microphone. You can only get audio if you buy an external microphone and find a way to mount it.

Also, I posted a video of my Digisight's "blackout" problem a few months ago. It was quickly replaced under warranty without question. The replacement does not appear to have that problem though I haven't formally tested it yet. Once the leaves on the trees in the original video grow back I will reproduce the test as faithfully as possible to make it an apples-to-apples comparison.

Overall, I'm satisfied enough with the Digisight and Pulsar's customer support that I ordered a Pulsar Recon X550 (basically a monocular version of the Digisight).

Last, but not least, there is a new Digisight with 4.5-7.5X zoom:

http://www.pulsar-nv.com/product.aspx?prid=53&am=1&asm=49</div></div>

You weren't kidding about these being hard to find, anyone have a lead on these being currently available at less than 125???

Thanks,

BB

Does anyone know if the warranty is transferable to a second owner? Heard it may not but cant locate anything to confirm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hi Benny , sure is good to see you still at it , keep up the good work

Geo </div></div>

laugh.gif
Yep still here, trying to wring out as much efficiency in the process.

I am looking to do another update soon with some more tips and videos on the N550.

Also in the future I want to see what the N750 is all about.

Here is this weeks test subjects...

Bexar County TX hog hunt 1-11-13

BB

<span style="font-weight: bold">Final Update: 1-15-2013</span>

I have been using the scope for over a year and have the following to offer as tips/advice.

<span style="font-weight: bold">BASIC FUNCTION:</span>

The scope is at it's best on 6.5 caliber and lower with regards to recoil and display image performance. I noticed with all calibers that the screen flickers/blinks momentarily after each recoil impulse. This is normal and to be expected afterall it is an electronic device. If you are attemping followup shots then go with a lighter kicking gun.

I think the scope does really well for stationary hunting 200 yards and closer. Because of how it is designed you have to adjust the brightness and focus (manually) often in order to generate the best image for precision shooting. There were many times when I hunted the stand the previous evening (100 - 200 yards) and the next day called for a quick point and shoot opportunity and the scope was out of focus for the closer distance. I doubt that an auto focus could be accomplished but it sure would be nice with the development of SMART technology....

I couldn't ever solve the image doubler, i do think it is worth the effort but from what I understand through experience you have to keep the doubler in place at all times due to point of impact shift and for me there are times when I prefer the 4.5x mag and FOV so I didn't press further with my attempt to make it work.

The scope seems to maintain zero very well and is picky about batteries. One of my favorite features is the offset reticle colors (white and black) and the one shot zero, although zeroing at distances beyond 50 yards in daylight is difficult (see below).

Overall I think the scope is the best bang for the buck dedicated rifle scope product at the current price point.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
TIPS/TRICKS:
</span>

I tried a number of different methods to devise a target that would consistently provide a visible target at 100 yards or further. I tried all sorts of paints and tapes in different colors and dimensions but ultimately found that the VGA black/white display is the limiting factor in conjunction with an abundance of sunlight. So then I turned to LED lights as targets, the point is not to shoot the light but to utilize it as a consistent aiming point in order to zero to your needs. For me I want my bullets impacting 2-3 inches high (above) the bulb at 100 yards. I haven't come up with a 100% surefire solution in terms of bulb color and intensity, it is a work in process but each time I go out with my LED targets I learn more and get some interesting looks at the range...
laugh.gif

Photos below and part numbers, cost is less than 10 bucks per light to build it yourself.

DSC05108_zps341b40a0.jpg

DSC05111_zps2ee2ff6f.jpg

DSC05113_zps16f9f7bc.jpg

DSC05112_zps8834c263.jpg

DSC05114_zps210eaff2.jpg

Video link to shooting at an LED bulb from 200 yards, I was able to group at 1 1/2.

200 yard zeroing with LED bulb

As for recording your hunts, I have used pretty much all of the available devices, your best option is a mini DVR with a self contained battery. The Angel Eye KS-650M would be my recommendation although the unique audio/video cable is a PITA. The connections are chinese quality and I was dropping video signal after recoil based on poor fitament between the RCA connections. The fix for me was using hot glue on the RCA connection to the scope in order to create a rigid/solid connection. Since doing this I haven't had a single video drop out and the best part is if you need to remove the cable you just heat up the glue and remove it without damage to the scope. I went ahead and clipped the cable and added quick connect/dis-connect connections so that when I hunt without recording I don't have a cable swinging around connected to the scope.

Lastly, although the scope has a built in illuminator it isn't going to do much for you beyond 30 yards. I would recommend any weapons mountable IR illuminator over the onboard model. Just recently I tried out the TNVC Torch Pro and I was impressed with the results from 100 yards and in. I need to do more testing at longer distance to see if it can rival the Bosch AEGIS LED illuminators that I use from the stand.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I intend to continue my field use of the digital riflescope, for me and my budget it offers more advantages than disadvantages.

I may even give the next evolution of the Pulsar Digisight a go which has a few enhancements. If I can I will post a side by side comparison of the two models to assist others in judging which model is best suited for their needs.

Until then, Happy Hunting!
cool.gif

BB

Bennybone,

Thank you for the above post!!

I just tormented myself trying to zero the N550 on my .300 BLK AR-15 in advance of a hog hunt in Victoria, TX. In the bright Nevada sunlight, the image of my blaze orange sight-in targets was bleached out (I wish the N550 had a daylight mode.

I dug through the range dumpster and found a cardboard box and placed a black 6" bullseye target in the bottom in order to be able to even see it. The LED lights are something I will have to try next time.

mbogo