• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Purchase advice please

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Hello all. I am expanding my collection of firearms. Given the current political environment, I want to focus on semi-auto platforms for now. My current holdings are:

GAP 10 20" in 308
PWS MK114 with SSA
DD MK4 V7 16" with SSA
DD 10.3" 300 Blackout upper I just ordered but will have to run on a pistol lower until I get a stamp for SBR. Have a G2S waiting in the safe for it.

I would rank my priorities in the following order:
1. Reliability
2. Accuracy (really a tie with #1)
3. Serviceability
4. Price

My purpose for these rifles shooting for fun, perhaps a tactical course here and there, getting my wife and daughters into the shooting sports, and defending my property and family in the event of some cataclysm.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

You're missing a JP (or two). Pick a caliber and place an order.

Looks like you already have it covered! Maybe get a 6920 for a truck, beater loaner gun.

You have a nice collection of high end rifles, and I respect and share your concerns for the future. My thoughrs are these: I would make sure you have plenty of ammo and spare parts for your current holdings along with some reference material for teardown, maintenance, and repair for them .Even if you know your shit, your loved ones probably don't and you might not always be around/available. Cabelas has some small cheap manuals with lots of photos for AR's and many other common firearms. I would add an AK and a 12 gauge to your collection. Both are ubiquitous, reliable, and relatively inexpensive. At the height of the Sandy Hook hysteria there was always 12 gauge ammo on the shelves (as well as 30-06 strangely enough). This would give you some versatility, variety, and an opportunity to learn some new weapon systems. My goal is to be able to operate and maintain any of the most common small arms I might encounter. I would spend time with loved ones familiarizing them with basic operation and maintenance of whatever you have. A 1022 or 22 cal AR would be great to train your children inexpensively. Also, you can carry a couple bricks of 22 ammo on your person. Try that with centerfire ammo. A 6920 truck gun is a great idea. An inexpensive bolt action 30-06 wouldn't hurt. Maybe a ruger american. I dig semi's too, but the minimal upkeep and reliability of a value priced bolt gun would make it money well spent. And like I said, the ammo is everywhere.

Last edited:
Does JP use many proprietary parts?

Great question. So from what I know, it really depends on the model. I know a few of the models are side-chargers so those particular parts are proprietary. The JP-15 I just received does not appear to have any proprietary parts to it, standard charging upper. They are just extremely accurate and super soft shooting rifles. It's difficult to not recommend them, even though I love the shit out of my PWS rifle too!

You're missing a Grendel. Your ladies will love the light recoil, while still being to stretch it out and deliver a substantial blow.

JP doesn't really require any proprietary parts. Even the side charger PSC line will still operate as normal using a standard carrier. You just lose the advantage of the side charging mechanism if you decide to go that route.

Depending on what you specifically think would add value to your current collection, there are a number of options that would make sense. If it's light recoil, and you are comparing that recoil impulse with a .223 I would definitely not suggest a 6.5G. Maybe something like a .204 Ruger or 5.45. If something that can be used in more of a general small to medium game hunting rig, long(er) range marksmanship type of training tool with advantageous external ballistic properties, in a lighter weight platform than .308, then the 6.5 Grendel is probably what you want. If it's a short range truck gun/home defense round - and considering you already have a 300 BLK - then I'd take a look at a .458 SOCOM. Some of those, like the 458 for example, would really only make sense of you reload and recoil isn'ta huge detriment in the context of your uses.

The only thing I would strongly disagree with that has been mentioned thus far is investing in an AR platform rifle chambered in .22lr. I'm a huge proponent of training with what you shoot in any normal, everyday scenario. I've got a father in law that insists on saving $70 a month and shoots .22lr 75% of the time he trains and he absolutely sucks massive dick when he shoots anything else. The recoil impulse, trajectory differences etc. make it seem like its the first time he's ever shot the 5.56 he's had for 8 years. If you want to keep similar ergonomics and feel its beneficial to shoot a lower power load with your wife and kids, then I'd just load some subsonic .223 and practice the fundamentals of manipulating a rifle with that and progressively move up. A 22lr won't even give you a common set of parts that make up a gun. Very few benefits - if any - of putting money into something like that if you ask me.

My kids learn it all before they earn the privilege to merely attempt to put what they've earned into real life shooting. If they want to use a suppressor then they disassemble it, clean it, and put it back together. They clean their own brass, they detail strip their rigs and everything must function when it's put back together. If it isn't, then they get another opportunity at some other point in time after they earn it again. It facilitates an extremely detailed understanding of what they are handling and highlights the significance of the privelage they've earned. Anyway, a bit of a tangent there, but I wouldn't have my 6 or 8 yr old shoot anything less than a .223 just to ensure they are acclimated to a minimum level of recoil that will, in the least, always be present regardless.

This one is the motivated one that naturally gets pissed when someone says she can't do something. "Disassemble, clean and re-assemble 5 cans, 3 rifles and a pistol? Gee Dad, I thought this shit was gonna be a challenge." 3 hours later.....the 6 year old churns out perfection.
3468598B-73FB-43BD-B2DB-81C03B9F6C46.jpg

I'd add a 6mm or 6.5mm upper for the GAP-10 and suppressors. What optics are you running? Accurate and reliable rifles are shit without proper sighting devices.

Love my HK 556 A1. Can't get much more reliable and accurate with light recoil! Might be interested in selling mine, if you're looking for one. Stock rifle purchased new about 3 years ago with ACOG 4X with red chevron and Harris bipod. Into bolt action rifles hardcore for the last 2years :)

+1 for a Ruger 10/22. It is good to have for a long list of reasons, and you can even hand it to your daughter in a doomsday scenario! : )