• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question about lidar and wind scanners.

Re: Question about lidar and wind scanners.

You really need to fill out your profile.

How will answers vary from completing profile?
smile.gif

Near as I can tell, you are outside of the USA with a .ru email address.

ELR shooting, LIDAR, laser wind scanning.....

I'll give you 3 guesses why completing your profile will have an impact on answers you'll get.

I have experience with LIDAR, but for 3D scene reconstruction, not shooting.

Interested in various scanning the atmosphere, "to see" the status and movement of air masses at a distance.
Possible to the PM
smile.gif

LIDAR needs to reflect off of surfaces, giving distance to the point of intersection. It's essentially a raycast from an origin point within a field of view that generates ray intersection points within the frustum. In simple terms it generates clouds of points in 3d space where the laser reflects. It can be done on changing geometry, but it's a serious pain (ie the Radiohead video we did back in 2008) as there is no data coherence from sample to sample. Moreover, atmosphere will likely refract the laser instead of reflect, therefore I can't see it (in its current state) work for capturing wind currents.

One way that the atmosphere can be sampled and analyzed is the Adaptive Optics method used by astronomers. This takes a powerful laser exciting molecules in the upper atmosphere to reveal their fluid motion, which is translated to a complex series of mirrors that distorts the lens of the telescope to mitigate the effect of the atmosphere on optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

One way that the atmosphere can be sampled and analyzed is the Adaptive Optics method used by astronomers. This takes a powerful laser exciting molecules in the upper atmosphere to reveal their fluid motion, which is translated to a complex series of mirrors that distorts the lens of the telescope to mitigate the effect of the atmosphere on optics. </div></div>

Its starting to sound to hard ! think Ill stick with the wet finger in the air method