• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question about ladder test and charge weight for .308

PRScustom

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2011
Ok, so the other day I went out to the range and shot my first ladder test with my first reloads; here are the results and test gear.

Rifle: Savage FCP-K -10 .308 with 24" barrel
Bullet: 175 gr SMK
Brass: Lapua 308, large primer
Primer: Federal 210M
Powder: Varget
Loaded to touching the lands at 2.228 from the ojive. Shot at 300 yrds.

As you can see shots 8-10 are great that powder range was 44.9gr-45.3 moving up in .2 increments.

So my question is should I keep that or look for something with a higher powder charge?

I have loaded up a batch that went from 45gr-47.4gr in .2 increments to try again and see if there was a node with a higher powder charge. But after looking at the reloading depot 45gr of Varget seems to be around the higher end. I figured I would not get to 47 because I would probably see to much pressure but I loaded them anyway because the range is far away. I am loading for complete accuracy. I shoot in tactical moving target competitions out to 1000 yrds, and I have space out in the desert to shoot over a mile which I am working up to (1,400 so far). I have been using match factory ammo, but just started reloading.

So should I stick with the 45gr of Varget or take the higher load batch out and try for a higher powder charge?

The only thing I didn't bring with me was a chrono so I don't know the FPS, but based upon my factory loads and these I would say they are in the 2700 fps range.

Thanks for any help and advice, -Matt

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 23
I "run" 44.7 Varget, behind a 168 SMK, at 2.96 Oal, for my 5R. Your 8-11 shots look like a good "spot" to be in. I'd stick with that. Also,{some guys don't like it"} Try a little slower load, for accuracy, and not "speed". I found a "node", for my gun, that surprised me. 37.3 Viht 135, behind a 168, at 2.96. My gun likes 2.96, 2+-K, off the lands. The load "runs at app. {can't find my book} SLOW, but it's the "Most accurate" load for me to date. Drills little holes. I "ran for speed", when I started. Now I look for "accurate". The Viht load, though lite, hits. If you're "hunting", and looking for knock down Ft.LBS. of energy, OK, but I'm just shooting paper. A "little slower", is easier on my brass, gun, and shoulder.

I knew that higher velocity normally degrades accuracy so that's why I wasn't sure if I should go any higher with the test. I just wanted to make sure I would have enough ummph to get out to a mile or so when I go to the desert.
Any other thoughts, suggestions?

I just did the ladder test last weekend and some groupings this morning. My sweet range was 44.4-44.7. Sweet spot ended up being 44.6 gr.

8-11 is where I would start if I was you.

Ryan

Maybe try this recipe that Brad uses.
Hodgdon Varget 43.0 Russian 175 SMK Lapua 2610 fps Brad Sauve F-TR Match Load, .018" Jump

That sounds like the right amount of varget to me.