• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Purchasing a GAP rifle soon. Thoughts?

Average_Joe

101st ABN, Combat Vet.
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2017
First post,

I have been eyeing GAP for 2 years now. I finally pulled the trigger and reached out to them about a rifle. They have yet to contact me (2 days now), but I heard they typically do within a week.

I am pretty set on the FBI HRT .308. There's why...

1. I will most likely only be shooting 100-300 yards
2. It's medium weight (11.5lbs), so less recoil I assume
3. Federal Gold 168gr seems to be fairly cheap these days ($850 for 1000)
4. Going to use a Surefire suppressor and it comes with the brake installed
5. Want the adjustable stock (A3-5)
6. Rifle seems to be maneuverable enough, so I can run and gun, when the zombies arrive
7. On a serious note about zombies, if the world does go to poop, 308 is in abundance and I could find it anywhere

My friend has a GAP Hospitaller in 260 Rem and I was getting 1/4 groups at 100 yards easy. I am not a precision shooter either. His setup is super big and heavy though and 260 is difficult to find at local stores. I think he said 16lbs with his B25 optic and $1.50 a round.

So, my question is, would this rifle be a good choice for a newer guy, or should I get a different GAP setup? Do I really need to spend $4600 on a rifle, when I can get a RPR w/great glass for the price, no. However, cry once right and this is an impulse buy ;-)

You can’t go wrong with GAP if that’s what you want. My first precision rifle was a GAP. I really like having modular setups now, meaning I swap cartridges like a hot slut swaps penai. If you are like me and know you have an addictive personality, I’d look at an AI AT or a Bighorn TL3 setup. That way when you have built your wind calling skills you can buy a flatter and faster cartridge without sending you gun off for over a month. But just to restate, there’s nothing wrong with GAP!

Big horm TL3 $1300
manners PRS decked out. $1500
Timney CE or Jewell. $225
gen 2 LB brake. $160
bartlein from PVA $750

Extra money for Ammo or barrels and not having to wait on a smith $?
The Manners would have a bit of a wait.......

$4050 for an AT at MSRP

Just my $.02

Reactions: deersniper
First post,

I have been eyeing GAP for 2 years now. I finally pulled the trigger and reached out to them about a rifle. They have yet to contact me (2 days now), but I heard they typically do within a week.

I am pretty set on the FBI HRT .308. There's why...

1. I will most likely only be shooting 100-300 yards
2. It's medium weight (11.5lbs), so less recoil I assume
3. Federal Gold 168gr seems to be fairly cheap these days ($850 for 1000)
4. Going to use a Surefire suppressor and it comes with the brake installed
5. Want the adjustable stock (A3-5)
6. Rifle seems to be maneuverable enough, so I can run and gun, when the zombies arrive
7. On a serious note about zombies, if the world does go to poop, 308 is in abundance and I could find it anywhere

My friend has a GAP Hospitaller in 260 Rem and I was getting 1/4 groups at 100 yards easy. I am not a precision shooter either. His setup is super big and heavy though and 260 is difficult to find at local stores. I think he said 16lbs with his B25 optic and $1.50 a round.

So, my question is, would this rifle be a good choice for a newer guy, or should I get a different GAP setup? Do I really need to spend $4600 on a rifle, when I can get a RPR w/great glass for the price, no. However, cry once right and this is an impulse buy ;-)

Might want to look at their Gladius too.

Reactions: Tylermtech
I consider the Gladius (and rifles like it) 600 yd guns.

If you are truely passionate about shooting you will be the happiest person in the world once you see just how amazing GAPs really are. I’ve owned 3 now. A .308, 6 creedmor and 6.5 creedmor. All were Crusaders.
Heres a group from my 6.5 creedmor

Attachments

• photo75772.jpg
    photo75772.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 164
I have an addictive personality, so after buying my first GAP and actually shooting it, I turned right around and ordered another and another and so or. I averaged about 2 a year for the last few years then I slowed down to one because I ran out of options in calibers ,stock and actions that o have interest in. All are awesome shooters and consistent in every way including build. In fact, I will be sending in a few actions on Monday for builds.

Get what you want. As long as it's a GAP, you are getting the best magazine fed rifle you can buy. That goes for bolt or gasser. My ar10 they worked over for me shoots like a bolt gun.

Just my opinion.

I dont know about the wasting your money comment. I have many precision rifles and my GAP crusader .308 is an absolute wand of death. By far my favorite.

GA is a great builder. Might consider a .260 or 6.5 for improved ballistics. I had them true, rebarrel, bed, etc my milspec5r and went .308 again and couldn’t be happier.

Don't waste you money on GAP. Don't waste your time on 308 either.

Did YOU waste your money on a GA Precision rifle? Yes? Then tell us about it. No? Then where's your credibility?

Your other comment doesn't even merit a reply, it's that dumb. Yes we all know (and many of us have or have had) of "better" calibers. We still have 308s.

Reactions: BoldCorrections
I don't think that's its a waste of money. GA Precision rifles do cost more then many other alternatives, but they are also worth more if you ever do sell them.

I have a gap hunting rifle and am completely satisfied with it. Another smith could have spun it up and I would have been just as happy, but GAP is a known quantity and I knew exactly what I was getting. I do enjoy shooting my short action axmc more and it is just as accurate or a tiny bit more with factory ammo. But both are way more accurate then I can consistently shoot. I know weight is a concern, but I'm trying to talk myself into a proof barrel for it which might get it into the 11lb range.

I have a few 308's left and a couple of CM's. I am perfectly happy shooting either, but I prefer the 6.5 a little more since it has just a little less recoil and the barrel shoots lights out.

I've had a GAP Crusader in 308, along with several other high end "custom" guns from other top shelf makers. The GAP was absolutely the most accurate gun I've ever owned. It would shoot virtually any load, any bullet weight, any powder charge. It was not only accurate, but very forgiving. You really had to put some effort into shooting it badly. I sold it, but not because it was a fantastic gun. Crap, I've sold a lot of guns I wish I still had, and that is one of them. Such is life. You cannot go wrong ordering a GAP. 308 is still a great round. Yes, there are others that will outrun the 308, especially at long range, but for the ranges you listed, just get the 308. If you can't hit whatever you are aiming at inside 600 yards with a 308, then another caliber probably isn't going to help you. Even though I have a 6.5 CM, and magnums for really long range, I still enjoy shooting my 308 as much, if not more than anything else. It's just fun to shoot, and very effective within a given range. You will not regret the GAP in 308. If you do, you can sell it and not be out much $$.

As a side note, I'm going to have a Win 70 re-barreled next year ( as soon as Chad opens up his Win 70 Accurizing group buy ). The gun has sentimental value, and I want to turn it into something that I will use and enjoy. Guess what caliber it will be???? 308! That's right, good old 308.

Last edited:
Just remember that your 11.5 pound rifle will easily become a 16+ pound rifle by the time you get everything on it.

I’ve got a gladius on order right now. Hopefully have it in March. I did a few mods to it. I opted for a 16” threaded barrel instead of the surefire break. The barreled action will be OD green and I upgraded to the Templar V2 action. Trying to decide on glass now. I’m gonna hold off until after SHOT show this year to see what’s new

Just remember that your 11.5 pound rifle will easily become a 16+ pound rifle by the time you get everything on it.

This is an often under-appreciated reality. Not really a concern for a PRS match rifle or a range toy, perhaps less fun to carry around at an event like the Vortex Extreme Match, even less fun to carry around on a sheep or goat hunt when only one shot is necessary...

https://youtu.be/NcaCADqjxSo

I carried my comp rifle deer hunting once lol. Not bad for the first hour or so but then you really start to notice the weight. I would get a biathlon sling if I were going to carry it much.

sure you're only doing 100-300 now, but with a super accurate rifle you will prob want to start going longer (trying precision rifle matches). a 6.5 creed and 24-26" barrel will make it easier to reach out further.

sure you're only doing 100-300 now, but with a super accurate rifle you will prob want to start going longer (trying precision rifle matches). a 6.5 creed and 24-26" barrel will make it easier to reach out further.

Maybe, maybe not. In my state there are two PRS matches a year and the closest is 2.5 hrs away. Any other PRS match is 3.5+ hrs away.

A 308 for informal steel plates (which are all 2+ hrs away) from 300 to 1000 will do just fine.

On the other hand I have several clay shooting facilities inside of an hour and up to a dozen within 2 hrs. Some of which are world class.

If your thinking 100-300 yards, I'd look a the Ruger RPR in 223/556. You can sell and recoup your $ when your needs change along with your skill increasing, because its only .30-.40 cents per shot. Why spend all the money on a precision rifle if you don't intend to shoot small groups or long distance? Spend your money on nice glass/spuhr that you can roll over to the next rifle?

If you want it, just to want it, just buy and don't listen to anyone! None of this hobby is logical or the reasons we come up with to justify to ourselves, the purchases we make.

I love it when someone says its an INVESTMENT......?????....

Guns never go up, just down.

And here come the people that say they make money on guns

I would say that in general GAP makes very good rifles. I DO NOT like the Tempest action, but that doesn't make it bad. The Templar is a great action though. If it were me I would probably be going a different route, but your decision of going with GAP is not a bad one.

I have owned three GAPs and still have two of them. One was just finished last year. And in 308!!! You will get your money out of it that is for sure. I can't explain it but I just love my GAPs. My crusader is my favorite with a custom build I did right behind it. With all that being said you have to find what is right for you. . . see my signature :D

My first GAP was the Gladius and I highly recommend it! I still have that rifle today, although it now carries a 24” 6.5 creedmoor bartlein. Either way, it’s a fantastic setup. You know you’re getting something that is completely true from that team. I ran some 178 superformance (factory) ammo and easily took it to 1,050 yards with that 18.5” barrel.

Also, since you’re planning on 308, it shares the same bolt face with a ton of other awesome cartridges (6.5 creed, 260 rem, 6 creed, 243, etc.) so when your shoot out your 308 barrel and want something with superior BC’s, you can have them rebarrel to something else for you.

Do you need GAP to shoot 1/4’s... no. But with any rifle, most of it is on you the shooter. GAP just take the rifle out of the equation :)

Keep in in mind though... the Gladius is sneakily heavy...

Gap built me a 223 ai on a templar action with a5 stock and rock creek barrel about 9 years ago.I still have it and like it a lot.They were easy to deal with,they were honest about the build time and i was very happy with the transaction.

Gap built me a 223 ai on a templar action with a5 stock and rock creek barrel about 9 years ago.I still have it and like it a lot.They were easy to deal with,they were honest about the build time and i was very happy with the transaction.

You know, a lot of people scoff at the idea of a $4000 .223 bolt gun but I really like it. It would probably be the gun you shot the most, why not have a nice one?

Gap is a top tier builder with excellent service. You will never hear of a issue that they don't take of immediately. And they do make shooters.
That being said for 4000 buy a AI. I went the custom route more times than I should have until I drank the coolaid. If wight is a issue then gap or another custom is the way to go but if you aren't humping it in the field with a 40 pound hunting ruck then who cares.
If you noticed everyone who buys a custom trades them like baseball cards, most who buy a AI keep them. That tells you something.

First of all, I am positive that GAP rifles are worth every dime. But.....

Would I spend that kind of money and wait that long for my very first precision rifle? Hell to the no. There is a reason they are so busy they can’t return a phone call. But still, too many guys out there that will build a rifle that is JUST as accurate and still slow down to visit with the lil guy who has a few questions. Go scoop up a Tikka CTR and a case of ammo man. You don’t need a GAP to do what you’re trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
GAP builds some damn fine rifles, as many others do.
If they have it in stock, by all means, buy it.
Otherwise, get in line and wait. This is not a bad thing, but you won't be shooting your rifle.

When I first joined this site back in 2009, everyone was talking about their .308.
Of course, it was common knowledge that other cartridges were superior in terms of exterior ballistics, but it was by far the most common cartridge that tactical rifles were chambered in.
Now, many of those folks say it is a waste of time. Bullshit.
It is still a fine cartridge. If your shots are within 600 yards, you will remain competitive.

OP, your reasoning is sound. FGMM can be sourced for a decent price, but you will end up reloading at some point.
The .308 is blessed with long barrel life.
There are factory options available to get you shooting now.
They do not have the fit and finish, nor pride of ownership of having a really nice custom rifle.
However, they can act as a starting point and ultimately be customized by a quality gunsmith in either the same cartridge or a better performing one.
I recommend you give the Howa Chassis Rifle a look, as well as the Ruger Precision rifle and the Tikka (check out the sporter).
Both the Howa and Tikka are conventional rifles, the Ruger is a modular rifle that can be user upgraded.
Stick with the .308 for now, nothing wrong with it.

GAP is a great option, no doubt, but there are others in that same realm to consider, Surgeon, Short Action Customs, and Gradous just to name a few. I would look to see what they have built in-stock and ready to ship before committing to the wait, but that's just me.

I want to thank everyone that responded. Much appreciated. Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum. I have placed my order for the HRT in .308. I opted for multicam dip on the stock and an atlas rail. Now the 6 month wait begins. I will post pics once it’s received!

might as well start saving money.
Once you start down this rabbit hole, you'll find more shit to spend your money on.
Congrats and welcome to the longest 6-7 months in your life.
Have you decided on glass?

If you want a GAP then buy it. I have had 2 and they are great. I would buy a 308. It's your first custom and since you been eyeing it for 2 years I would guess like most of us you don't have money to throw around on customs when ever you feel like it. 308 will last thousands of rounds longer then something in 6.5 or 6mm. After owning a bunch of customs I wish they had switch barrel AI when I started down this long expensive road. Once you start adding up scopes for all your rifles you realize how a switch barrel saves money. But its nice to grab different types of rifles out the safe.

Anyway, enjoy what ever you buy. Please post some pics when you get your new rig.

I’ve got a gladius on order right now. Hopefully have it in March. I did a few mods to it. I opted for a 16” threaded barrel instead of the surefire break. The barreled action will be OD green and I upgraded to the Templar V2 action. Trying to decide on glass now. I’m gonna hold off until after SHOT show this year to see what’s new

I am going to be fluting your barrel in the next week or two. It is setting on my cart right now but along with a bunch of others and I am not sure where yours is in the line. I just remembered it due to the 16" barrel and looking over the work order today.

I am going to be fluting your barrel in the next week or two. It is setting on my cart right now but along with a bunch of others and I am not sure where yours is in the line. I just remembered it due to the 16" barrel and looking over the work order today.

Damn that was quick. Sprinkle a little extra of that magical GAP fairy dust on it!

Why is that? I wrestling with a Tempest vs an AI

i am Interested in your take on the tempest

Im the wrong person to ask about the Tempest. I don’t know much about it other than it’s an AI style action

Well, I received my GAP FBI HRT rifle today. It only took 5 months to arrive, not 6 as quoted.

Wow, this rifle is ridiculous. The pictures on GAPs website do not do any justice to the craftsmanship that goes into these rifles.

Honestly, for 5 months I wondered if I made the correct purchase. I was unsure about the barrel length, stock, multicam and caliber choice. When I got it in my hands, those thoughts subsided. This thing is amazing.

Going to mount a NF Atacr F1 on it. Unsure what reticle I want tho. I will spend most of my range time under 500 yards. I know I want a Mil, Mil scope. Any favorite NF reticles?

I will report back with a range report. Might be 6 months before I do. I’m moving and starting a new jig. ?

Attachments

• C24F6C17-236E-4D2D-9B6F-B03C7CBCAE89.jpeg
    C24F6C17-236E-4D2D-9B6F-B03C7CBCAE89.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 7D20C3A2-B873-4D3C-BBFE-4A071A39A09F.jpeg
    7D20C3A2-B873-4D3C-BBFE-4A071A39A09F.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 244135BD-F979-4693-9DB6-BF341FFE240F.jpeg
    244135BD-F979-4693-9DB6-BF341FFE240F.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 20E054D3-4480-4ACD-B509-C79DBACF0387.jpeg
    20E054D3-4480-4ACD-B509-C79DBACF0387.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 261
Nice rifle. Hope you can wait 6 mo before taking it out!! BTW, I have a 3-15 SFP model NF scope with a mil-dot reticle and it works great.

I think the HRT will be my next buy from GAP........don't F around with a 2nd FP scope.......top end stick, top end scope........just my thoughts.........

HRT builds always look great in my book. Now Joe can spend the next six months shopping for something for that EFR rail. A 24 hour gun is a nice thing to have.

I have a Savage based custom, blueprinted 17 years ago by a very good local gunsmith, with a factory bedded McM A3 stock and a L-W 28" stainless .260 barrel. I like it a lot; enough so that I've never really felt a need for something better.

...And there are indeed, many, many better rifles. I consider GAP to be top tier, and will be envying you when you get yours, whatever it turns out to be.

Good on ya...

Greg

don't F around with a 2nd FP scope.......top end stick, top end scope........just my thoughts.........

It's a narrow minded view to consider a SFP scope 2nd tier. FFP and SFP are both valuable tools.

GAP is a great option, no doubt, but there are others in that same realm to consider, Surgeon, Short Action Customs, and Gradous just to name a few. I would look to see what they have built in-stock and ready to ship before committing to the wait, but that's just me.
+1
Or get an AI. I have a couple Gaps but my AI and DT get shot more

For 1-300 it would be a 223. No brainer