• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question about the cops at Virgina tech

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I was reading about the shooting a VT today. There were pics of the campus police dressed in full camo and with all the tactical gear. vest, helmets, ect....
My question is this. when did they take the time to change into camo and why?
I understand all of the gear and a vest. It could be in the trunk of a car and deployed as needed. I just dont get the camo. if there is a call out for a gunman and an officer down I do not see why there is good reason to take the time to change clothes for a regular officer. The artical stated the officers in the photo were campus police not swat. I doubt they dress in camo daily.
Any officers have any insite as to why this was done? Just curious.

Re: question about the cops at Virgina tech

I'll sheepishly admit to wondering that myself in the past...

For some reason, I always just imagined that the SWAT team was at the range training, when the call came out! lol

But, lets be realistic...

Firefighters on duty don't show up to a call in sweat pants... in most cases!

It might seem like they just "pop-up", but there actually is an amount of time for 1st responders to "Gear up"... especially "specially" assigned responders.

I get the gear and trying to be prepared for the situation. I just dont see how taking the time to change into camo is necessary. I am guessing there is a reason for it or they would not be doing it, I was hoping someone could shed some light on why.
For a sniper it makes sense, these guys were wearing tactical vests with large visible POLICE signs on them over the camo.

It probably indicates that they are not "regular patrolman". Meaning the guys in blue go make a perimeter while the guys in camo go look for the bad guy. Just my guess

My guess would be they got called in when the situation broke out. They were probably at home and had to gear up from the house. When you are changing clothes anyway why not dress in the more practical clothing for the situation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just dont get the camo.</div></div>

In LEO Sniping/Counter Sniping

Nothing screams "Incognito" like the Swamp Thing, laying over the hood of a police car with a rifle.

Never could understand the Civilian LE Camo Bit. Want to blend in, turn your hat around backwards, wear a hoody, and put your pants at half mast.

I actually called a local LEO friend of mine to ask him cause it was bugging me so much. His response was pretty simple and now I feel like an idiot for not thinking about it.
Logically, to you or me, when we hear about a shooting we think you need to respond as fast as possible, get in there and take the guy out. Hindsight though...we see it on the news and know whats going on. When the police get the call, they likely only have ONE piece of information, that shots have been fired by at LEAST one person. They don't just rush in to god knows what and put more people at risk. Maybe it's an ambush set up for the cops, maybe there's a bomb with a deadman switch...you just dont know. So that's why they have the time to change, they are busy making plans, getting more information, etc. It only takes a few minutes to change, and you can do it while you're getting briefed about the situation inside.

I just never understood the camo thing in general. A police uniform, yes. But are they really going to crawling through a forest blending in, in the middle of a city? haha

Is it still tactical if it's not multicam?

laugh.gif

I expect the Tac Qualed team guys have all their weapons and equipment in their vehicles or in a locker at HQ or in a van, and gather at a designated position to get a quick brief and op order before going in. Responses are layered, with some going into the area immediately, some going to set up a perimeter, and some gathering to get suited up and execute a organized response to the location where others have indicated the shooter is.
A shooting event like this, especially at a place with a history like VT, would elicit a immediate response from townie, county, and State police.
How many cops do you think a campus has on duty at any time, or on staff? not that many. A coordinated response takes a little time, and I am sure there were blue lights flashing on speeding cars for 50 miles when this word went out.
But i am sure there were some brave Campus and local Police charging in immediately. There had to be. They are the "First Responders".
I am pretty sure VT and other schools got DHS money for the gear, training, and personnel. Hell, they probably got a armored car or a APC too. Seems like everybody else has.

Don't know for sure but doubt they are Va. Tech Cops. Most likely part of a regional team or even Va. State Police. Some colleges have campus police, that have police powers on campus. Others have campus police that function much like security guards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know for sure but doubt they are Va. Tech Cops. Most likely part of a regional team or even Va. State Police. Some colleges have campus police, that have police powers on campus. Others have campus police that function much like security guards. </div></div>

Ya'll need to read, or listen to, your news a little closer.....

There were more than just a few agencies responding to the shooting at tech the other day, and I'm pretty confident it was exactly to protocol in the wake of the 2007 killings there.

Local city police from at least three towns, county sheriffs, state police, the tech police, and all of the obligatory SWAT units from those various agencies that have one...I even saw an ATF jacket on a stairway in a picture of them clearing the campus buildings. And, I'm sure there were other alphabet soup types involved as well. You're going to get that, here, <span style="font-style: italic">everytime</span> something big happens.

This spring, when the tornadoes ripped through here, it was a HUGE response in two different towns, with multiple agencies.

If I'm not mistaken the VA Tech police are affiliated with the VA SP, as in a unit of......they ain't just your average rent- a-cop with a night stick and a flashlight.

Those officers were probably not on duty and got called in. They were probably not the first officers on scene, this gave them the time to get geared up. Kind of like a SWAT call out even though they were not SWAT officers. I'm sure there were many different agencies on scene from the surrounding towns as someone mentioned above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those officers were probably not on duty and got called in. They were probably not the first officers on scene, this gave them the time to get geared up. Kind of like a SWAT call out even though they were not SWAT officers. I'm sure there were many different agencies on scene from the surrounding towns as someone mentioned above. </div></div>

Remember, VA Tech fucked up and had to answer to a lawsuit for the way they handled 32 people dying in 2007 in the worst mass killing in recent memory. I seriously doubt that anything that took place the other day, per the response, was by mistake or accident.

Protocol.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just dont get the camo.</div></div>
Never could understand the Civilian LE Camo Bit. Want to blend in, turn your hat around backwards, wear a hoody, and put your pants at half mast. </div></div>
+ 1

Nothing screams, "Shoot me first" than being ID'ed as someone special to your enemy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just dont get the camo.</div></div>
Never could understand the Civilian LE Camo Bit. Want to blend in, turn your hat around backwards, wear a hoody, and put your pants at half mast. </div></div>
+ 1

Nothing screams, "Shoot me first" than being ID'ed as someone special to your enemy. </div></div>

Uniforms serve a purpose. They are to identify friend from foe. Often times a uniform serves additional purposes. Concerning the LE tactical officer's uniform I can tell you from personal experience that a typical patrolman's uniform is not ideal in a a high threat incident. Most guys wear a NYCO blend with cargo pockets and reinforced knees. Compared to a typical patrolman pant being made of polyester and functioning more as a dress pan than a functional pant. A tactical pant also goes for $29-$39 and a patrolman pant goes for $45-$75. Shirts follow what I mentioned about pants.

Concerning color.... Most patrol wear a Navy Blue, LAPD Blue or Black. Then you have some agencies like Columbus PD in OH wearing white shirts or some in the south wearing the light blue. Some state patrol and sheriff's wear grey or browns or tans. Regardless of what color an agency wears I can tell you a large majority of their tactical units wear some form of camo with a minority wearing a navy blue, black or grey. The fact is camouflage is constant, even in law enforcement. I have been on operations where a camo uniform didn't mean anything and others where the ability to be concealed probably saved someones life.

When it comes to any call you must prepare for anything. This means arriving on scene prepared for as many scenarios as possible. In the VA Tech incident these guys were probably coming into it with very little info and they were just preparing for a long dangerous day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing screams, "Shoot me first" than being ID'ed as someone special to your enemy.</div></div>

This is a ridiculous statement regarding this topic. 90% of the time you want the good guys to be identifiable in a critical incident. Take a look at the North Hollywood shoot out back in the 90s. Some of the SWAT guys on scene were wearing shorts, t-shirts with a heavy vest and helmet sporting long guns. How is that any different than wearing a tactical uniform under their kit? The answer is, it doesn't. Uniforms in general draw attention to the bad guy. In the LE world you can not afford to have many good guys running around in plain clothes during a critical incident, it is beyond dangerous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know for sure but doubt they are Va. Tech Cops. Most likely part of a regional team or even Va. State Police. Some colleges have campus police, that have police powers on campus. Others have campus police that function much like security guards. </div></div>
The caption from the photo said it was 2 campus police officers. It was a photo of 2 people walking away from the cameraman. 1 had his arm around the other.
I am not knocking the cops in any way, I am just curious why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know for sure but doubt they are Va. Tech Cops. Most likely part of a regional team or even Va. State Police. Some colleges have campus police, that have police powers on campus. Others have campus police that function much like security guards. </div></div>
The caption from the photo said it was 2 campus police officers. It was a photo of 2 people walking away from the cameraman. 1 had his arm around the other.
I am not knocking the cops in any way, I am just curious why. </div></div>

I can tell you from experience the media mucks up info more times than they get it correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just dont get the camo.</div></div>
+ 1

Nothing screams, "Shoot me first" than being ID'ed as someone special to your enemy. </div></div>
Blending in is over rated when you're Action Man
137232329_9be5da58b3.jpg

Virginia Tech has their own police dept, and Va Tech is mostly located in the city of Blacksburg which has a police dept about a mile from the Va Tech dept headquarters. And Blacksburg is located in Montgomery county, which has a county police dept, not to mention Christiansburg police dept. They all had turn outs for this emergency not to mention every surrounding county and city, there were also officers from ATF, FBI, and State Police which have two reginal offices within 50 miles of Va Tech. They all have some kind of TAC/SWAT team and van to keep gear in, who knows, they may have changed uniforms in the vans. Tripwire and myself live in Va Techs backyard almost. First off I want to say a big thank you to the officers who were there. It is a total tragedy when something like this happens for all people involved. But, I will say in my opinion, a lot of police departments have gotten to militarized in the past 10-15 years and that could be the reason for the camo utility's. I wounder why they just can't get the some uniforms in blue or grey? I don't see where the need for camo in a urban setting. Again thanks to the officers who were there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">camouflage is constant, even in law enforcement. I have been on operations where a camo uniform didn't mean anything and others where the ability to be concealed probably saved someones life.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">90% of the time you want the good guys to be identifiable in a critical incident</div></div>

Hmmmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Logically, to you or me, when we hear about a shooting we think you need to respond as fast as possible, get in there and take the guy out. Hindsight though...we see it on the news and know whats going on. When the police get the call, they likely only have ONE piece of information, that shots have been fired by at LEAST one person. They don't just rush in to god knows what and put more people at risk. Maybe it's an ambush set up for the cops, maybe there's a bomb with a deadman switch...you just dont know. So that's why they have the time to change, they are busy making plans, getting more information, etc. It only takes a few minutes to change, and you can do it while you're getting briefed about the situation inside.

</div></div>

^ This.

Honest to God, I have been on call-outs where the events leading up to our involvement or vital info like suspect's name was not completely know until the debrief.

As with our team (multi-agency), when it came time to choose a uniform, our TL asked: "Who still has their BDU's?" Only 3 or 4 guys had to to make a trip to the surplus store.

I also like the guys who have snide remarks about wearing "woodland" in urban areas. It ain't all brick and concrete like NYC. Landscaping, fence rows, trees, and vegetation DO exist in non-rural areas. In fact, we had a former team member who received and "urban" pattern by mistake. He stood out in EVERY environment. Camo works well, and certainly doesn't hurt.

Finally, those who think we should respond to everything in our "blues"....can go to hell. I'm sure I am not alone when I say that my regular uniform is the most uncomfortable and worthless clothing I've had the had to dawn. Polyester is incredibly hot in the summer, and does nothing to protect you from the cold. Plus they melt if you get near fire. I will gladly stick with what's in my deployment bag, thank you very much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uniforms serve a purpose. They are to identify friend from foe.</div></div> Yep your 100% right, however in your case the dirt-bag is not signaling "Hay Over here, It's me".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing screams, "Shoot me first" than being ID'ed as someone special to your enemy.</div></div> I'll always stand by that, as it's the truth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_brovo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Uniforms in general draw attention to the bad guy. In the LE world you can not afford to have many good guys running around in plain clothes during a critical incident, it is beyond dangerous. </div></div> Depends on what environment you operate in. I prefer Body language over words, myself. Then again RFID chips work best, as everyone but those broadcasting are foe until cleared.

It would help if the bad guys wore a sign, I know. However until then, only those dressed for the dance are signaling, I'm here to get the bad guy. Don't know about you but that might be a clue to someone that's already not going with the program.

When good guys dress like the Military, train like the Military, an arm somewhat like the Military, don't be surprised when Military training is used in reverse. Uncle has always been very good at weeding out the unstable, but nothing is 100% forever.

Well I wasn't SWAT, I was a street cop, I responded to calls of service and I didn't go home and change cloths depending on the call.

If someone was in imediate danger, I acted, I didn't wait for SWAT. That was in my job discription when I hired on.

I always get a kick out of CAMOed up cops hiding behind a police car. Command Vehicles, Police Lines, surrounding the crime scene and some dude all cammoed up. Guess who's gonna stand out?

In urban situations we had a saying, "hiding in plain sight".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Finally, those who think we should respond to everything in our "blues"....can go to hell. </div></div>

Glad you're speaking your mind! ha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Finally, those who think we should respond to everything in our "blues"....can go to hell. </div></div>

Glad you're speaking your mind! ha </div></div>

He must be kind of sensitive
smirk.gif

Let's not get off subject here guys, as I say Va Tech is truly in my back yard. I mean no offence to anyone, the question still remains. Why do officers wear Camo? I'm not trying to turn this horrible incident into a shit slinging contest, and I hope you will return the favor. It's a simple question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a simple question. </div></div>
One word answer,...Perception.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a simple question. </div></div>
</div></div>
To what end?

Can't speak for everyone and am not familiar with VT campus but here goes my thoughts. Our SRT team has black bdu's and the sniper teams use camo. I keep both available but if I have to respond with little advanced info I will go in camo. Most areas have some type of landscaping or vegetation and if deployed as a sniper I will be looking for concealment. The camo doesn't stand out any worse than the big entry vest and rifle would and if the search turns to a barricade or hostage situation, the camo would be handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a simple question. </div></div>
</div></div>
To what end? </div></div>
First bad guy, Public second, other LEO's third, an the team last.
(1)Bad guy now knows those who arn't scared of a gun fight are there to contest/end his plans.
(2) Public is put a ease, knowing the most advanced help, is on site.
(3) Front line guys know, those who have been down the road are there to assist, with weapons to punch an reach, plus different Tactics than they use everyday, if need be.
(4) "Everyone on your team" dressed the same way, for fast ID.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raven 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Glad you're speaking your mind! ha </div></div>

He must be kind of sensitive
smirk.gif

Let's not get off subject here guys, as I say Va Tech is truly in my back yard. I mean no offence to anyone, the question still remains. Why do officers wear Camo? I'm not trying to turn this horrible incident into a shit slinging contest, and I hope you will return the favor. It's a simple question. </div></div>

Black gets crazy hot...tan is silly since we aren't in the desert...green shows stains like crazy and ends up looking unkept after you spill CLP on it...Blue is like black.

Think of it like the new Navy camo. It isn't like they are trying to hide on a ship...but as a working uniform, it is a good piece of gear as it hides stains and conceals where your armor starts/stops. Good uniforms should have no clear aiming point on them and camo like Multicam does this pretty well.

YMMV

So why don't all cops just switch over to multi cam utility uniforms?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why don't all cops just switch over to multi cam utility uniforms?</div></div>

Because the public don't want "para military" type cops. This isn't a third world country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why don't all cops just switch over to multi cam utility uniforms?</div></div>

Because the public don't want "para military" type cops. This isn't a third world country.

</div></div>

Maybe <span style="font-style: italic">WE</span> don't, but are you sure about the rest of the "public"...?

youve got to make sure that you gear up as if you are going deep into the jungles of nam, or kicking doors in baghdad. That way you can feel and look like the bad ass that you are. no sarcasm intended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because the public don't want "para military" type cops. This isn't a third world country.</div></div>
Yet,...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I wasn't SWAT, I was a street cop, I responded to calls of service and I didn't go home and change cloths depending on the call.

If someone was in imediate danger, I acted, I didn't wait for SWAT. That was in my job discription when I hired on.

I always get a kick out of CAMOed up cops hiding behind a police car. Command Vehicles, Police Lines, surrounding the crime scene and some dude all cammoed up. Guess who's gonna stand out?

In urban situations we had a saying, "hiding in plain sight".

</div></div>

I always get a kick out of guys who never did "it" giving there two cents as if it were gospel or drawing upon a few incidents they were involved in as though that set the standard for all others that follow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was reading about the shooting a VT today. There were pics of the campus police dressed in full camo and with all the tactical gear. vest, helmets, ect....
My question is this. when did they take the time to change into camo and why?
I understand all of the gear and a vest. It could be in the trunk of a car and deployed as needed. I just dont get the camo. if there is a call out for a gunman and an officer down I do not see why there is good reason to take the time to change clothes for a regular officer. The artical stated the officers in the photo were campus police not swat. I doubt they dress in camo daily.
Any officers have any insite as to why this was done? Just curious. </div></div>

As an answer to the original post...the officers did not take the time to change their clothes to respond to this call. Those were SRT members from another agency who was called in for mutual aid. As for the uniform, Some type of camo bdu is pretty standard for most rural tactical teams whether SWAT or SRT. Most agencies can't afford multiple uniforms for multiple surroundings[not that you would want too]so it makes sense to use camo, lets face it, any tactical officer is gonna stand out in an urban area, atleast with camo they won't stand out where their is foliage which is about half the time.

"within a minute"
Tim

To give an example concerning camo, I had a field exercise many moons ago when the Army was switching from BDUs to ACUs.

Time was 4 am in the morning, in a forest clearing not more than an unobstructed 20 feet away. Those soldiers wearing BDUs literally looked like ghosts. Those wearing ACUs looked like roman candles. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what the human eye sees and how it can benefit an officer.

Also, dressing in the latest trendy street clothes, and carrying a MP5 or a M4, might get you the wrong kind of attention in an active shooter scenario(Sure would look funny if you came to assist another department if they had an incident).

Whereas, an LEO wearing body armor and fatigues is the universal sign that someone fucked up, and this guy is going to stop him. It isn't suppose to be "tacticool". The body armor stops the bullets, and the fatigues protect from scrapes, cuts, and with some patterns, do a good job at fucking up the sight picture of someone pointing a gun at you.

The team I'm on has 3 uniforms,the only time camo is ever used is if we are serving a warrant in a rural area and approaching from a wood line or foliage type surroundings.Also SWAT isn't really used for an active shooter,that is patrols job.When the call comes in that someone is shooting SWAT will be notified and will respond,then plan and react accordingly for the event at that time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why don't all cops just switch over to multi cam utility uniforms?</div></div>

</div></div>
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but since you said that I thought I'd share two of my favorite pictures of cops. He first one shows that you need not be third world or in cammys to be paramilitary. The second...god I dunno what it shows cops in China...doing...something.
police.jpg

8009d1181865733-horse-mounted-cavalry-modern-armies-wj1181626058_58583.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just dont get the camo.</div></div>
+ 1

Uniforms serve a purpose. They are to identify friend from foe. Often times a uniform serves additional purposes. Concerning the LE tactical officer's uniform I can tell you from personal experience that a typical patrolman's uniform is not ideal in a a high threat incident. Most guys wear a NYCO blend with cargo pockets and reinforced knees. Compared to a typical patrolman pant being made of polyester and functioning more as a dress pan than a functional pant. A tactical pant also goes for $29-$39 and a patrolman pant goes for $45-$75. Shirts follow what I mentioned about pants.

Concerning color.... Most patrol wear a Navy Blue, LAPD Blue or Black. Then you have some agencies like Columbus PD in OH wearing white shirts or some in the south wearing the light blue. Some state patrol and sheriff's wear grey or browns or tans. Regardless of what color an agency wears I can tell you a large majority of their tactical units wear some form of camo with a minority wearing a navy blue, black or grey. The fact is camouflage is constant, even in law enforcement. I have been on operations where a camo uniform didn't mean anything and others where the ability to be concealed probably saved someones life.

When it comes to any call you must prepare for anything. This means arriving on scene prepared for as many scenarios as possible. In the VA Tech incident these guys were probably coming into it with very little info and they were just preparing for a long dangerous day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing screams, "Shoot me first" than being ID'ed as someone special to your enemy.</div></div>

This is a ridiculous statement regarding this topic. 90% of the time you want the good guys to be identifiable in a critical incident. Take a look at the North Hollywood shoot out back in the 90s. Some of the SWAT guys on scene were wearing shorts, t-shirts with a heavy vest and helmet sporting long guns. How is that any different than wearing a tactical uniform under their kit? The answer is, it doesn't. Uniforms in general draw attention to the bad guy. In the LE world you can not afford to have many good guys running around in plain clothes during a critical incident, it is beyond dangerous. </div></div>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the reason officers were wearing street Clothes was because the incident was so chaotic that all officers on and off duty were called out.

I agree with the above comments. If officers are not in uniform in a chaotic situation, there is a high chance of friendly fire. The uniforms serve a purpose no matter what the situation is.

This is damnedest shit to argue about...what freaking color, why do they need camo....we don't want militant looking cops.

I remember a weekly TV show back when I was kid in the 70's called S.W.A.T., based in LA, and they fought a lot of terrorists, ironically, before terror was cool....SWAT teams have looked VERY militant ever since the idea was conceived.

Who give's a flying fuck what the law "looks" like....as long as they do their damn job, show up asap when you need them, and leave you the hell alone when you don't.

Two cops murdered. Both shot in the face while doing their jobs. All you guys are worried about is some fucking uniform?

Hope about we keep the families these guys left behind in mind.

RIP