• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS owners Mod 1 or Mod 2?

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm in the market to purchase my first AR and have narrowed it down to the PWS rifles. A buddy of mine recently bought the Mk 116 mod 2 and I'm very impressed with it. However looking at the prices (both are in budget) the thought occurred to me, is the mod 2 worth the extra $400 give or take over the mod 1? Is the mod 2 more accurate, reliable, better with a suppressor which I plan to use and so forth?

Want to hear your thoughts

Get the mod 1 and use the money you saved on a good optic. I've had my mk116 mod 1 for a few years now and have been well pleased with it. I shoot mine suppressed 90 percent of the time and it seems a little over gassed but that's my only complaint. I went to a heavy buffer and spring in my mk216 and put the factory spring out of the 216 in my mk116 and it's just about right now. It's a solid .75moa rifle with a 1-6 viper pst and 75gr Hornady black ammo.

Reactions: RyanScott
    Agreed. Get the mod 1 and use the $400 towards an Aimpoint. However, I'd wait until it comes out with the MLOK rail.

Haven't updated my thread. I have been putting money away for a eotech/aimpoint and have the money for the AR. I made the decision to go mod 1 after I talked to PWS on the phone. In the grand scheme of things I really don't get anything for the extra money so as the 2 posters above me have suggested I'm using the money I'm saving for a good optic.

.30kal, why wait for the MLOK? What does it have that the current rail doesn't?

I have both a mod 1 and a mod 2, and both are solid. The advantage to me of the mod 2 are the weight savings and that the hand guard clamps onto the upper receiver and not the barrel nut (which *may* effect accuracy). Also, if you want to use a jp silent capture spring, only the mod 2 is comparable. Mod 1 has 4 gas positions while the mod 2 only has 3. Hope that helps.

The 2017 mod 1 models now have the same 3 port gas positions per PWS and both mods use the same internal parts. ie pistons, barrels, gas ports ect. Didn't know that but found it interesting. More than likely now done to streamline the production. Pretty good discussion we finally going although unless I find a REALLY good deal on a mod 2 I'm sold on the mod 1.

The 2017 mod 1 models now have the same 3 port gas positions per PWS and both mods use the same internal parts. ie pistons, barrels, gas ports ect. Didn't know that but found it interesting. More than likely now done to streamline the production. Pretty good discussion we finally going although unless I find a REALLY good deal on a mod 2 I'm sold on the mod 1.
    You may have newer info than I do - I apologize if I spread old info. When I was deciding on mod 1 vs mod 2 three months ago the bolts carriers were slightly different according to pws. Standarding is a good improvement.

The bolt carriers might be slightly different but I was told the bolts are all the same, as is barrels, gas ports and I don't remember the rest, just all the internals. The upper and lowers are different though both mods are forged 7075, but when asked was told as far as accuracy, dependability/reliability so on and so forth they are the same. I've never owned an AR, the only semi auto I have is an M1 so the one that my friend has, mod 2, swayed me towards that model until I began to really look into it and for the cost of a mod 2 I could purchase a mod 1 and put an optic on it.

Last edited:
    I got a mod 2, 300BO 11.85 inch upper. It doesn't have the adjustable gas like the mod 1 does.
    Fit and finish seem nice and it runs 220 subs suppressed and unsuppressed. Flawlessly.
    I Can't complain with that

I have a MK2 Mod 1. Received the upper in early January and pre shot show with the m-lok hand guards. I am not of much help but can provide pictures of their 308 rifle as I don't think their was many Mod 2 308s produced.