• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Question about effects of mirage

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I was at the range Saturday trying to get scope settings for a new load. The mirage was some of the worst I've seen, and at 400 yards, two shots (I wasn't going for group) could have a vertical dispersion of several inches. This is from a rifle that is consistently sub-MOA at 400+ yards.

The scope was set on 20X.

The question then is: Can mirage have such a drastic effect? I don't have a lot of confidence in the scope settings I recorded past 250 yards.

Thank you,
Richard

In a word. Yes. Mirage is bending of the light between you, & the target. This gives the impression that the target is moving, which it's not, therefor your point of aim moves off the actual position of the target. I tend to call it target displacement.
I have seen mirage cause a target to move more than 2 moa back, & forth with the breeze, in direct sun. Set your rifle up, & bag it in on target in the early morning, & watch what the target does when the mirage starts running. You may be surprised.

Thank you for that information. I remember reading about target displacement; I just did not realize that it could be so pronounced.

It sounds as though another trip to the range early in the day will be necessary to double-check the settings I recorded.

Richard

You will find the best time for load development and testing is early in the mornings when its calm and cooler

About shooting in mirage. It seems to me that mirage "boils away". What that means to me is that I never chase it. For example, if it is going up and right, I simply find the lowest position to the left that the bull shows up and wait for it to come back.
I am an entirely untrained field shooter. Guys like Rob and Frank, as well as online training can more correctly address this. Lower scope power may reduce the apparent effect as well.
RTH