• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

quality sleeping bag

txfireman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
wichita falls,texas
i was wanting to buy a good sleeping bag, and i was looking for suggestions. i wont be in weather colder than 15 degrees and i was looking at eagle industries sleeping bags b/c i have an A-III from them that is outstanding. any advice is appreciated.

Re: quality sleeping bag

I grew up in Maine ... every one of my sleeping bags came from LL Bean. I have never used anything other than a Bean bag of some form or another.

I like the modular sleeping systems that are out now. I have the militaries last generation of it and it is excellent. These systems are a three part system that consist of an outer bivy, a patrol bag, and an intermediate bag. You can combine any of the three to get something that works in all weather.

If you want something that is light, warm, and packs small and won't be abusing it (read: doesn't need to be made out of heavy, super-durable materials), Western Mountaineering makes the best sleeping bags that are available, period, as far as I have seen. They are not "tactical" and a 15 degree bag will run you about $400, more depending on options. Their "standard" 15 degree bag (Apache MF) weighs 2 pounds and fits in a stuff sack fatter but shorter than a loaf of bread.

The military system is durable, relatively inexpensive, and will get you down a lot colder than you need, but it's heavy and doesn't pack small.

the usgi system works pretty good and can be found for cheap.

or snugpack sleeping bags are great too.

99% of the time my high end commercial mummy bag was either too hot or not hot enough. My next purchase will be the USGI system because it can adjust to whatever conditions you find yourself in.

North Face. Down with a vapor barrier liner/Gore Tex bivy. Very light, very warm and you can tailor it to the conditions.

im leaning towards the big agnes. the kifaru and usgi look good too. im not a fan of buying the usgi used and i cant find it new and the kifaru is $400. dont get me wrong, i will spend the $400 if its worth it< but the big agne is half that price and looks pretty comfortable. i appreciate all the input and the help making my decision. please keep the advice comming!!! i have a colorado campimg trip comming up in a month

Wiggy's also makes good bags in the USA. Lifetime no BS guarantee. Modular system like mentioned above.

They use a proprietary filling that can be vaccuum packed without loss of loft.

madd0c

man, the wiggys looks great too, price and features look great, but the big agnes seems to have a pad under it which sounds pretty nice.

REI brand bags are awesome, and they don't cost as much as a Marmot or other higher end bags. I do a lot of backpacking and camping year round in Utah, Wyoming, Colorado etc, and they have kept me nice and comfortable. I have a +10 "Radiant" down bag I use for spring summer and fall camping and a -10 "Polar Pod" for winter stuff. A nice gortex bivy sac around the outside will give you added heat in a cooler bag if you don't want to by a bag for every season. There are also some pretty light and economical inserts that add 5 ish degrees to your bag as well.

Where in CO are you planning on going?
Here in the Aspen Valley its 45 degrees,wet,,light drizzle.

Synthetics can keep you warm when damp.
Down depending on model and manufacturer have the ability to compress to a small size.

Best thing is find a store,wear some shorts get in,all are cut differently and fit different.
Find one that gives you room to move.
Buy a good bag that doesn't fit and you won't sleep good.
I use a combo of a bivy,hammock or tent Mtn. Hardware 0 degree down bag. When backcountry skiing I add adown insert to bring the bag down to -20 rating.

Things that effect sleeping bags that you should consider
getting a good bivy
decent sleep pad
sleeping bag liner

Tenting? Cabin tent/cot?

Find a REI or EMS or other good backcountry store.

Mountain Hardware
North Face
Western Mountaineering
Feathered Friends
Slumberjack
LL Bean

You'll always be cold if you sleep on the ground...no matter the bag.
Get a good inflatable pad, the thicker the better. Since it will insulate you from the ground cold you don't have to go so extreme on bag ratings.

I think I have 5 or 6 bags from overkill to not enough, I won't go camping without a good pad.

BTW, the military ECWS (extreme cold weather system) bags are about as good as it gets. I have a North Face -20 (solar flare if I remember right) down bag and I would any day rather drag that heavy ECWS 20 miles than carry the North Face across the street.

+1 on a good pad, try to get a thermarest or the rei camp bed 2.5 or 3.5, they are both great pads, Im not sure if youll be backpacking or have access to a vehicle, but they tailor those pads to your needs.

Wiggy's is an awesome bag. A little heavier and bulkier than my down bags, but it works well and can get wet/damp and still keep you warm.

A sleeping pad is a must for sleeping on the ground. I just use a foam thermarest. They are lightweight and don't get holes in them. I also use it as a shooting mat and it works great especially in cold or other inclement weather.

Another idea I read in Ray Jardin's ultralight hiking books and have played with is to ditch the sleeping bag altogether and just use a down or synthetic comforter with sleeping pad (they make these comforters for hikers now).

The idea is that when you are in a sleeping bag you are flattening the bottom loft of the bag with your body weight so you don't get any insulation from it anyway. It's just extra material you have to carry around with you. With the comforter you use it just like you're in your bed at home. You can actually stay warmer because you can put more loft where it matters and the overlap of the comforter keeps drafts out in the tent. If you're camping with the significant other you can also stay warmer as you get 2X the body heat under it. The other plus is you don't have zippers to break and it's usually lighter and easier to compress into your pack.

wiggy makes a pad as well. om leaning towards their product. if i get their bag i will prabably get a paad from them as well. thanks so much for the advice and if anyone thinks of anything else, keep the thoughts comming

I've taken my Wiggy's all over the world on deployments, including Iraq and Afghanistan. Its durable, and it works. and its over 10 years old. You wont be disappointed.

Montbell makes an awsome bag, expecially if you are claustrophobic in a mummy style, which is the best style because it heats up fast and is lightweight. I have had Marmot, Sierra Designes & North Face bags in the past and they were great but the ONLY mummy I can sleep in is the Montbell sprial because it is the only bag on the market that has streach baffles in it that allows you to streach out a bit. Mountain Hardware had a simular bag called the "crazy legs" that was a rip-off on Montbell's design, they got sued over it and had to quit making it.

I picked up the current military sleeping system at a swap meet...Looked like new and got it for 75.00 bucks...I also picked up a used North Face sleeping bag that was thrown in the deal....The current mil. is a 3 part system that includes a gortex outer shell...Good stuff!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get one of these and you wont be disappointed. I got one with a air mattress that slips into the bottom of the bag. Un real how comfy it is. Also packs light and tight.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/SleepingBags </div></div>

+1 on that

I would suggest a Recon" bag, you can get them at extreme outfitters.com if you are not from the jacksonville, nc area. They sell recon 3, 4, and 5. Regardless of the rating system the 3 is comfortable down to abround 40f, the 4 is comfortable down to around 15f, and the 5 is comfortable down to around 0 to neg 10f. The 3 is around $120 not sure about the 4 and the 5 is $220. The bivvy sack for the system is only like $75. The 5 being the largest one is only 5 lbs and compresses to a 10" ball.
Compared to a traditional usmc issued bag wich is comfortable to abound the same temp but only compresses to around a 20" ball and weighs a wopping 13lbs beleive it or not. The recon system is well worth the money and very cheap too. The best one (5) is only 300 w/bivvy. Good deal. I used a 3 in afghanistan in 09 for 7 months and had no problems.
I apologize for sounding like a salesman but I do like the recon system, especially for the size, weight, warmth and money I gaurantee you cant beat it, trust me I spent weeks researching it before i deployed and came up with nothing close.

" I picked up the current military sleeping system at a swap meet...Looked like new and got it for 75.00 bucks...I also picked up a used North Face sleeping bag that was thrown in the deal....The current mil. is a 3 part system that includes a gortex outer shell...Good stuff! laugh"

<It is not a terrible system, but it is way too big and way too heavy, though it is very comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want something that is light, warm, and packs small and won't be abusing it (read: doesn't need to be made out of heavy, super-durable materials), Western Mountaineering makes the best sleeping bags that are available, period, as far as I have seen. They are not "tactical" and a 15 degree bag will run you about $400, more depending on options. Their "standard" 15 degree bag (Apache MF) weighs 2 pounds and fits in a stuff sack fatter but shorter than a loaf of bread.

The military system is durable, relatively inexpensive, and will get you down a lot colder than you need, but it's heavy and doesn't pack small. </div></div>

I second the Western Mountaineering. They are excellent bags.

I have washed my Wiggy's in the wash machine and dryer multiple times. It always comes out great. Many others would not hold up to machine washing.

well, i took my wiggy bag and pad camping and slept amazingly well under the stars of colorado. it was worth every penny and the quality was very impressive. thanks to everyone for their input! and thanks to Wiggys for making such a great product.

i am a big fan of the military issued 3 piece set, i haven't had any major problems with it. the one issue i did have was it being TOO warm, by i was using the heavy bag, and was in iraq, so it was not the gear's fault

You don't say much specific about your use if you'll be backpacking, or how many days in a row you'll be using the bag etc. or how important weight is etc.

Down is great and the western mountaineering bags are the ONLY bags I've used that for me when they say it's a 15 degree bag it is. Most other companies I've used you need to add 10-20 degrees to their temp ratings. Down is the lightest weight to warmth you can get and it's the most compressible.

However you cannot get down wet, it looses most of it's insulation factor when wet. If you are sleeping in a tent that's not bad, and some come with goretex shells now. However you sweating in the bag is also an issue especially over long trips. The more weather resistant covers like goretex etc. or bivy's don't let the bag breath as well so it holds more of the moisture your body gives off during the night. You can use a vapor barrier liner in the bag that will keep your body moisture from reaching the sleeping bag but essentially you are sleeping in a zip lock bag and you and whatever you are wearing will wake up wet
smile.gif

Usually that's not an issue, especially if you have good weather during the day and can dry the bag out, but if you get a long wet spell it can be an issue. Especially if you are too hot in the bag and sweat more.

If you don't need something super light and compressible (IE you are not doing multiple day backpack trips) IMO there are better options that using a down bag system. The synthetics won't compress as small, they won't be as light, but moisture build up is much less of a concern.

FWIW, all of my bags are now Marmot. Temp ratings are true and the bags are very high quality. They've been with me everywhere in pretty much all conditions.

My Wiggy is 11 years old. Been washed a bunch and still going strong. My dog chewed the zipper and they fixed it fast. Best bag I own.

North Face is great. However a Thermarest pad is needed for padding and to keep you warm. Best bet is to go to some backpacking stores, such as REI, and look at what they have for bags and pads. A bivy sack is a great addition.

Down is usually much better than synthetics...lasts longer, packs tighter, lighter.

Check out Wiggy's. They are in Grand Junction, Co. They came up with the modular system that the Seals use. The bag will keep you warm even when it is wet. Check it out, I sold them in my store and had excellent results.

I have a western mountainering that is 25 years old and has been slept in hundreds of nights. It's getting a little thin but is still alive.

I also like the military sleep system, but I have broken a zipper on one and seen a few others with crapped out zippers.

I have a couple of wiggy's but have not really used them much. You can get them vacume packed for a survival bag.

I probably have 12 sleeping bags of many flavors including everything from a snugpak up to a feather friends thats good to -40. It seems I mostly use my medium weight 25 year old WM or the military sleep system.

Glad you like your Wiggy's--which was my recommendation. USGI has come a long way. They have always been rugged, but are now better--especially the modular/layered systems now in use. The Thermarest inflatable pad is awesome for keeping you comfortable and off the ground.

I am with Heatseekins on this one. I am 6'4" 240 ( on a good day) and my Big Agnes bag is great. I actually have two one for cold and one for colder. With the pad inserted I sleep great and warm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am with Heatseekins on this one. I am 6'4" 240 ( on a good day) and my Big Agnes bag is great. I actually have two one for cold and one for colder. With the pad inserted I sleep great and warm. </div></div>

One of the nice things about Wiggy is they come in different sizes. I'm 6'1" and weight 220. Many bags are to tight through the shoulders and a tight bag is a cold bag because it compresses the insulation. When I bought my bag back in the 90s they told me at Wiggy's to buy it large and to sleep with little on. I tested it by putting a pad directly on some snow and sleeping outside my cabin at the 8000' level in late March. Worked like a charm. I thought I would end up running inside during the night but I sept great. The larger bag falls around your body and conforms to your position and it sounds funny but it keeps you warmer.

+1 For Big Agnes. I have a Hog Park model and it's the most comfortable bag ever. Have been tent camping for over 40 years and this bag is great. I don't necessarily need the over-sized model, but it lets me move and roll without cutting off blood flow to other parts of my body.

All bags have come a long way since the early Sears & Roebuck models we started with in the 60s.

Having a good sleeping bag is critical if you want to stay comfortable and sleep well. Firstly, given that my locale is in the great white north, we do things to the extreme from a sleeping bag perspective however the principles are the same. Here are some points to consider:

1. Layers. Purchase two sleeping bags in a progressively colder rating. If it is very warm, you use the lightest, slightly colder; use the other and double up for the coldest conditions. Allows you to pack accordingly and not haul dead weight. It also gives you the widest range of coverage.

2. Bivy Bag. I consider this a must have. I use a issue goretex bivy bag as the outer layer. Keeps moisture out, provides another layer to your sleeping bag set up and in a snap, keeps you dry if it rains or the tent leaks.

3. Head cover. When it starts getting cold, your breath because a problem because of moisture. If you sleep with your head inside your sleeping bag, you will wake up wet. You need to keep your face ie nose and mouth outside the bag. Consider purchasing a balaclava that is designed with a long shoulder area vice stopping at the base of your neck. This will keep your head warm, and allow you to seal off the sleeping back around your head and neck in a mummy bag. A great deal of heat is lost as you move around in the bag and pump warm air out via the top of the sleeping bag. Organize yourself so you are comfortable, your head/neck is warm, your face is outside the bag and you have sealed off the bag to stop air escaping. This step alone can mean the difference from a warm comfy night...to being cold and uncomfortable.

4. Sleeping pad. Often overlooked. Getting a proper pad is essential, it keeps you from loosing heat through the ground. When I am in the high arctic, I have a close cell pad on the ground, and put my thermarest pad inside my bivy bag so that I can not roll off of it.

5. Sleeping bag material. Our issue bag here up north is down. It works great in the arctic...but once it is wet, it is useless. I was on exchange in the UK in November and spent the most miserable exercise of my life in the field. I was wet from the beginning of the ex until the end. After that, I purchased a synthetic bag and never looked back.

I personally use Wiggy's bags and well as snugpak and arktis light weigh bags. Both of these UK companies have outstanding lighter bags designed for jungle or wet conditions. They also have reinforcements in the feet for use with all your clothes on. I have never done that in North America but have in the UK and Afghanistan.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Jeff