• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes quality hunting scope

emt_jaybird

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Katy, TX
I need a scope recommendation. I have a $4K 30-06, I need a good deer rifle scope. I don't have the best vision so it needs some juice. It needs to be good in low light/just before dusk situations since that is when all the shooting happens anyway. Good name/High Quality/Under 3K. I prefer a cleaner look overall if I can get it. Any help would be highly appreciated.

I would recommend going with Leupold you can see a good selection at optics planet.com and they also have good magnification they go out to about 18x and further so that should allow someone with poor vision to still make some good shots.

I really like the old 3-12x56 zeiss if long distance is off the table. 18ozs, FFP, really bright.

I used to run a Swarovski with their Ballistic Turret and to be honest I haven't had a scope since that could match it in low light. The glass was great and the color/contrast was excellent. Take a look at their Z6 line but I do recommend the Ballistic Turret option if you're planning on extended ranges.

The March scope line warrants a look as well. Between the "hunting" line, "SFP tactical" line, and "FFP tactical" line you can find about any configuration you want for reticle, turret, focal plane, and illumination, while getting an awesome zoom ratio for hunting (8:1 or 10:1), incredible glass, and a very lightweight, tough package that will fit well on a hunting rifle.

For a hunting scope, it is really hard to beat the S&B Zenith series or Zeiss Victory HT line. In the woods, at last light, nothing I have found comes close to the contrast, clarity, and brightness. Both also offer excellent reticle options for low light.

Last edited:
The March scope line warrants a look as well. Between the "hunting" line, "SFP tactical" line, and "FFP tactical" line you can find about any configuration you want for reticle, turret, focal plane, and illumination, while getting an awesome zoom ratio for hunting (8:1 or 10:1), incredible glass, and a very lightweight, tough package that will fit well on a hunting rifle.

Are there any March dealers that are Hide sponsors?

I believe that Kelbly's handles all US sales of March scopes. Not sure if they are a hide vendor or not, but you'll find Jim Kelbly posting here occasionally.

The European makers have the best glass because they do most of their shooting at dawn or dusk. Swarovski z6 is tops closely followed by Zeiss Victory. They are a class above anything else period.
The picture is my culling rifle with a Zeiss Victory 5-25x56 with illuminated 60 reticule (best sporting reticule there is, well I think so because its fast); its a big scope. Frankly get the right sized scope to compliment the rifle. Swarovski are lighter weight, just check the reticule as some are too fine in the field with poor light. If its a sporting rifle then a ?-15x50 is plenty and either Swaro or Zeiss best glass with see into the gloom better than anything and very very close to the larger 56 objective without the bulk. The Zeiss ??x76 is amassing but heavy and stupid huge. I use my Victories on a full moon and can see into open fields well enough to shoot. The above are the best; other scopes do other things, some other things better, but non can do what these hunting scope models can
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/IMG_4487.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that Kelbly's handles all US sales of March scopes. Not sure if they are a hide vendor or not, but you'll find Jim Kelbly posting here occasionally.

Thanks,
March might be my next scope. I need something for my BAR and the March has a lot of features I appreciate. The biggest complaint I've read about is the eye box I believe. Any experience with this?

Last word on this as you know where I stand. Eyebox: what works on a range has little bearing in the field. A forgiving eyebox where you don't have to have your eye perfectly aligned both eye relief wise and centrally is probably the most overlooked feature when buying a hunting scope. A scope can have all the features one desires but if it is eyebox critical and you have to search for that picture then you are going to miss some opportunities... its frustrating as hell and messes up your shot no end. Swaro and Zeiss' are generous which make them so great as hunting scopes.

Last edited:
Last word on this as you know where I stand. Eyebox: what works on a range has little bearing in the field. A forgiving eyebox where you don't have to have your eye perfectly aligned both eye relief wise and centrally is probably the most overlooked feature when buying a hunting scope. A scope can have all the features one desires but if it is eyebox critical and you have to search for that picture then you are going to miss some opportunities... its frustrating as hell and messes up your shot no end. Swaro and Zeiss' are generous which make them so great as hunting scopes.

Good info. Do you have any experience with the March having a poor eye box?

Sorry no, not enough to comment. March do several models. As with all this kit you need to look through them and compare. I know Zeiss and Swaro are the ones to beat. Most scopes may be great on the range but fall short eyebox wise. Its when under pressure you find people searching to see through their scope! Leaving magnification too high, from that comfortable zeroing range, is the other culprit.

Thanks,
March might be my next scope. I need something for my BAR and the March has a lot of features I appreciate. The biggest complaint I've read about is the eye box I believe. Any experience with this?

No personal experience (yet), but that weakness is pretty well documented in various threads. That complaint is raised mainly with the 3-24x42 and 2.5-25x42 models, and I believe only at the higher magnifications (16x plus). That's not a preferable quality, but to me its also not a deterrent in a hunting scope since I've never shot at anything over 12x where I wasn't shooting from a rest and had plenty of time. For me personally, the advantages of an 8:1 and 10:1 zoom ratio far outweighs any negatives associated with a finicky eyebox above 16x, since it negates the need to pack around a spotting scope. From the few reviews I've had the opportunity to read on the recently released 3-24x52mm March scopes, it sounds like the larger objective has resolved the concerns with the eye box.

No personal experience (yet), but that weakness is pretty well documented in various threads. That complaint is raised mainly with the 3-24x42 and 2.5-25x42 models, and I believe only at the higher magnifications (16x plus). That's not a preferable quality, but to me its also not a deterrent in a hunting scope since I've never shot at anything over 12x where I wasn't shooting from a rest and had plenty of time. For me personally, the advantages of an 8:1 and 10:1 zoom ratio far outweighs any negatives associated with a finicky eyebox above 16x, since it negates the need to pack around a spotting scope. From the few reviews I've had the opportunity to read on the recently released 3-24x52mm March scopes, it sounds like the larger objective has resolved the concerns with the eye box.

Thanks for the insight. That was the impression I was under. Eye box gets tight at higher magnifications. I'm mostly interested in the 1-10x24 but based on the price point I'll probably try to find another NF 2.5-10x24x32x42 etc. I also checked out a LRHS 3-12 and for the money on the used market I don't think they can be beat.

... I also checked out a LRHS 3-12 and for the money on the used market I don't think they can be beat.

If you're considering or leaning towards FFP scopes, read up a little on Steiner's new T5Xi in the 3-15x50. Should be released anytime now, and might be a great fit as well.

You can also find a Nice used 4x, 6x or 8x S&B Classic fixed in the $500-800 price range. Superb glass, durrable and reliable.

If you're considering or leaning towards FFP scopes, read up a little on Steiner's new T5Xi in the 3-15x50. Should be released anytime now, and might be a great fit as well.

That new Steiner might change the game for everyone. Seems like a winner to me.

I've owned Swarovski and still do in binos& spotters and can find nothing else that compares including my buddy's Zeiss , I've owned Steiner binos and they were great also but never a Steiner rifle scope , if their new line is comparable to their binos I will really be checking them out .
As a side note , what tactical scopes provide the best low light performance in your opinion regardless of reticule ?

Had a Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50 that had incredible glass and was impressive in low light. It was a great hunting scope and I hate that I sold it.

If you want to hunt LR I would absolutely recommend the LRHS, my LRHS lost to my 3-15 premier in lowlight hunting target identification by ~2 minutes.

If you want to hunt LR I would absolutely recommend the LRHS, my LRHS lost to my 3-15 premier in lowlight hunting target identification by ~2 minutes.

From what everyone says the LRHS is a winner. It has all the features most hunters need/want and none that they don't. I like the capped windage and exposed elevation a lot. Magnification range seems great and I've heard no complaints about the glass.

You can't beat a Swarovski for a hunting scope. The clarity is amazing in low light and they have a 25 power scope for the eye site!

I need a scope recommendation. I have a $4K 30-06.

Lots of great scope suggestions here! To the OP, question slightly off topic. What type of rifle do you have? A $4k 30-06 hunting rifle is fairly unique. Just curious as to the make and model. Thanks and good luck in the field this Fall!