• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Mk12 buttstock choice.

BadAtGuns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2014
I'm torn between a standard A2 stock and the magpul PRS stock. Does anyone have any experience with both on a mk12 mod 1 platform?

I've done some research and people say the A2 stock is fine because the PRS stock is too heavy. But does the lightness of the A2 stock make the gun awkwardly front heavy if it has a bipod and foregrip?

Thanks.

I have used both A2s, PRSs, and SOPMOD stocks on precision ARs.

My .308 has a tall monolithic rail on top and I can only get comfortable with the PRS. The PRS is ugly, heavy, and just all around not that great of a stock for positional shooting---but its great in the prone. The A2 is much lighter than the PRS, but not as comfortable---and significantly heavier than carbine stocks. The SOPMOD has a nice feeling cheek, but the shape of the stock doesn't lend itself to use with a sandbag and the latch is in the way. My .308 will keep the PRS because of the scope height, however my other precision ARs I am now using Magpul CTRs because of the weight and the fact that she latch is out of the way of sandbags. Its also nice to sometimes hook through the A-frame shape with my thumb if shooting in unconventional positions/barricades.

I prefer the Vltor EMod stock to the SOPMOD, as the latch is out of the way and the storage compartment works well with a bag.

Reactions: MarkBlue
I have used the shorter A1, A2 the standard SOPMOD and the PRS, I stayed with the A2. If you want adjustability on that set up, you may want to look at the new offering from LMT (DMR556) A buddy has one that I got to check out. My initial reaction was "Brilliant"

DMR556 - Buttstocks - Parts

I've tried them all and because I have short arms have settled on the SOPMOD for flexibility of use with and without armor. It balances just fine and has the best cheek weld going and I'm using the 22H rings at 1.45" height over the rail. Problem is you'll never know until you try them all.

Either buy from someone with an excellent return policy or do like I do and resell anything you can't use in the classifieds for a reasonable price.

Man I like the LOP of the A1 but I love the QD points of the newer magpuls etc. Currently I'm using the fixed carbine stock with A3 buffer on my 18" and 20" SPR type uppers. I do wish the fixed carbine was .5" longer for perfect fit. But it's light and works fine for now.

Last edited:
Sounds like A2 is the most loved. Any suggestions on which one to get? I have long arms so the longer the better.

Reactions: Rock42
+1 for LMT sopmod, I used it, I loved it. Light weight, adjustable LOP, and affordable. Only thing is there are some shooters who can't get a really decent cheek weld due to the height and varying facial structures.

I've used the A1 as issued on the Mod 0 but it wouldn't give me enough checkweld unless I got crazy with the duct tape. When I got the Mod 1 I switched to the PSR. It is heavy but proper sight picture is important also it balances nice with the can on. I think I have a picture somewhere of my mk12 Mod 1 Ill see if I can find it.

Reactions: jd138
Computers are hard...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 718
Reactions: jd138 and pmclaine
LMT SOPMOD stock!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DING!

SOPMOD is really the stock that all others are judged by, and half of the ones out there are loose or close rip offs. The orgional LMT or a B5 SOPMOD is the best non fixed stock for precision/Mk12 build. The Bravo stock for CQB/Carbine guns.

The A2 is a great stock if you don't have Trex arms and don't plan to clear rooms with your MK12. Its probally the most consitant as you can shoot NTCH or easily build up a cheek rest to get a good cheek weld with your optic of choice.

The PRS is cool, but its heavy and the design prevents you from getting the propper cheek weld/ Eye Relief (charging handle clearence). I religate them to big heavy Semi's that you don't plan on running around with. They are for stationary guns.

I like the sopmod a lot, but I ended up moving it to my Ruger SR-556e with acog on top. Works great there as a dmr kind of setup.

My mk12's both have a2's on them now. On the mod 1, I drilled the stock and epoxied in a grovetec threaded flush cup for the sling. I placed the flush cup in about the same position as the KAC m110 stock's cup.

you might try the magpul fixed stocks... I really want to try the fixed MOE rifle stock on one of my builds.

Last edited:
I'm running a Mission First Tactical Battlelink. One of the more comfortable stocks I've shouldered and for all the great features it's incredibly light. Lighter even then Magpul's ACS-L and still has storage. Good cheek weld and can even add an adjustable cheek piece for minimal cost and weight.

I run the Magpul UBR on my mk12 clone. I like it over the A2 stock I ran prior. Just personal preference.

Greg

If you're going for a correct spec for a MK12 it would either be A2 or Sopmod stock. I went with the A2 stock on my rifle

Reactions: Alaska
If I were bothering to do a Mk 12 build, and not just a "precision whatever I like AR," I would use one of the spec options- SOPMOD, A1, or A2. Otherwise, why bother calling it a Mk 12?

LMT SOPMOD with the S.A.P.R. from battleline industries. I'm running it on my MK12 Recce now.

I put together a MK 12 Mod 0 in 2010 after seeing one in OIF 2 in Bagdad
i have several different stocks on it over the years like the M4 SOPMOD to A5 setup and A2.
currently I use a Mag Pul PRS stock with a Kynshot rifle buffer and geissel 42 rifle spring
great smooth sets up great for second and third shot excellent level low recoil recovery after shot! Adds a little weight but that helps in recoil. When the MK 12 first introduced by Crane it was just a upper with different lower A2 and M4. A lot of operators chose M4 with the full auto selector, later a full package was introduce. My MK12 is my favorite and use it often for Caribou hunting with 70gr TSX Barnes and IMR 8208 and TAC.

Last edited:
This is a way back post. 😂 I was about to respond when I realized I already did...7 years ago. 🤣

All that said, three deployments later (that stock has some miles on her), I’d still take the PRS over the A1.

BD0E3CC9-ABFB-47BE-8AA3-E9D26076B359.jpeg
^PRS on the Mk12 MOD 1

1B2A4AC3-C39F-40DA-9127-6AC2032642F5.jpeg

^PRS living the M110 life (I don’t know where my Mk12 was for that trip)

2966E6B9-A652-4C7B-B9DA-E1BCE5731507.jpeg

^(obvy not the mk20)

Not having an adjustable stock on a precision gas gun is just a no go. Sure an A1/2 might fit someone but it ain’t me. We turned in the last 4 of our Mk12s in early 2018 (I hid them for as long as I could 😢) and only 1 was wearing an A1.
I will say I liked the CTR w/ LaRue RISS, that gets me perfect for a 1.54” or 1.7” mount. That’s what I manly rock now a days, obviously not a Mk12 but if I still had one and wanted to keep her slim...

060C8F6F-0693-4D2A-B136-E1B0DEFA70EA.jpeg

Edit: I lot of folks fret about cloning shit, here’s the deal, while yes these guns may have came from Crane in a certain configuration, any sniper worth their salt probably modified their shit to some degree. Sometimes that’s a just a paint job, sometimes depending on you unit...well...sky’s the limit.

What’s important is here is no operator was switching out an A1 for some Tapco/CAA bargain bin bullshit. Nobody is swapping Nightforces and Leupolds for Vortex PSTs or whatever piece of shit you had lying around. Any mods made, were made for the enhancement of the system. You have to remember that in the early years of GWOT there wasn’t a lot of options but as we’ve progressed, selected items were fielded or purchased as needed. When certain aspects of the systems advanced, we advanced them at an individual or team levels.

At the end of the day if you going to clone that shit and you want to mod something from the original specs, go for it but it better be in the spirit of how it was actually done.

Last edited:
This is a way back post. 😂 I was about to respond when I realized I already did...7 years ago. 🤣

All that said, three deployments later (that stock has some miles on her), I’d still take the PRS over the A1.

View attachment 7597456^PRS on the Mk12 MOD 1

View attachment 7597460

View attachment 7597475
^(obvy not the mk20)

Not having an adjustable stock on a precision gas gun is just a no go. Sure an A1/2 might fit someone but it ain’t me. We turned in the last 4 of our Mk12s in early 2018 (I hid them for as long as I could 😢) and only 1 was wearing an A1.
I will say I liked the CTR w/ LaRue RISS, that gets me perfect for a 1.54” or 1.7” mount. That’s what I manly rock now a days, obviously not a Mk12 but if I still had one and wanted to keep her slim...

View attachment 7597476

Edit: I lot of folks fret about cloning shit, here’s the deal, while yes these guns may have came from Crane in a certain configuration, any sniper worth their salt probably modified their shit to some degree. Sometimes that’s a just a paint job, sometimes depending on you unit...well...sky’s the limit.

What’s important is here is no operator was switching out an A1 for some Tapco/CAA bargain bin bullshit. Nobody is swapping Nightforces and Leupolds for Vortex PSTs or whatever piece of shit you had lying around. Any mods made, were made for the enhancement of the system. You have to remember that in the early years of GWOT there wasn’t a lot of options but as we’ve progressed, selected items were fielded or purchased as needed. When certain aspects of the systems advanced, we advanced them at an individual or team levels.

At the end of the day if you going to clone that shit and you want to mod something from the original specs, go for it but it better be in the spirit of how it was actually done.

I was in OIF 2 in Bagdad as the 5 BCT Force Protection NCOIC for Falcon. 0 penetration in my 1 year tour ..........we had a lot of Indirect and drive by attacks, but we had like 2 and 3 layers of defense at entry points and 16 towers around FOB. We had a good defense. We didn’t have enough of M24 to issue so we had M14 and PSL.
Red Team 98 Out !
245E6E4E-FC71-41EF-9F55-10066B2D00C1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95

View attachment 7597456^PRS on the Mk12 MOD 1

View attachment 7597460

View attachment 7597475
^(obvy not the mk20)

View attachment 7597476

Bit of a necromancer post, but oh well.

Rudy, is that you in the pics with the mod1?

I sold all my clone glass and decided to change my mod 1 up. Going to do a copycat build of that mod 1 with the PRS and m5a2 leupy.
I have the m5a2 on my m24 now, only thing I still need is the OBR mount. Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Most of the reason MK 12 had Collapse stock
Was because they preferred M4 lowers with auto fire and not the 3 shot burst . I have had both A2 fixed and LMT Sopmod collasplable to the A5 Vltor and Magpul PRS. Today after 10 years my Mod 0 has the A2 stock on it. I really like my Leupold TS30 2.5x8 Mark 4 fits the 5.56 perfect. The first versions of the MK 12 were just uppers only and soldiers retrofit their M4. Then crane eventually used retired A2 and converted the whole weapon system with better triggers first was Badger 2 stage until a accident then went to SSA triggers which was a great change. Love my MK 12 Mod 0
RedTeam98 out !

Last edited:
Reactions: Charger442
I'm torn between a standard A2 stock and the magpul PRS stock. Does anyone have any experience with both on a mk12 mod 1 platform?

I've done some research and people say the A2 stock is fine because the PRS stock is too heavy. But does the lightness of the A2 stock make the gun awkwardly front heavy if it has a bipod and foregrip?

Thanks.
A1 type D was the first ones used albeit shortly as the supply of what was on hand and preference change etc.. Also is the best size of the fixed stocks imho

I have tried a few different fixed options on mine: a Milspec A2, Lancer LCS Carbon Fiber A2, and an ASC EFX A1 stock. So far my favorite has been the ASC A1 at only $40.
ASC A1.png

I don't have photos of my rig, but this was my inspiration:
8220180470_7bebf334fd_b.jpg

I've tried them all and because I have short arms have settled on the SOPMOD for flexibility of use with and without armor. It balances just fine and has the best cheek weld going and I'm using the 22H rings at 1.45" height over the rail. Problem is you'll never know until you try them all.

Either buy from someone with an excellent return policy or do like I do and resell anything you can't use in the classifieds for a reasonable price.
If yours is a Mod 0 they used Med ARMS rings with swan rail if yours is Mod 1 they used High Rings.

Bit of a necromancer post, but oh well.

Rudy, is that you in the pics with the mod1?

I sold all my clone glass and decided to change my mod 1 up. Going to do a copycat build of that mod 1 with the PRS and m5a2 leupy.
I have the m5a2 on my m24 now, only thing I still need is the OBR mount. Shouldn't be too hard to find one.
Yes, that is me.

Most of the reason MK 12 had Collapse stock
Was because they preferred M4 lowers with auto fire and not the 3 shot burst . I have had both A2 fixed and LMT Sopmod collasplable to the A5 Vltor and Magpul PRS. Today after 10 years my Mod 0 has the A2 stock on it. I really like my Leupold TS30 2.5x8 Mark 4 fits the 5.56 perfect. The first versions of the MK 12 were just uppers only and soldiers retrofit their M4. Then crane eventually used retired A2 and converted the whole weapon system with better triggers first was Badger 2 stage until a accident then went to SSA triggers which was a great change. Love my MK 12 Mod 0
RedTeam98 out !
I’ve never seen a Mk12 with a 3 round burst configuration. Everyone I’ve ever seen was built of M16A1 lowers.

I am like 99% sure everyone wanted carbine buttstock because they’re adjustable and chick dig them. 😅

What did you take that scope off of? Your own personal larue obr mount and aimpoint combo?
The optic was from an XM2010 prototype that I procured on my self. It was a tad big for a Mk12 but that optic lived between my Mk12, Mk13 and XM107 (just different zero settings between rifles) which was the reason I had it in the Larue QD mount. Hands down one of the better options at the time, FFP H58, locking/capped turrets, +30 MRAD of elevation and a nice eye box with great clarity unlike the other MK4 optics 🙄 that thing blows the shit out of anything fielded at the time.

Reactions: shlouf and FatBoy
The optic was from an XM2010 prototype that I procured on my self. It was a tad big for a Mk12 but that optic lived between my Mk12, Mk13 and XM107 (just different zero settings between rifles) which was the reason I had it in the Larue QD mount. Hands down one of the better options at the time, FFP H58, locking/capped turrets, +30 MRAD of elevation and a nice eye box with great clarity unlike the other MK4 optics 🙄 that thing blows the shit out of anything fielded at the time.
finally got around to finishing it and getting it painted. the aimpoint tube mount is on backorder, so that will get added eventually

TnVoxFu.jpg