• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Q Sugar Weasels Arrive Less than perfect looking

WTFDUDE

Professional Idiot
Minuteman
May 11, 2020
Non-Urban Areas
I purchased 2 sugar weasels in April of 2020. The Covid excuse (probably somewhat valid) pushed the Nov date to February, to May and then finally I received them earlier this week. I will hopefully get a change to try them out tomorrow but was pretty unhappy with the finish on these guns. I have to say I've never seen a worse looking finish on a new gun. They say the anodizing gives it a random look but I have enough experience buying cans and other things that are anodized to know the difference between randomness and color variation vs just a poor effort. For $1600 a piece, I dont think I'm being b*tchy but please feel free to give me your opinion. Most guns I have bought new (probably around 15) are well below the price of this one and either I've been very lucky, they F'd up, or I fail to understand the nuisance of this process. Either way, it seems like a pretty hefty price to charge and send out.

I had a few email exchanges with them but before I go over those let me first show my complaints in pictures below. On the flip side of the finish quality, I am loving the way they feel and work. The pistol brace is high quality, cannot say much yet about the trigger. It feels lighter than I could of imagined. The actual color is more earth tone (desert tan mixed with some green tones) than I expected from pictures/videos I've seen. Makes it a little less bold / noticeable looking which is probably a good thing.

The marks from brass deflector from testing I guess I can deal with. I'm sure over time it was going to happen anyway.
IMG_20210706_195712_LI.jpg

However there were other marks on this gun which is supposed to be new. Not what I would put in the rugged category, I can only imagine how bad the finish will look after some real usage. Here's some of those pictures. The smudge on the opposite side of the safety reminds me of what my grade school art class paintings would look like.
IMG_20210706_195630_LI.jpg
IMG_20210706_195703_LI.jpg

IMG_20210706_195602_LI.jpg

and finally the beautiful new magazines!

IMG_20210706_195827_LI.jpg
IMG_20210706_195836_LI.jpg
IMG_20210706_195801_LI.jpg

Last edited:
as for the email exchanges will update as more responses follow but here's the response i got when I sent them the pictures.

"I have attached a video that we just took showing an unboxing of the magazines. These types of markings are very common on this type of magazine.
As far as the spots on the brass deflector, that is from test firing it and the brace hitting it. Which is the intended design.
"

I have replied with the following and awaiting response:
"do you fire all the weapons before they ship out?
I have to say, for the price of the item and every video I've seen where they are firing the weapon, I do not see such imperfections on the brass deflector. I fear this coating will not stand up to about anything. These guns are not cheap entry level so I am surprised I'll just say. So you are standing by this quality craftmanship? What about the scratches by the trigger? How about what looks the obvious smudge on the opposite side of the safety?
Could you tell me who makes these magazines?
I am not trying to be an annoying pest, I have bought over a dozen firearms and this is the first time I've ever contacted customer service.
Thanks,
WTFDUDE"

Last edited:
If I had to guess. Loose mag with a loose rifle in a shit box.
Took a look box seems pretty good quality foam all around everything. I even put them back in and shook it to listen and was very minimal movement noise inside box. Here's what box looks like with/ without gun

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_011423.jpg
    IMG_20210711_011423.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20210711_011220.jpg
    IMG_20210711_011220.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 283
20210711_081216.jpg

Less than a week old Cerakote; 1-30rd mag suppressed, not even a scuff.

The guy that does this for me is a friend of mine. He's been professionally painting for 10+ years, and just started Cerakote a couple years ago, to accompany his side work of powder coating and hydrographics. The process is standard, and seems to work well if you follow the rules. Not trying to rub in your misfortune, just sharing my experience with what is allegedly the same coating.....

ETA: I have more trouble not scratching my weapons with my Tungsten ring, as opposed to the abuse they're subjected to daily.....

Reactions: Curt_SK
Magazine wise... Okay Industries / Surefeed scuffs them up. All the "Mil-Spec Dry Film Lube Grey" I have bought , have been like this.

The Teflon coated ones ( Tan and Black ) are far less scuffed.

And FWIW...you are not the first to have commented on this... so the mags would be "normal" I guess.

Professional performance.​

Put to the test.

SureFeed® magazines are beautifully finished, then promptly scuffed. Why? Because each and every magazine is hand-inspected and then tested with proprietary electronic gaging for flawless reliability. Testing the final product mars the finish, but it doesn’t mar performance. In fact, our scuffs are the mark of reliability.

Just an observation.

It appears that you panic bought a couple rifles/pistols, from a small outfit during the biggest run on gun stuff in the past 20 years and are perplexed that there are some cosmetic issues with a mid grade product. Q puts out nicer stuff than PSA and AP, but they are not exactly high end AR's. At the end of the day, these are still AR's and they are what they are and even the highest end AR's finish can not really be compared to that of say a nice berretta shotgun or Sako,Rigby or Mauser rifle. You are talking about sporting guns that cost more most peoples cars.

Should Q have exercised a little more care when packing their shipments, sure, but considering the market, it is what it is. you got a couple Nice AR pistols, get out and shoot and within a couple range sessions, none of this stuff will be noticeable anymore.

Just an observation.

It appears that you panic bought a couple rifles/pistols, from a small outfit during the biggest run on gun stuff in the past 20 years and are perplexed that there are some cosmetic issues with a mid grade product. Q puts out nicer stuff than PSA and AP, but they are not exactly high end AR's. At the end of the day, these are still AR's and they are what they are and even the highest end AR's finish can not really be compared to that of say a nice berretta shotgun or Sako,Rigby or Mauser rifle. You are talking about sporting guns that cost more most peoples cars.

Should Q have exercised a little more care when packing their shipments, sure, but considering the market, it is what it is. you got a couple Nice AR pistols, get out and shoot and within a couple range sessions, none of this stuff will be noticeable anymore.
While I think you're correct: Cerakote is Cerakote, and has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the parts used to assemble one of KB's abortions. In my opinion; the problem here is with their lack of product knowledge upon application, or just plain terrible QC.

Mass production items, I'd expect some flaws from. But 2 rifles, that took almost a year to acquire, had to have been handled by a human at least a few times. During the last 18 months, I have had no problem getting stripped receivers, whether 80% or not, so I doubt they didn't have the time to get it right.

Just adds another layer to the bullshit swirling the Internet regarding Q/KB, and their dealings

Edited to correct typo

Last edited:
How do they shoot?
I get more scratches than that goingnin and put of the safe and riding in the damn truck and at the range.
As long as they go pew pew, that's all that should matter.
Or cerekote the rigs and show the shiny new paint off to everyone.
Like in the ammo industry the gun industry has been working 7 days a week to keep up.
I'll check back for a range report.
Go shoot some shit with your new toys.

Handling marks.

If your going to put these in a shadow box and never touch them.. then sure be mad about the coating.

If you are actually going to use them... Don't bother. I do my best not to scratch my guns; but over time you get scratches. It's called character.

People pay good money for a battle worn finish...you are getting it for free.
glass is half full! Yeah they did send me a video of them opening the box of magazines and apparently this is how they look. I guess the ripped jeans movement is spilling over. So fine on this.
The guy that does this for me is a friend of mine. He's been professionally painting for 10+ years, and just started Cerakote a couple years ago, to accompany his side work of powder coating and hydrographics. The process is standard, and seems to work well if you follow the rules. Not trying to rub in your misfortune, just sharing my experience with what is allegedly the same coating.....
This demonstrates my frustration!

Reactions: AMGtuned
If I was worried about it, I would wipe the gun down with MPro 7 and then wipe it down with oil and then see if there are any blems. But just as camocorvette mentioned if your are going to use your guns they will get scratched and dents in the finish. With the sugar weasel you are paying for the barrel, gas system and rail and not the finish.

It appears that you panic bought a couple rifles/pistols, from a small outfit during the biggest run on gun stuff in the past 20 years and are perplexed that there are some cosmetic issues with a mid grade product. Q puts out nicer stuff than PSA and AP, but they are not exactly high end AR's.
Actually had a very generous friend ask me about self defense weapons at home who knew very little about guns and it was during the panic phase of the pandemic. After discussing pros/cons of things like handguns/shotguns/rifles/ going deaf etc he decided on this gun figuring it a nice trade of features and something his wife could handle well if he wasnt around. He then told me to buy 2 (which he paid for) and I could keep one ;) So I kind of lucked out!

It will get used/ and banged up over time. However, like when you get a new car, you kind of like it to not have all the scratches and dents right out of the gate and also realize the finish may not last very long at all.

How do they shoot?
I get more scratches than that goingnin and put of the safe and riding in the damn truck and at the range.
As long as they go pew pew, that's all that should matter.
Or cerekote the rigs and show the shiny new paint off to everyone.
Like in the ammo industry the gun industry has been working 7 days a week to keep up.
I'll check back for a range report.
Go shoot some shit with your new toys.
Hopped to go today however time/weather are not cooperating so will unfortunately have to hold off until Thursday and will update on my results!

Reactions: gonzaga
The smudge on the safety selector looks like it could just be lube.

2 range trips are going to scratch these things up more than what you have there. Have you tried arfcom to air your grievances?
Ya I'm wondering if the finish will look like swiss cheese based on how they arrived after 2 trips. May look into this depending on how the email exchanges go.

Wow - id actually pay a little money to watch Kevin's reaction these "issues". :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Bottom line, if you’re not happy context them And have them swap it out.
I had them swap out a lower for me where the trigger pocket walls were not the same thickness. Kevin brags about quality control but some get out looking like crap.
Mine shoots awesome and is my camper gun.

Reactions: Holliday
IMG_20210711_190806.jpg

The new pistol brace it comes with has a go f* yourself ATF kinda feel to it. Definitely will be dual wielding these using my best Arnold scream.

Reactions: 30calDeath
While I think you're correct: Cerakote is Cerakote, and has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the parts used to assemble one of KB's abortions. In my opinion; the problem here is with their lack of product knowledge upon application, or just plain terrible QC.

Mass production items, I'd expect some flaws from. But 2 rifles, that took almost a year to acquire, had to have been handled by a human at least a few times. During the last 18 months, I have had no problem getting stripped receivers, whether 80% or not, so I doubt they didn't have the time to get it right.

Just adds another layer to the bullshit swirling the Internet regarding Q/KB, and their dealings

Edited to correct typo
But the thing is that Q anodizes, because KB is an edge lord and generally speaking, anodizing unless its black, generally looks like shit. There is a reason that Cerakoting is more expensive than anodizing and it adds to the narrative that there really isnt anything about most of Q's stuff.

Actually had a very generous friend ask me about self defense weapons at home who knew very little about guns and it was during the panic phase of the pandemic. After discussing pros/cons of things like handguns/shotguns/rifles/ going deaf etc he decided on this gun figuring it a nice trade of features and something his wife could handle well if he wasnt around. He then told me to buy 2 (which he paid for) and I could keep one ;) So I kind of lucked out!

It will get used/ and banged up over time. However, like when you get a new car, you kind of like it to not have all the scratches and dents right out of the gate and also realize the finish may not last very long at all.
Good stuff.

Your definitely not wrong about being critical on this stuff, but alot times stuff like this is not worth burning the calories on especially if its going to be a shooter.

I would be more interested in hearing how it shoots rather than looks upon receipt.

Reactions: Curt_SK
The scuffs in the finish don't really bother me. You are going to get scuffs and dings shooting it. The dings on the brass deflector? If they bother you, add a small piece of self adhesive fuzzy velcro. This will protect the deflector and your case mouths (if you reload). But, that finish. WTF for real...
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.19.52 PM.png

Is that some artifact of oil (that I have marked with the yellow line), or is the finish really this f'd up?

Good stuff.

Your definitely not wrong about being critical on this stuff, but alot times stuff like this is not worth burning the calories on especially if its going to be a shooter.

I would be more interested in hearing how it shoots rather than looks upon receipt.
for myself I see it as a great stalking gun and/or gunsafe next to my bed gun. Will update later this week when this finally happens.

The scuffs in the finish don't really bother me. You are going to get scuffs and dings shooting it. The dings on the brass deflector? If they bother you, add a small piece of self adhesive fuzzy velcro. This will protect the deflector and your case mouths (if you reload). But, that finish. WTF for real...
View attachment 7666618

Is that some artifact of oil (that I have marked with the yellow line), or is the finish really this f'd up?
Nope thats part of the unique variation. I thought it was a lighting effect at first too until I looked closer

I hated the clear ano on my sugar weasel. I just had my friend cerakote it. Its gonna get beat up anyways but i just didn't like the finish

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 978
Reactions: huntnh
I hated the clear ano on my sugar weasel. I just had my friend cerakote it. Its gonna get beat up anyways but i just didn't like the finish
Like the look and setup, mine will be pretty much the same with Eotech (minus flip ups) and need to put in the law tactical folding brace. Just curious what is your rationale of iron sights with eotech?

Like the look and setup, mine will be pretty much the same with Eotech (minus flip ups) and need to put in the law tactical folding brace. Just curious what is your rationale of iron sights with eotech?
Just habit of adding them, I can co witness them through the glass if needed.

Reactions: Gunner234
You do know, of course, that electronic devices will fail at some point, and usually at the worst possible time.
You should always have buis on a fighting rifle.

You do know, of course, that electronic devices will fail at some point, and usually at the worst possible time.
Very antiquated logic.

You might have something to complain about on the rifles (I wouldn’t even have noticed), but not the mags.

Of the two of us, id say I'm being the more realistic one.
Whatever.
Just so you know, batteries have a life span.
LED's have a life span.
You go right ahead and live in your fantasy world.
Apparently you have never had to replace batteries in your TV remote.

Whatever.
Just so you know, batteries have a life span.
LED's have a life span.
You go right ahead and live in your fantasy world.
Apparently you have never had to replace batteries in your TV remote.
Haha, "fantasy world". The irony

Very antiquated logic.

Not to derail the thread, but the OP did ask, so I'm also interested in why BUIS is "antiquated" logic.

The arguments I've heard are that modern optics are so rugged/bullet proof/bomb proof, etc. that the likelihood one failing is negligible.

If that is the reasoning, then I would offer this for consideration:
For an operational piece of equipment that will undergo PCIs/PCCs before every mission, a BUIS might be an unnecessary redundancy. But for a HD gun that will sit in the safe until a bump in the night or Red Dawn happens (or whatever), it's better to be safe than sorry.

Mission dictates gear. A "stand by" gun seems like it would be better off with a set of irons on it "just in case."

Even in the case of an operational rifle, the mission might better served with BUIS, depending on the logistics of resupply in a hostile/remote area (for example).

Here's an anecdote: a couple of summers ago some of the T2s we were using for a training class kept failing intermittently. After changing the batteries on these two (out of 4 that we were using), they still had the issue. The armorers contacted Aimpoint and it was apparently not a new issue. Sometimes, in hot weather, the battery contacts would become intermittent, causing the optic to fail (no dot). I don't remember what the fix was (if any) as I was not involved in the administrative aspects of that incident. We are still using T2s and I have not heard of any repeats of that issue.

Anyway, what am I missing? Is my experience from a couple of years ago antiquated?

Last edited: