• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Put together my first precision rifle: Remington 700 5R

DBoz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
From the time that I first saw one, I've wanted a GAP Crusader, but I've never been able to justify the cost over how much I would shoot it, being as though I've never really done much long range shooting and my access to long ranges was limited. Well, now I live close to a range that has a public 300 yard range as well as 1000 yard range that can be used when shooting with the local club (NorCal Practical Precision Rifle Club). So, with the tax return coinciding time-wise with the NCPPRC putting on their annual Long Range Clinic, I decided it was time to take the plunge and after doing a lot of reading here, I finally put together my first precision rifle.

I decided not to go with a full custom for my first rifle for several reasons. First, I didn't think my skills would justify the cost, second, I had a time table in order to be able to get the rifle and shoot it before the Long Range Clinic (April 12th) and finally, I figured it would be a good learning experience to start with a factory rifle. So, here's what I ended up with:

Remington 700 5R .308 Win. 20" threaded 5/8-25
Manners T2A with mini-chassis and DBM
Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS F1 MLR 2.0 Mil/Mil
Seekins Precision 20 MOA 1 piece base
Nightforce Ultralight medium rings
R&D MRAD Brake
Timney 510 trigger
TIS Slip Cuff Sling
BT17 Rail
Harris 6-9 notched swivel bipod w/KMW Pod Loc
Larue LT130 bipod adapter
Triad Large Modular Stock Pack
KRG Bolt Lift
AADMount flip up scope covers

IMG_1650_zps6883ebdf.jpg

IMG_1659_zps102cc0ca.jpg

I had originally planned to use the HS Precision stock that came with the 5R, but I didn't like the way the double palm swell fit my hand. So, I picked up the Manners T2A from CS Tactical and couldn't be happier. I had planned on getting a DBM anyway, so this killed two birds with one stone. Now, I know that some will say that a brake is unnecessary on a .308, but why put up with any recoil when you can have none? This thing is a pussy cat with the brake on. Reasons for other choices: I wanted to be able to quickly swap bipods, thus the rail and Larue adapter; I went with the KRG Bolt Lift simply because I didn't have time to send the rifle to have a permanent large bolt handle put on (I will be doing this in the future, though); AADMount scope covers are spendy but worth it, the fact that they open flat alone is worth it to me (the lifetime warranty and toughness are icing on the cake).

So, here's the first range report. First, I should say that I am not a reloader and have no plans at this time to become one. Perhaps in the future, but not right now. On the first trip, I shot two types of ammo: Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. (couldn't find any 175) and Lake City M118LR and all shooting was done at 100 yards, off the bench with the bipod and rear bag. The rifle really seemed to like the FGMM. All my groups were similar to the one below.
FGMM168_zps3deeada8.jpg

It did not seem to like the M118LR. Don't know why, but I couldn't get it to group. I expected the shift in POI, but every group I shot strung out vertically like the one below.
M118LR_zps3fe226b8.jpg

So far, I like everything about the rifle. It is capable of shooting better than me, so I can grow into it. I took it to an intro precision rifle class last weekend and it performed admirably. I am still learning how to use the rear bag and to build a consistent shooting position. I improved greatly just over the two days of the class. I did have to take the rear cap off my scope because of the way the entire ocular moves when adjusting magnification on the Nightforce. It would end up getting in the way of the bolt at the lowest magnifications. Not really a problem, just kind of annoying and something to deal with with these scopes.

I have since picked up some FGMM 175gr. and plan on seeing how the rifle likes that. I also plan on shooting more of the M118LR at longer ranges to see if it gets any better.

After I take the Long Range Clinic in a couple weeks, I plan to look into sending it off to have a permanent large bolt knob put on and the action and barrel cerakoted.

Nice!

What twist is the barrel?
You will probably find that the FGMM175 will outshoot the Lake City M118LR, which I assume is not the real deal but the seconds that LC puts out and is not known for its accuracy. Be sure to post here with the results once you try the FGMM175s.

I'm 1 for 3 on rifles that shoot M118LR well. Don't let that bother you.

I decided it was time to take the plunge and after doing a lot of reading here

Congratulations on the new gun.

You must have been a lurker for a while because those are some well liked and well chosen components.

As for the groups, those look on the better side of what most 5r's do with factory ammo so good for you again. As for the M118LR, well, being able to tune loads to a rifle is what reloading gets you. It's not really a big deal as you have a great shooting factory load in the FGGM 168's.

Nice!

What twist is the barrel?
You will probably find that the FGMM175 will outshoot the Lake City M118LR, which I assume is not the real deal but the seconds that LC puts out and is not known for its accuracy. Be sure to post here with the results once you try the FGMM175s.

Barrel twist is 1 in 11.25.

I will definitely be posting results of the other ammo when I can get to the range.

If you spent the money on a NF scope, it would be insane to try and rationalize not reloading! Three words for you my friend. RCBS. Rockchucker. Kit. :) Good first rifle, whats funny is aside from the 5r barrel that is nearly identical to my current .308, and as far as braking a .308 hey when you are shooting the 175/178's if your follow through is good I can see my own hits down to around 400 yards on steel and that is just another tool in the toolbox.

If you spent the money on a NF scope, it would be insane to try and rationalize not reloading! Three words for you my friend. RCBS. Rockchucker. Kit. :) Good first rifle, whats funny is aside from the 5r barrel that is nearly identical to my current .308, and as far as braking a .308 hey when you are shooting the 175/178's if your follow through is good I can see my own hits down to around 400 yards on steel and that is just another tool in the toolbox.

It's not really the money that has kept me from starting to reload. It's just not something that I feel I am ready to jump into at this time. One of the main reasons I chose .308 is because there are good factory loads available for it. I'm sure as I progess I will indeed begin reloading, though.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am very happy with this rifle.

I had a very productive day at the range yesterday. I managed to get some FGMM 175gr., so I went out to get the scope adjusted for this ammo at the 100 yard range. Here's a couple results:

First 3 shots after a cold bore shot. I then made some adjustments and fired the sighter.
FGMM_175_GRP_1_100_4_02_13_zpsf3dd8eeb.jpg

One of my groups after making adjustments. I wasn't 100% on my game as I was rushing a little to get done at 100 and move to the 300 yard range. I know the rifle will do better than this if I take my time.
FGMM_175_GRP_2_100_4_02_13_zps1a795e65.jpg

This was my first time shooting at 300 yards. I had a bit of a brain fart and was holding over way too high, so I completely missed the target with my first 5 shots, but with the help of a fellow Hide member, Weaselthis, who I met out there, I was able to get dialed in with the next 5 shots. I ended up dialing 1.3 Mil for elevation and then fired this group.
FGMM_175_GRP_1_300_4_02_13_zps4ddcb7f3.jpg

Weaselthis was kind enough to let me shot a group through his chronograph so I could get some velocity readings. The results were:

Min: 2501
Max: 2520
Avg: 2508
ES: 19
SD: 7

With this info I was able to create a trajectory chart out to 1000 yards using JBM Ballistics to use at the upcoming NCPPRC Long Range Clinic. Here's that group:
FGMM_175_GRP_2_300_4_02_13_zps76a4727b.jpg

Finally, I shot 10 rounds of M118LR to see if it performed any better at 300 than it did at 100. The answer: Nope. Still all over the place and one of the rounds was a dud. Oh well, I guess I have plenty of ammo to shoot in the M1A. I'll be sticking to the FGMM in the 700. I am going to try out some Black Hills 175 when I get a chance, though.
M118LR_GRP_1_300_4_02_13_zps6c58d199.jpg

Dud M118LR round
IMG_1736_zps4ff568e6.jpg

So, all in all a very good day at the range. But then again, is there really a bad day at the range? Provided, of course, that everyone leaves with the same number of holes they arrived with. Rick, if you are reading this, thanks again for the help and the use of the chrono.

Awesome First Rifle. My first Precision rifle was also a 5R Mil Spec 20" Threaded just like yours I even had it in Manner T4A Mini Chassis too. Then I sold it in order to purchase my dream rifle which is a TRG22. But for some reason I could never forget my 5R. I regret selling it even though it was for a good reason. Earlier this year I found a hell of a deal on a 20" 5R Barreled Action just like the one I had and I jumped on it. It shoots just as well if not better than my original so I couldn't be happier. It's funny even though it's not the best rifle on the market but it'll always have a special place in my heart Hence my SH Screen Name.

Enjoy it bro, hope it'll serve you well for a long time before it evolves into something even Better!

Cheers!