• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing QD flash suppressor / muzzle break effect accuracy?

ken226

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
A few years ago I rebarreled on old Vangaurd .223 youth model for a tactical rifle build. I chambered and installed an 8.4 twist Obermeyer blank, finished at 21 inches, and opened the bolt face to .308 specs.

Im thinking I might thread the barrel on it and install a Yankee Hill QD mount.

I would be threading between centers, 5/8 x 24, using an HSS single point tool on my 12x37 lathe.

How likely is this to effect accuracy as the gun is a tack driver with 140 Amaxes?

Anytime you go messing around with your muzzle, changing the contour of the barrel which is necessary for threading, adding addt'l weight to the muzzle (be it with just a simple thread, brake/suppressor mount, and/or suppressor), or otherwise go off changing anything that can impact barrel harmonics, there is a POTENTIAL that you will impact the rifle's accuracy/performance (either positively OR negatively). Additionally, the specific design/mfg/type of brake/muzzle device itself can impact accuracy either negatively or positively, as can the manner in which the device is installed/work done to permit installation (i.e. - muzzle threaded concentrically; threads cut in/out of spec; etc.). There is no universal truth that such modifications will/won't impact your accuracy, but the potential to do so is nonetheless there.

Now, with all that said, I have had multiple plain-muzzle barrels turned down and threaded to run a muzzle device without issue over the years and I count my blessings that none have experienced any accuracy woes after the fact. YMMV!