• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QD Scope Mount-Vertical or Horizontal Split Rings?

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
I remember reading here a while back that we stay away from vertical split rings. I see that many QD styles from what I would consider top shelf manufacturers, LaRue, American Defense for example offer just such rings. Is this a function of the rings being integral to the base? I wanted to use a QD base for the LPVO I will mount on a Colt 6920 flat top (with standard FSB)but of course do not want to risk any damage to the optic. So if in this case the vertically split is safe to use, I then have a few more options. If not, I can sniff out a QD base with the more traditional horizontal split. As always, I appreciate input and advice from members.

Doug

I believe most stay away from vertical split rings that clamp the pic rail, and optic together in one mechanism. Meaning you cannot remove the scope from the rail without losing the ring alignment on the optic. The mounts you mention above are integral "unimounts". The rail clamp is separate from the scope clamp.

Larue, ADM, and Spuhr (semi vertical) are all good mounts.

I've used vertically split rings (Warne) without issue in the past.

They have to be assembled and torqued in a particular manner, or issues can arise.

Having said that, I prefer traditional rings for precision work.

If you are looking for a QD mount for an AR I would take a look at Bobro, would never have a set of vertically split rings, have an old Larue mount & it is just an ok mount and a real pain in the ass like all vertical split mounts IMO, sits in a drawer somewhere, Spuhr would be your best bet for QD but they are not cheap. I have a Bobro on one of my AR's & it's pretty nice, also have a Seekins AR mount it's pretty nice but not QD which I prefer ay way, would never use QD mounts on a bolt gun.

I have an ATACR in a Larue mount on my REPR MK I. I remove it when I clean the upper. It's always held zero; I was banging steel at 600 with it today. Having said that I just put a Geissele mount in DDC on my M4 and I REALLY like that....

I believe most stay away from vertical split rings that clamp the pic rail, and optic together in one mechanism. Meaning you cannot remove the scope from the rail without losing the ring alignment on the optic. The mounts you mention above are integral "unimounts". The rail clamp is separate from the scope clamp.

Larue, ADM, and Spuhr (semi vertical) are all good mounts.

This is good to know I have a set of larue vertical that I was going to get rid of for 2 reasons, I was told they were 30mm I need 34mm and all the bad rep from vertical mounts.
I looked at it again, it is a 34mm mount, so it'll work perfectly for me

I've had solid performance from the ADM recon mounts on a few precision guns. Seemed to hold the scope perfectly well when I shot it at 800m the other day. It's certainly not ideal to set up the first time though.

I've realized that, but after the scope is in the mount, shouldn't have any problems later. Just need some extra dexterity or another pair of hands.