• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question about fixing a chip in an AR upper

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
Hey everyone,

I got a C7 retro upper from Brownell's and when they shipped it, a chunk got taken out of the forward assist area. I would like to fix it if possible because Brownell's customer service has yet to respond about this, and a lot of reviews mention how oftentimes the receiver is out of spec and won't fit on people's lowers. This one fits fine, so a maimed bird in the hand...

Attached are some pics:

This is only for range fun, I don't care about aesthetics, but I don't know if this will be a problem later on.

Questions:

1. I have the little piece that chipped off. Could I JB weld that sucker back on?

2. Would it be better to just fill in the chipped area with JB weld or similar and sand/grind it down later?

3. Just ignore it, spray paint it because it won't most likely cause any future problems?

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

• upper divot.jpg
    upper divot.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 212
  • upper divot 2.jpg
    upper divot 2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 212
  • upper divot 3.jpg
    upper divot 3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 185
Did you just send an email or did you call them? Email means you don't care about when they respond.

How did you pay for it? If with a credit card report the item is damaged and refuse the payment.

The short answer is yes it can be patched but not fixed. Well, maybe. It's not a structural component. Maybe somebody is really good with welding can build it up and then reshape it and maybe a little behind it or Dura coated

Hey everyone,

I got a C7 retro upper from Brownell's and when they shipped it, a chunk got taken out of the forward assist area. I would like to fix it if possible because Brownell's customer service has yet to respond about this, and a lot of reviews mention how oftentimes the receiver is out of spec and won't fit on people's lowers. This one fits fine, so a maimed bird in the hand...

Attached are some pics:

This is only for range fun, I don't care about aesthetics, but I don't know if this will be a problem later on.

Questions:

1. I have the little piece that chipped off. Could I JB weld that sucker back on?

2. Would it be better to just fill in the chipped area with JB weld or similar and sand/grind it down later?

3. Just ignore it, spray paint it because it won't most likely cause any future problems?

Thanks,
Greg

No JB weld. No paint. Black oxide for color. Spray paint is succeptable to heat unless you use the engine grade, but u should be able to get a military grade oxide coating cheap.

As far as the chip, find a TIG welding shop and it should be cake to fix. Instead of JB weld, if you go that route use steel stick. By the same company. Its steel impregnated JB weld. But i wouldnt do that. Get u a welder to fix it. One little zap

No JB weld. No paint. Black oxide for color. Spray paint is succeptable to heat unless you use the engine grade, but u should be able to get a military grade oxide coating cheap.

As far as the chip, find a TIG welding shop and it should be cake to fix. Instead of JB weld, if you go that route use steel stick. By the same company. Its steel impregnated JB weld. But i wouldnt do that. Get u a welder to fix it. One little zap

Id charge 20 bucks and it would take about 5 min. Now, if you have a sample of the metal he would be welding, it would be great to have a piece with which to dial in his machine.

Its 7075 T6 aluminum. Thats what the welder will want to know. Tells him what type of filler rod to use and how to tune his machine. He can probably just fill it and sand it out. Hit the spot with tool black or black oxide. There was this shit they used to finish M16s with that would work. Ask one of the Vietnam Vets what its. Called. It smelled like shit.

Reactions: 338dude
Being a man who could

I agree. Im an avionics welder and have a pretty nice machine and id still rather have it replaced
Just for the sake of conversation if you were going to perform that repair you would heat sink the rest of the part but it is rather close to the threading. Youd have to sink it inside and out and have those threads covered. I forgot about that.

Welded repair is gonna show more than any other type, short of anodizing the upper again.
If you're not too particular about the cosmetics, a drop of cyanoacrylate and a black sharpie around the edges.

Otherwise, I'd send it back and get what ya paid for...

Not structural, but not what you paid for. Since you can't call until Monday I'd expect a replacement to ship Tuesday. They should send return shipping, also.

Can't believe all this talk about repairing. Sure it can be done but why? Send it back. Like someone above said, you don't even have to call but you might get a replacement on the way sooner by calling. And if it's out of spec, send it back too. I've never had any problem w/ Brownells making good on damaged stuff.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Apparently fixing it is a bit farther down the rabbit hole than I would like to go. Interesting discussion on how to do it though.

i'll call Brownell's on monday. Happy 4th.

Return for replacement.

My question is how do you chip an upper like that????

Even the worst packing surely cannot result in a chip like that? Not without exigent circumstances.

Uppers just don’t chip like that!! I’d be worried that it is a pos die casting with metallurgical issues and make darn sure the new one is not from the same lot. Even a casting should not chip like that... not if it was poured and cooled right.

Anyone else having that same reaction?

return it!

Sirhr

I’ve seen M4s burn in during airborne ops that didn’t chip like that. Seems like a cheap item to chance your face or hands with. I’d return it and get a new one

Return for replacement.

Even the worst packing surely cannot result in a chip like that? Not without exigent circumstances.

Uppers just don’t chip like that!! I’d be worried that it is a pos die casting with metallurgical issues and make darn sure the new one is not from the same lot. Even a casting should not chip like that... not if it was poured and cooled right.

return it!

Sirhr

" a pos die casting with metallurgical issues" (y)(y)(y)(y)

Return for replacement.

return it!

Sirhr

I don't know. It was laying in the bottom of the box with a 12 inch barrel with a front sight/gas block that was lightly wrapped. But they put a lot of packing paper above them to protect from the cardboard top? Not the greatest packing job I've seen...

I suspect that it was a combination of suspect metallurgy plus getting hit right on the end of the forward assist area with the heavy barrel..

It's a cheap part just swap parts with Brownells. There's no reason to go through the trouble of fixing it.

Yes, I called them and they emailed me a return label through UPS. Super easy to deal with.

Had to order another one that just got shipped. Painless as long as the new one doesn't have fitment issues like some prior reviewers posted.

Thanks everyone for your input.

So just a heads up. These C7 uppers they are blowing out are hands down the worst uppers I have ever seen. I'm talking Vulcan/Hesse bad. There is a reason they are stupid cheap. Take a look at the carry handle and one side will be much thicker than the other.

IMO stay away from brownells branded uppers/lowers, even if they are Nodak forges. They have been consistently putting out really bad product for the last couple years.

Sharkarms is also a good source for colt parts.

If you are dead set on a retro receiver, go through nodak directly. The fact that brownells would sell this garbage knowing how bad it is, just tells you all you need to know about them.

You can get a colt a1 parts kit or stripped parts, there is really no reason not to. Centerfire has A1 parts kits for $300. Hard to beat for colt quality even if they are used and banged up, they still function great. The Colt full auto BCG is worth $150/200 alone.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic