• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Question about Red Dot for SIG P226

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
So I just sent out my slide to TSD Combat Systems to get it milled and have a red dot installed.

From the reviews I saw I decided on the Docter III intstead of the Trijicon RMR because it seems like they really beefed up the housing on the new model and it has relatively clear glass instead of the blue tint on the RMR which I find annoying. On top of that it is 150 bucks cheaper.

Anyway, what I want to decide on is the dot size of the Docter. They offer a 3.5 MOA and 7.0 MOA versions. This will be my first red dot. When shooting rifles, I prefer thinner reticles in my scopes. Right now I think I want to go with the smaller 3.5 MOA but am concerned about one thing. These Docters were made for rifles and piggyback on other optics like an ACOG where you typically hold them closer to your face. Since this is going on a handgun, it will be farther away. Will the 3.5 MOA be too small?

Speed is not a requirement for me. I don't do any handgun competitions but I enjoy shooting at steel at 50-100 yards. I also have good eyesight. But please tell me if I'm reaching and the 3.5 MOA will be way too small for a handgun.

Any suggestions which size dot to pick?

I also have a SIG P226 that I run in a few Suarez International classes. Same Owner as TSD and One Source Tactical.

I shot SI instructor Dan Choi's TSD RMR Glock 19 with the smaller dot and I had no issues picking up the dot. That was in full sun on an open law enforcement range.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Padom, that's exactly the type of answer I was looking for! Even better that an instructor carries the smaller MOA dot. I was scared doing the math in my head...3.5 MOA looks decent size above an ACOG sitting 3 inches away from my eye but moving it 1.5 feet it could appear 6x smaller. That had me somewhat concerned.

Hi guys, long time lurking but just signed up when i read this thread. Do you mind posting some photos of your TSD setup on your Sig's? Besides the TSD website i can only find photos of glocks with red dots for some reason.

image.jpg

Not a great pic but it's my 226 scorpion elite with rmr (3.5). I really, really like it. Mark Housel from L&M precision did a great job and worked with me on a very tight timeline.

Suppressor height night sight in the bottom 1/3 are also great. No complaints here.

That looks great. I appreciate the photo. I will be sending mine off shortly. I think i'll go with the docter lll for the slim profile on the slide.

View attachment 17961

Not a great pic but it's my 226 scorpion elite with rmr (3.5). I really, really like it. Mark Housel from L&M precision did a great job and worked with me on a very tight timeline.

Suppressor height night sight in the bottom 1/3 are also great. No complaints here.

Do you have any more pics? Any from Therese of the slide?

Thanks

eternal24k said:
Do you have any more pics? Any from Therese of the slide?

Perhaps these will help.

With Black steel sights
SIG229 Equinox - a set on Flickr

With Tritium sights.
SIG P226 RMR Install - a set on Flickr

Yes, the overall shape of the sight is different. The Black steel suppressor sights were specially made for the SIG/XD dovetail for use on the XD slide to eliminate the forward overhang and provide the required height.
The original Tritium sights overhang the front a lot and are trimmed back to clear the RMR. The newer style Tritium sights eliminate the forward overhang.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8302/7943294364_2f82266d41.jpg This illustrates the difference in the Tritium (old style) and the black steel suppressor sights for the SIG/XD dovetail.

The Docter-3 being narrower pretty much eliminates the side overhang of the optic. The locking screws require access through holes bored through the rear sight as has been done for the earlier Docter and other models with locking screws (e.g. Leupold Deltapoint, Burris FF-2).

Burris FF-2 from sometime in 2010....
Burris FastFire II - a set on Flickr