• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PX Bullshit, Everyone is selling for themselves

I think $1 per post/add is very reasonable. I look on other gun sites, we have a great one here in Virginia, but nowhere is there glass like here. Not that Ive seen, anyway.

Be careful of "Freakenomics".

Make the fee too low you will invite the problem.

I dont know what commercial posting fees are now but Im betting they are reasonable in light of the possible market you reach.

If peeps are already avoiding it now sure you will force them to pay but likely attract more.

In the book "Freakenomics" there is an account of a child care service that instituted a fine for late pickup parents in order to encourage on time pickup.

The fee was so low other parents thought "Shit I cant get an hours worth of sitter for that low a fee" and late pickup increased.

Im also kind of tired of tards costing me money. They take advantage we all pay.

Someone with access comes across a case of KAC SR10 mags the unit was going to move to the dumpster and sells them here I love those deals. Doesnt make him a commercial dealer.

Someone goes to auctions buying bins of gear with the intent to list here well than perhaps you are a business and need to comply with supporting the platform to reach your audience.

In the end its HMFIC decision. Kind of neat he even posted to generate conversation but it may be an echo chamber of sorts.

The people that use the site as intended will comment and the violators will lurk while posting their latest deal on some 1970 NOS scope rings in an estate purchased yellowed plastic package with an antique orange "Sams" Guns price tag marked $3.95 fantasizing how these are the same rings the USMC used in Nam and are a deal at $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
Why not another unliked RV point of view :)
Large volume sellers, that are not OFFICIALLY part of a business, just selling on the side to make some cash t0 buy tennis shoes for the kids, are doing internet garage sales sometimes in the $20,000 range or better. I'm not talking 'private FFLs' but self proclaimed private individuals.

We have all heard the libs talk about gun sales over the internet, a crock of shit, but how many dollars are trading hands in the PX untaxed.
(Income tax not that sales tax shit).

SH isn't on the hook to track this, that's the govmnts job :)
Now that the Revenuers are back at work (for a few weeks) places like GB, AL, the EE on the other forum sure document a lot of dollars.
Any sellers concerned? Maybe not.

Is there an explanation of some of the badges somewhere?

Whats more interesting is that there are badges not visible to the individual they are tagged to such as....

"Connecticut Liberal Clinton Supporter"

Reactions: Fig and 1J04
Another possible solution I'll just throw out there. Tom Bowers on Subguns had a paid ad system, like $5 per ad I think (been awhile since I've been over there). Then he had a Under $500 free ad board, that way if you were selling little odds and ends it was still worth your time. I'm not endorsing any course of action here, and I'll abide by whatever rules Frank puts in place, but alot of these rifles and optics cost thousands of dollars, what's $5 on a 2-3000 dollar piece of equipment?

With help from the members, the PX is well-policed.
Just like every other section, Frank and the mods do not see every thread and every comment.
We rely on the membership to bring issues to our attention.

I get a lot of PMs, but honestly the Report button is the best tool to use.
That way whichever mod who happens to see it can handle it.
It's also critically helpful to provide good information.
A PM stating - "You might want to check out the guy trying to sell the Vortex" isn't very helpful without a link to the listing or a link to the profile in question.
The report button automatically links us to the thread and to the post, but even then, please state why you think the post is a problem. If we have to spend 15 minutes trying to figure out what you were thinking, it's not going to be worth our time and we'll likely reject the report.

Conversely, being a whiny bitch doesn't bode well. I've responded to a few reports of hurt feelings - no rules violation - and actually ended up serving the penalty to the reporter.

Also of note. Stupid should hurt.

I was working through new sign-ups this morning and saw one that was flagged as matching a recently banned member. Some genius was banned for a week for over bumping.
Unwisely, they chose to try to get back on under a different username, so they could manage their little free storefront here.
It got deferred to the Mod who issued the initial one week vacation, and now they're gone for good.

Play stupid games - Win Stupid prizes

What about every 10 likes from others gives you a spot on the px, or pay up per post? The old fats of the Hide have nothing to worry about, encourages those who want to sell to actively involve themselves and participate, keeps the items from being tacked higher to cover the fees, and for guys like me who only BUY (much to my wife's face palming), would mean less bs and emails of btt, ttt to sort through as folks won't want to waste a post until it's 6 pages in.
That way, Johnny Lostjobby CAN liquidate some stuff when he needs to, waste his posts ttt- Ing it up, and we all scoop up some good deals with limited garbage sorting. Just an idea, ring it at distance if you'd like.

I would also suggest the idea of a sticky somewhere explaining the different banners. I think most are pretty self explanatory but I see some users with "full member" and "private first class"

I'm sure its not easy keeping track of all the shenanigans but thanx for all the hard work!

As the team figures out how to proceed, a few observations:

1) Determining number of PX Threads and Duration: Big bore/wildcats caliber custom rifles, high end scopes, NVGs/Thermo Devices, specific reloading stuff, etc. These are a niche of the shooting community and by default most likely could take longer to sell in most cases.

2) As for the discussion on contributing and selling, understand the concerns. Keep in mind not everyone here is an expert or might have good advice/comments. Got it we want to encourage members to share their knowledge & experience, but do we want folks to make comments for the sake of making comments? Their contribution might be selling stuff which another member is in search of or sharing where to buy from. A lot good advice sometimes happens behind the scenes in PMs.

3) The site has a world of information, and it takes a little time to just explore the surface, figure things out, and built experience to contribute in different ways. Even some of the older members are still figuring/finding new things, imaging the the newbies.

4) With the increased interest in the search for accuracy, competitive shooting, extreme long range shooting, etc. Sniper's Hide has grown immensely since I became a member. Now we are faced with the challenges of a large member base and how to find better ways to manage & balance the competing interests.

5) We owe it to the Sniper's Hide team to help brainstorm and make the Hide better by keeping our counterparts/other members honest in a professional and receptive way. If that doesn't work we can result to reporting (also politely referred as snitching).

Like it has been stated throughout the thread, changes are coming and we all need to be ready to abide by them.

Hat is off to the hard work the Sniper's Hide team has put to keep this great resource available to many!

I would also suggest the idea of a sticky somewhere explaining the different banners. I think most are pretty self explanatory but I see some users with "full member" and "private first class"

I'm sure its not easy keeping track of all the shenanigans but thanx for all the hard work!
The one that confused me the most is @Dthomas3523

Reactions: Basher
As someone who has bought and sold a ton of stuff on here (I have a problem ?), my suggestion would be some sort of fee to make a for sale posting.

Take the time to look at some accounts and see who is posting enough for sale items to obviously be a vendor or someone using the site for profit. Over the course of a year.

Come up with a price per post that makes it more profitable for them to pay the $1500/year vendor fee.

Example:

Average douchebag who abuses forum makes 500 posts in for sale section last year.

Each for sale post needs to cost $3 to be the same as the $1500. So, charge a fee of $3.25 or $3.50 which would make it less profitable for them over time.

I know some people are going to hate this idea. Especially since most of us aren’t here to make a profit overall. But, this is a website owned by someone who makes part of their living based upon it. So there becomes a time where you need to monetize a for sale section that has gotten out of control.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="1J04, post: 7512662, member: 56108"[/QUOTE]

How am I supposed to use the easy button to quote you when you do this tom foolery of posting within a quote? :mad:

I typically avoid the new stuff at almost retail prices in the PX. I assume those are the sellers you are taking about.

Spicerack is just a late bloomer.

This thread alone could probably drive up some of the post count padders since now it's a public thing. In retrospect, too bad this couldn't have been discussed in a more private setting to keep out the riff Raff... But I understand the community should drive the direction we head.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Only 19 more posts for you!

After 6 years :p

Ok, you get the low hanging fruit outta the way. Now then, WTF did he just say?

Reactions: oneshot86 and 1J04
[QUOTE="1J04, post: 7512662, member: 56108"

How am I supposed to use the easy button to quote you when you do this tom foolery of posting within a quote? :mad:[/QUOTE]

It's intentional. Stop stalking me...................

POLICE ! POLICE ! STALKER !!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Just wack the ones abusing it, if you add fees then assholes abusing system just raise product said fee and make the buyer pay it on his end. Problem still not solved.

Just wack the ones abusing it, if you add fees then assholes abusing system just raise product said fee and make the buyer pay it on his end. Problem still not solved.

The “problem” is they are using the site without paying the piper

Fee solves that problem. Doesn’t matter where it comes from. Buyer or seller.

If you whack the ones abusing it, you take the products out of market that people buy.

I did didn't I. :LOL:

images

:ROFLMAO:

And we as buyers save quite a bit of money on here with some of the deals. So a few dollar fee added by the seller to cover said fee isn’t gonna kill your savings.

It does however compensate Frank and company for dealing with the bullshit.

And we as buyers save quite a bit of money on here with some of the deals. So a few dollar fee added by the seller to cover said fee isn’t gonna kill your savings.

It does however compensate Frank and company for dealing with the bullshit.
I get that, but it still doesn’t fix the problem of someone posting 100 products a month abusing the PX. As Frank mentioned earlier, don’t think he wants to charge a fee and have some kind of liability with transactions.

I get that, but it still doesn’t fix the problem of someone posting 100 products a month abusing the PX. As Frank mentioned earlier, don’t think he wants to charge a fee and have some kind of liability with transactions.

There’s only a few choices:

Let it run wild
Moderate the shit out of it
Moderate the shit out of it and generate revenue
Get rid of the PX

The “problem” is they are using the site without paying the piper

Fee solves that problem. Doesn’t matter where it comes from. Buyer or seller.

If you whack the ones abusing it, you take the products out of market that people buy.

This is the same as the gun control argument bullshit; a few morons end up causing long standing 'policies' be put into place that now effect 100% of people and will never go away.

To continue on with the same gun control theme, it will also deter nothing. If I followed this thread right, Frank never mentioned he needed to raise revenue, but instead was sick of retailers selling shit here for free. Well, I'm not a retailer yet if there's a fee system implemented, based on 'taxing' those that are trying to get around the rules, I'm now expected to pay into it as well. That's punishing us all because some faggots can't follow the rules.

As said earlier, all the larger sellers hiding as individuals will do is raise prices/pass it on to people. The rest of us then get to pay fees on anything we offload privately via the exchange. Fixes absolutely zero other than the guy that just joined and has 3 posts wanting to put something up for sale, which under the current rules couldn't anyways.

This is the same as the gun control argument bullshit; a few morons end up causing long standing 'policies' be put into place that now effect 100% of people and will never go away.

To continue on with the same gun control theme, it will also deter nothing. If I followed this thread right, Frank never mentioned he needed to raise revenue, but instead was sick of retailers selling shit here for free. Well, I'm not a retailer yet if there's a fee system implemented, based on 'taxing' those that are trying to get around the rules, I'm now expected to pay into it as well. That's punishing us all because some faggots can't follow the rules.

As said earlier, all the larger sellers hiding as individuals will do is raise prices/pass it on to people. The rest of us then get to pay fees on anything we offload privately via the exchange. Fixes absolutely zero other than the guy that just joined and has 3 posts wanting to put something up for sale, which under the current rules couldn't anyways.

This is life.

Name one rule that is out there that wasn’t caused by the minority fucking things up for the majority.

This is not like gun control as no one is proposing to take away your ability to buy and sell.

Also, while Frank didn’t say he needed to raise revenue, the fact is he is dealing with more and more bullshit.

So, either make the bullshit worthwhile or shut the whole thing down.

This is life.

Name one rule that is out there that wasn’t caused by the minority fucking things up for the majority.

This is not like gun control as no one is proposing to take away your ability to buy and sell.

Also, while Frank didn’t say he needed to raise revenue, the fact is he is dealing with more and more bullshit.

So, either make the bullshit worthwhile or shut the whole thing down.

Doesn't matter. Personal resposibility. I'm not ok with the rationale that when stupid people do stupid people things, the rest of us get to pay for it. There's way too many stupid people for that theory to even remotely be acceptable.

I'm betting the ones causing the problems can be found out and IP banned in very short time.

Send them an email stating its been determined they are selling in quantities that would require a dealer/vendor account. Offer them the account, lay out the costs and tell them either become a dealer, or your exchange posting privileges are now reduced to X per month or whatever, or you cannot post in the exchange at all but can contribute to the other forums. Make them make a choice and take responsibility; don't bring their bullshit over to the rest of us.

Just from cruising the exchange, I can find 3 or 4 right off the bat that I'm betting would 'qualify', and I'm not even trying to find them.