• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Tripod - 1st impressions

kurtispalu

TBAC Nerd
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2014
Cheyenne, WY
Josh at PVA sent me one of the pre-production samples of the comp-40. The first I did was extend the tripod all the way (this puts the pva ball head just over 66" above the ground) and put my full body weight on it. I knew the carbon legs would hold my weight (185 lbs), I wanted to test the clamps on the leg sections. The clamps all held and I was surprised there was very little flex in the system.

I tossed a bolt gun onto the head and started doing a little dry fire practice. There is a hillside behind my house that is 450 yards. Standing behind the tripod/rifle combo my wobble zone was about 0.5moa. The ball head feels smooth and locks up tight. The only thing I don't like about the head is the tension knob is a little low, I plan on having a buddy make me a kydex throw lever for it. From tight to light tension is just under half a turn so a throw lever will be perfect.

Overall this thing is super solid and for the price it feels like a steal. If down the road I end up not liking the ball head I can easily put a RRS anvil-30 on it and have a kick ass tripod setup for about $850. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better tripod/head combo for $630. The only downside is it is a little heavy at 7 lbs with the ball head.

I plan on taking it to the range a couple times in the next 2 weeks. After doing a couple dry fire sessions with it I'm confident that if I miss standing behind the tripod its me, not the tripod.

Attachments

• IMG-2588.JPG
    IMG-2588.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 414
I just ordered one this morning, the specs and price look hard to beat. Can't wait!

Overall this thing is super solid and for the price it feels like a steal. If down the road I end up not liking the ball head I can easily put a RRS anvil-30 on it and have a kick ass tripod setup for about $850.

What is needed to attach the anvil 30 on to these legs? Series 2 or 3 platform adapters?

@Troy G I don't know what the load capability is on the Feisols exactly but based on their sizes the load isn't the only factor. Stiffness and stability is a big factor in shooting from them. The 40mm leg compared to a 34 or 33mm leg tripod are huge when it comes to increasing the flexural and compression stiffness of a tube. This improves the overall rigidity of the tripod as well.

Flexural stiffness, all other things being the same (ply layup and material wise) is based on the 4th order of the radius.

Simple approximation means that going from a 34mm to a 40mm leg is (40^4)/(34^4) or appx 1.91% stiffer flexurally. We're specified a thicker ply layup than typical legs so that aids but I don't know what the layup is on the Feisols so giving an exact answer is not possible.

The lightest rated component in the system we're offering is the ball head. It's rated to 30kg, a little over 66lbs.
That's overkill for just stacking a rifle on it but when you're talking about large framed folks hauling a rifle around during a match, leaning into it, pulling on the knobs, and twisting the rifle into position we decided to go heavier duty than a 13kg ball head.

When fully extended the tripod will readily support me hanging from it on a polished concrete surface, I'm 230lbs all in.

@Troy G I don't know what the load capability is on the Feisols exactly but based on their sizes the load isn't the only factor. Stiffness and stability is a big factor in shooting from them. The 40mm leg compared to a 34 or 33mm leg tripod are huge when it comes to increasing the flexural and compression stiffness of a tube. This improves the overall rigidity of the tripod as well.

Flexural stiffness, all other things being the same (ply layup and material wise) is based on the 4th order of the radius.

Simple approximation means that going from a 34mm to a 40mm leg is (40^4)/(34^4) or appx 1.91% stiffer flexurally. We're specified a thicker ply layup than typical legs so that aids but I don't know what the layup is on the Feisols so giving an exact answer is not possible.

The lightest rated component in the system we're offering is the ball head. It's rated to 30kg, a little over 66lbs.
That's overkill for just stacking a rifle on it but when you're talking about large framed folks hauling a rifle around during a match, leaning into it, pulling on the knobs, and twisting the rifle into position we decided to go heavier duty than a 13kg ball head.

When fully extended the tripod will readily support me hanging from it on a polished concrete surface, I'm 230lbs all in.

Thanks!

I shot off of this tripod today. It is very nice. I own an RRS tripod and would never spend the money for an RRS given the option of the PVA tripod.

Since I can't remember the bowl diameter of the Feisol 3342 or 3372, does anyone know which of the RRS leveling heads will work in the PVA tripod without having to use a shim?

Wish i would have seen these last year when i picked up my fiesol. PVA makes all parts here in the US?
No, it's not 100% made in USA. We specified the layout and we're having it made for us. I looked at sourcing the AL parts in the US and we could barely buy raw material for what a completed part was going to cost from overseas.

We spec'd the configuration using nearly everything from off-the-shelf components put together in an arrangement that fits a shooter's needs more than a videographer's needs. There is enough of the work done here are some tricks of marketing that I could write "assembled in USA" on it as well as "manufacturered in USA" but I didn't feel right doing that.

As I said before in other places, we're not discussing details on how/when/where it's being made. What we are doing is providing a warranty and spare parts for tripods that are damaged through use/abuse/etc.

That's how we can get them for a price point that is so attractive. It's sourced across several countries and assembled for us, shipped in and we do the laser marking in house. That's also why we can offer custom marking for folks that want to put their name/team/etc on it.

Since I can't remember the bowl diameter of the Feisol 3342 or 3372, does anyone know which of the RRS leveling heads will work in the PVA tripod without having to use a shim?
I believe it uses the Type 3 but I'm not entirely sure. The center stud is a 3/8-16 so any screw on heads using that setup will fit. The bowl adapters need to be 75mm but I'm not sure if that's a type 2 or 3.

I have a 3372, and use the TA-U-LC. Not sure if that answers your question...

I have the same tripod and leveling base as you. I was wondering which RRS leveling base would work with the PVA without having to use a shim, though I admit I worded it poorly. A friend is looking to upgrade his tripod and I wanted to steer him in the right direction

Okay, so I went looking at the RRS site, and it appears the Series 3 stuff is a diameter of 74mm (2.8"), and the series 2 stuff is 44mm (1.7") for each of their respective bases. The "video bowl" of the tripod is 75mm in diameter for the RRS Series 3 tripods. They currently are not listing Series 2 tripods as a product.

The TA-U-LC doesn't fit into the tripod itself, but screws on to the top of the 3/8-16 studded plate that fits into the tripod video bowl (the ones above, I believe, mount directly into the tripod video bowl). Finally, the TA-U-LC has a base max width of 87mm (3.2").

Last edited:
Reactions: canezach
I am new to the bases but I keep seeing the series 3 leveling bases calling out the 75mm bowl. So I am thinking those are them but please let me know if anyone knows for sure. Bought the tripod but want to buy an anvil head.

So I finally got to the range yesterday and the tripod setup is gtg. First target was an ipsc at 700. 3 shots, 3 hits. Then I moved to a 30" plate at 1k and missed my second shot cause of a bad wind hold. Last target was at 400 and I had no issues seeing impacts on the plate. After playing around a little i would tighten the ball head down and leave the panning feature snug, it made adjusting my wind call super easy.

Reactions: Troy G
Got in on the pre-order pricing yesterday. Looks like good stuff for the price.

I received mine on Friday and used it in a local match today.

I can confirm that a RRS TA-3 leveling base fits into the tripod as that is what I used. In using it in the match it seemed just as stable as a RRS TVC 43 with TA3 that I have shot in the same match previously. Overall I’m impressed.

Did you guys go with the PVA ball head or plan to run something else. I waffled back and forth between the ball head and a RRS levelling base, went with the ball head in the head. Still waiting for mine to get North.

Photo showing the head of the tripod, at about 1 o'clock there is a small tab, this recesses when the button in the second picture (which is on the underside of the head) is pressed, this allows your base, ballhead, etc. to drop in place then you tighten it down with the pictured black tab that is spring loaded and goes around a bolt head.
37607847_2088911227817219_4297695210118316032_n.jpg

37642126_2088911221150553_1343518297638830080_n.jpg

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Well, I decided to place an order for one since I can use my RRS TA-U-LC. Since my friend was looking for a tripod, I'll test this one out against my Feisol 3372 and 3342 and sell off whichever I don't keep. Now I just need to see a shipping notice come in! I'm hoping Josh still has one and I won't have to wait until they're released. Waiting is the freaking hardest part.

I got in on the pricing when I ordered in June. They responded to me this week saying that I will receive mine when the next batch comes in.

I received mine on Friday and used it in a local match today.

I can confirm that a RRS TA-3 leveling base fits into the tripod as that is what I used. In using it in the match it seemed just as stable as a RRS TVC 43 with TA3 that I have shot in the same match previously. Overall I’m impressed.
Pics when you get a chance please!

Anyone have any pics of an Anvil-30 installed? Would it use the series 2 or 3 adapter?

Did you guys go with the PVA ball head or plan to run something else. I waffled back and forth between the ball head and a RRS levelling base, went with the ball head in the head. Still waiting for mine to get North.

I did and I have since ordered a RRS ball head. Trying to get the one from PVA rma'd or refunded. The pretension doesnt do much, and the ball head "pops" when loosened from tight and goes from locked to wobble in a split second.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the product or just mine. We shall see.

Works well, 75mm bowl series 3 is correct as stated above. Used several times need to practice more but made hits beyond 500. Works well when not in use for rifle for labradar too.

So your saying the go with the series 3 RRS platform adapter if you run the anvil-30? Sorry I am trying to learn on tripod gear. My understanding the anvil 30 would mount on it just with the stud but the issue is it could turn off (come unscrewed) where you wouldn’t have this issue with the series 3 adapter?

Reactions: pell1203
Replaces the plate where the screw is: very easy to do. Avoids screwing on and off as well as being a more stable attachment method.

Attachments

• 4D374340-9E90-4676-B21F-DBC4CDDF03C6.jpeg
    4D374340-9E90-4676-B21F-DBC4CDDF03C6.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 4DF3B85A-9227-4434-80A4-1151DF3E5DD1.jpeg
    4DF3B85A-9227-4434-80A4-1151DF3E5DD1.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 187
@canezach after using both the PVA tripod and Feisol 3372, which tripod did you prefer over the other? I have a RRS TA-U-LC I need to pair up with a tripod and trying to decide what to get. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Very timely that this thread popped back to the top. I was about to ask about the most stable way to attach the Anvil 30 to the PVA Comp 40 tripod. I think that I've just about settled that is the combo I'll go with. Thanks to those that posted pics and descriptions.
Now if the Anvil 30 and Comp 40 would only come in stock!

Reactions: TheMammoth