• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality 16" AR barrel

tuckner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
I'm looking for a quality 16" AR barrel for my carbines. Not looking for super accuracy, just something that is quality and will not be pooping out 3 MOA.

Have decided to replace these 14.5" with fixed flash hiders...

Any recommendations for something that can get me a better accuracy guarantee?

Re: Quality 16" AR barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about this Daniel Defense barrel? Any reason not to go with it?

Price is a factor and this looks like a good deal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=461614 </div></div>
check the crown under magnification when you get it.

Yeah thats good to go.

You lookin for a "mil-spec" barrel? (eg. chrome lined bore/chamber, 1 in 7 5.56 chamber)

Or a stainless "match" barrel like these:

White Oak Armament.

Yeah it say's to inspect it, although I will admit aside from something obvious or glaring I'm not sure I would be able to identify anything that takes magnification. I'm quite new at assembling and working on my own stuff.

Other than a good inspection has anyone had a bad experience, the reviews were good on it. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on two of them.

Any other feedback from here till tomorrow will be appreciated.

I'm looking for a quality mil-spec that I can be sure it won't shoot too poorly out of the box. I don't need anything match or really high end, although I would appreciate it to hold a decent group and not lob rounds willy nilly. My buddy has a DPMS and no matter what is fed through it, no better than 3 MOA. His previous barrel was also a DPMS but it held a better group. I'm just looking for some sort of consistency.

check out centurion arms. He has hammer forged barrels and they have a 1 moa garuntee.

You're going to be getting close to 1MOA from most decent factory barrels (ie rock river, etc) with match ammo anyway. Unless you get a bad one, which happens.

With the 55 gr milspec stuff it's sort of hit or miss, what ammo does the barrel like, how tight is the chamber, more a manufacturing tolerance difference than anything else.

The higher end barrels are going to run better with match ammo, fo shizzle, but will they group crappy budget ammo any better? Tough to say.

3MOA with any barrel and you've got a with your barrel, or your ammo, or maybe your barrel just hates your ammo. Or you've got a shit trigger on your gun and your scope mounts or scope sucks or you're not quite adept at shooting irons well.

But there's tons of differences just between individual barrels. Way less so with the high end ones. But for example I've got an ancient Bushy barrel that is right around 1MOA (at 100 yards) with PMC 55 grain ammo, it's got 15K rounds through it, keep on expecting it to start sucking, but it's still solid.

I have a Daniel Defense Barrel on my Spikes Tactical. It shoots pretty good. I shot it at 25 yds open sight prone, with 55 grain mil spec and my 3 shot group were touchers that you could cover with a dime. I sure that if you use the 69 or 72 grainer in it, or some handload stuff that barrel might do even better

I picked up a Daniel Defense at Brownells and am happy with it. If your going to do the work yourself make sure you get one with the gas/front sight assembly pre installed. Unless you have the ability to step drill those yourself.

White Oak, Lothar Walther, or even BCM makes high quality barrels that will be a great edition to your setup.

Might try ARPerformance - H could help you out or answer some questions....

Noveske, WOA, Krieger, LW, Rock, Lilja as mentioned above seem to be the std.

Satern barrels are another option.