• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Question about stocks

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
I am interested in getting into F T/R in the future, and I have noticed that there seems to be little variation in stocks. Can anyone tell me why? What would be the disadvantage in using an AICS stock or similar? Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know, Bruno's has have a bunch of stocks, I work right around the corner from them. I have handled all manner of stocks there, literally dozens. McMillan "A" stocks were the lightest to me at least if you throw out the hunting Remington style. McMillan Prone model was the nicest by far but pretty heavy when comparing to a McMillan "Ax" thumb Hole stock or an A5.

The requirement is 18.2 pounds or there about, look it up. The AICS is just some plastic skin over an aluminum block. An AICS equipped gun with a heavy "tactical" scope, Harris bi-pod and 24" barrel will come in about 16 pounds. Now start swapping lighter scopes and slimmer contour barrels and weight is just a non issue. In fact I went up to an M24 contour barrel to add weight. Weight is good.

I don't believe weight is the issue with "tactical" stocks. I think it is considered just bad form to use a "tactical" stock whatever that is. A stock is just a stock to me man. If you can make the weight use what you are conformable with. It may give you an advantage. Who knows. AICS is pretty serious stuff.

This is target shooting, you are looking for a lot of the same things that a bench rest shooter looks for, that said, the rifle I shot in 2011 and 2013 and backup rifle, that I shot in the FCWC is in a McM A5.

What you want is a stock that rides the rear bag well, has a grip and cheek that you like, and holds the action and bipod and makes weight. Beyond that it's all looks.

First of all , you're going to want a stock that rides a rear bag well. I'm not sure an AICS will do that. As a matter of fact, I got rid of my Manners T4A, because it had the hook . It didn't ride the bag well. I spent more time looking at its position in the bag, rather than shooting. Check out Mcmillan's F class stocks , Manners F class, Bobby Hart, shehane as well.