• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Question about the Atlas CAL

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I have switched over to the CAL bipod on all my rifles and really like it. However I would like to be able to have the cant lever have a little more modulation. Both of my CALs are either too loose or locked out, the lever is more like an on / off rather than being able to add tension. I understand this is probably by design hence the name “Cant and Lock”.

I am wondering if anyone has any sort of modification they are doing to allow it to be a tension lever as opposed to a lock lever. I have yet to disassemble the lever to look into it myself and before I did I thought I would ask.

I think a longer lever would help in that regard but I don’t know if anyone makes them.

If you take off the lever, there is a separate nut that you can adjust that will refine the tension you're able to put on the lever. Worked great for me.
    This does work to add tension but the lever on my Cal as stated above is either loose or dead stop and you really need to reef on the lever to get it tight, almost to the point I think the lever might break. Have the KMW Podlock on other bipods and they gradually tighten until the cant is locked.

This does work to add tension but the lever on my Cal as stated above is either loose or dead stop and you really need to reef on the lever to get it tight, almost to the point I think the lever might break. Have the KMW Podlock on other bipods and they gradually tighten until the cant is locked.
    Yeah this is what I'm looking for...

I may try and disassemble it and see if I can either replace a flat washer with a belleville washer or maybe just add one. Or maybe a fiber washer as opposed to medal...

Yeah this is what I'm looking for...

I may try and disassemble it and see if I can either replace a flat washer with a belleville washer or maybe just add one. Or maybe a fiber washer as opposed to medal...
    I took mine apart and took out the brass washer and replaced it with a 1/8" thick x 3/4" diameter nylon washer and it seems to help, has a little more play when tightening, still not as much as my other Podlocks but better. Almost seems like the lever was bottoming out on the bolt holding everything together, the nylon washer is still pretty hard maybe a washer that's not quite as dense, some sort of thin rubber washer under the brass washer?

Yep mines the same way. Needs to a bit more adjustment in them rather than completely loose or kinda tight and to get it tight you really have to torque on it to the point you think your going to break the lever.

Same problem here. Keep us posted on any solutions.

I took my lever off and tightened the screw up about 1/2- 3/4 of a turn and put my lever back on. Now when I loosen the lever completely up the bipod has tension on it and when I tighten the lever it completely locks the bipod. I think this will work for 90% of the people that use them. It made a huge difference in mine.

Reactions: B_TheJedi
    Wait, so is there suppose to be some adjustment in the friction and not just on/off for the CAL bipod?

Here's the most recent thread of which I'm aware on the issue. @Kasey also weighs in.
    Thank you, I read through that thread when it was current. I don’t think it is the same as what I am looking for. I feel like the OP in that thread had some slop in his bipod where I do not, both of mine are super tight (as in no slop / play where there should not be). I am trying to get mine to have some friction in the cant mechanism like the other Atlas bipods have as opposed to just floppy or locked up tighter than a nun’s cunt...

Has anyone came up with a fix for this, my cal just will not tighten enough to keep the rifle from canting, is this just the way it is? why have the pod-loc if it will not tighten enough to stop rifle cant. Has anyone sent theirs back and have it come back working properly.

Has anyone came up with a fix for this, my cal just will not tighten enough to keep the rifle from canting, is this just the way it is? why have the pod-loc if it will not tighten enough to stop rifle cant. Has anyone sent theirs back and have it come back working properly.
    I'm interested in this too. I sold my atlas because the cant functioned like the OPs bipod.

I have the same problem on mine. I even tried to tighten the nut underneath the lever and couldn't get it tight enough to lock. I can't even rotate the lever by hand

I've been corresponding with Atlas and am sending mine off to them tomorrow will post up the results once they get it and figure out what the problem is.