• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar Trail QX50

Kwilm

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm ready to go ahead and bite the bullet on a new thermal. I've have shot with the Pulsar Apex XD50A as well as the Armasight Zeus 640. Obviously the Zeus outperformed the apex in just about every aspect but that's not really a fair comparison. I've also spent a litttle time with a buddies Reap-IR and man is that thing killer but I can't justify spending that kind of money.

Id like to be in the $3,500-4K range but I won't let a couple hundred stop me for a lot more quality. My dealer can get me the new Trail Qx50 for a great deal. I really like the onboard recording and rangefinding capability that it offers. I don't really have an opinion on the battery pack. I like not having to buy batteries but it would be more convenient to not have to always worry about a charged battery too.

The rangefinding capability is more important to me over the recording bc I can add external recording to almost any unit that I've seen.

Is is there something else out there that I need to consider before buying the QX50?

Last edited:
It is the XQ50 that you are referring to. The Trail XQ series are 384 core versus the 640 core XP series. Depending on what your intended target is going to be, the XQ38 may be a better fit as it has a wider field of view than the XQ50. You give up a little in base magnification (2.1x vs 2,7x) with the XQ38, otherwise they are the same. If you are going to be hunting something like pigs and the sounder runs at the first shot, the XQ38 will be easier for follow up shots on the pigs. The other advantage is that the XQ38 is around $500 cheaper than the 50. The XQ38 can be had for around $3200. 3300 for the XQ50 is a very good price, your dealer is giving you a great deal.

Last edited:
started this account because i'm trying to get more info on thermal and this is one of the first posts i saw so this is great... do you have to know someone to get pricing like that or is there a dealer i can call to get the hook up??!!

Thanks for the great info. My dealer was nice enough to let me borrow the XQ50 for a few days. I've actually still got it. Going to sight it in tonight. The battery was almost dead so I only got to play with it for a few minutes before it died.

Overall, my first impressions are great. The resolution is nice and I like the manual focus. The range finder is easy to use as well as all the other features that I got to. I mounted it to my proof barreled 16" AR. The unit is not very heavy for me and pretty easy to shoulder and stay steady even with a Mack bros can on it. The one thing I wish it did have was a red reticle option. It only has black and white. It just shows up better for my eyes. With that being said it is still looking like the unit for me so far. The extra field of view you mentioned is more important to me than the extra resolution. Anyway, thanks for you input. It is appreciated.

It is the XQ50 that you are referring to. The Trail XQ series are 384 core versus the 640 core XP series. Depending on what your intended target is going to be, the XQ38 may be a better fit as it has a wider field of view than the XQ50. You give up a little in base magnification (2.1x vs 2,7x) with the XQ38, otherwise they are the same. If you are going to be hunting something like pigs and the sounder runs at the first shot, the XQ38 will be easier for follow up shots on the pigs. The other advantage is that the XP38 is around $500 cheaper than the 50. The XP38 can be had for around $3200. 3300 for the XQ50 is a very good price, your dealer is giving you a great deal.

Last edited:
Most of the online vendors will quote you lower than msrp prices if you contact them and ask for a price. Usually they are pretty close to one another price wise.

Just got my XQ38 mounted yesterday and it's outstanding. The picture below doesn't due it justice, image through imager is easily 2x clearer. Tire swing is 50yds away.
35176138634_d694fcf83a_b.jpg

Research deep my friend. Quality is long remembered after the price has been forgotten. Take your time the buyer always has the advantage.
CBDR

... The rangefinding capability is more important ..

Are you sure?

For hogs I'm using Barnes TSX 62gr, Black Hills load. Out of my 5.56(10.3) from 50 to 250 yards I am within 2 inches verticle of the point of aim. I've taken exactly one hunting shot beyond that distance and several hundred inside that distance. Are you really going to be shooting at critters beyond 250yds at night a lot? Do you need a range finder if your bullet with strike within 2 inches verticle of your point of aim?

I do range with the reticle some. And I range with handheld LRF in unfamiliar ground, but before the critters show up, not during.

And the XQ50 LRF is an Apex unit with the LRF slung on the side (and integrated), it is NOT a Trail.

apex_lrf_6.jpg

http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/t...gefinder/thermal-imaging-sight-apex-lrf-xq50/

There is an Apex 75mm LRF version available overseas, so if you want to wait, maybe that will be available in USA one day.

It is the XQ50 that you are referring to. The Trail XQ series are 384 core versus the 640 core XP series. Depending on what your intended target is going to be, the XQ38 may be a better fit as it has a wider field of view than the XQ50. You give up a little in base magnification (2.1x vs 2,7x) with the XQ38, otherwise they are the same. If you are going to be hunting something like pigs and the sounder runs at the first shot, the XQ38 will be easier for follow up shots on the pigs. The other advantage is that the XP38 is around $500 cheaper than the 50. The XP38 can be had for around $3200. 3300 for the XQ50 is a very good price, your dealer is giving you a great deal.

Could you PM me where I can get the XP38 for $3200?? I would be in for 10 lol

Are you sure?

For hogs I'm using Barnes TSX 62gr, Black Hills load. Out of my 5.56(10.3) from 50 to 250 yards I am within 2 inches verticle of the point of aim. I've taken exactly one hunting shot beyond that distance and several hundred inside that distance. Are you really going to be shooting at critters beyond 250yds at night a lot? Do you need a range finder if your bullet with strike within 2 inches verticle of your point of aim?

I do range with the reticle some. And I range with handheld LRF in unfamiliar ground, but before the critters show up, not during.

And the XQ50 LRF is an Apex unit with the LRF slung on the side (and integrated), it is NOT a Trail.

There is an Apex 75mm LRF version available overseas, so if you want to wait, maybe that will be available in USA one day.
-

hey Joe this maybe a dumb quetion but ..
How is this integrated LRF slaved to the Therm. Unit of XQ50 ? . How do you adjust witness the of LRF's IR pulse, to exact POA of Therm. scope Reticle zero ?
Is the LRF and inboard Reticle image slaved automatic . So when you move the Reticle image of aim adjustment to you zero/POI . The LRF's IR POA just Auto follows your Ret. zero ?

Not a dumb question - for long range work, zeroing the LRF at a meaningful distance - like say 800yds - would seem to be indicated ... but with this pulsar Apex/LRF the LRF is not separately zero-able. It is slaved to the thermal zero. You can download the manual from the product page and read about it.

http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/th...apex-lrf-xq50/

Last edited:
Will take a look at that pdf .
since Therm sight cant see LRF's IR pulse . Is a big plus in the corner for for NV weapons sight . The ( your visual ability to see ) and easy adjustment of IR of LRF's and Laser for exact witness to you Reticle POI .

There are pro and con on both sides ... a target "in the open" can easily been seen by good NV. But in the shadows ... in vegetation ... in partially concealing terrain, etc. The NV might see nothing and the thermal might see the target. But yes, zeroing an LRF with a thermal is an issue if you are going for distances like 500-800yds ...
For those sorts of distances a 10k+ thermal clipon in front of a quality day scope seems indicated. The dedicated thermal scopes are great for shooting under 300yds ... and I've never fired a night hunting shot beyond 300yds. No reason to on my land or the land of others upon which I have hunted. Not saying there is never such a reason, but just saying not in the environments in which I have hunted.

Hogshooter you said.
"Depending on what your intended target is going to be, the XQ38 may be a better fit as it has a wider field of view than the XQ50. You give up a little in base magnification (2.1x vs 2,7x) with the XQ38, otherwise they are the same."

Im debating between The Trail XQ38 & XQ50 myself. You say the magnification is the only difference? On Pulsar website the state the XQ38 has a detection range of 1350 metersvs 1800 on the XQ50? Is that correct?

The lens size is 50 mm vs 38 on the XQ38, A little more magnification but losing some field of view is the trade off, The XQ series has a 384 thermal core and the XP series has a 640 core which gives you more target definition. All menus, reticle options and features are identical in the entire line. I have an XQ38 and am very pleased with it. You can go to Pulsars web page and download the user manual for the Trail series and there is a side by side chart showing the specs of all the Trail models.