• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: Atlas Bipod any good for .50 BMG?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Okay, I'll keep it short. I got a DTA HTI in .50BMG. I need a bipod. I've head good about Atlas, but is it made to hold up to .50BMG recoil and abuse? Anybody using an Atlas on a .50BMG, do they say it's okay to do so?

If not, is there another bipod that would be more suitable, like perhaps the LRA "Heavy"? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

FWIW, I can't imagine an Atlas would be the best choice for shooting a .50 cal.

The M107 I shot had a monster bipod on it, like this:

800px-M107_1.jpg

Yeah, didn't they use M60 bipods repurposed, or build off that design? I've heard of folks using a Harris before, but I'd rather have a good strong bipod made for it. I'm not familiar with the Atlas, other than I hear folks speak well of it around here often. So that's why I'm asking.

And for recommendations for good, quality bipods for a .50BMG.

So it's looking to be the LRA, not the Atlas for the HTI, huh? That's okay, LRA was in my top three anyway. I just didn't know how the Atlas stacked up because I never used one, just knew a lot of guys had good to say about them, probably on smaller rifles though. Would've been nice though, the Atlas is cheaper.

So for now I suppose I have my eyes on the LRA, but their website looks screwy, is there any way to contact them? How do you order one of their bipods? I have an email off to them, but haven't heard anything as of yet.

And are there any other good ones on par with the LRA suitable for use on the HTI?

Yeah, I kinda wanted one of their newer ones. What they did have of a site alluded to more options available and I wanted to talk to them about that and probably just order from them if I could.

Know of any places that sell their new stuff? I think I'm interested in their "Heavy" model, but I don't know? I may like the "Light" version better if I knew more about it!

I looked at the one on Europtic already I think, and it looks like the F-Class bipod, a bit different from the new ones I believe. But hell, I could be wrong.

Keep the info coming!

The Atlas, while a truly excellent bipod, is NOT going to be the best route for a 25-30lb (or heavier) rifle like what your HTI will end up around once outfitted with the bipod/optics/loaded mag/etc. The LRA is a great option for the HTI if you can't wait for the Atlas V10 and would be my first choice. Having not seen anything on the V10 yet, I'll hold off on making any unfounded assumptions, but knowing Kasey...the V10 will be more than worth the wait and price once its available (hopefully sometime in the coming months...at least not too long after SHOT in January).

I suppose I don't mind waiting, I won't have the scope for a while nor the loading material. I plan on testing it out with the USO off my Grendel to make sure it's good to go, and then wait for the right stuff.

Too bad LRA didn't see it prudent to put a phone number on their site. Haven't heard anything from 'em yet either.

The LRA is well suited to the HTI, more so than the SRS, in my opinion. Another option is RND bipods. They're not cheap, but still in the same ballpark as LRA and Lloyd makes them solid (as well as backs them up with excellent customer service).

I have used an Atlas V7 on one of my .50's in the past, but it is not exactly ideal, as it was not specifically designed for large heavy rifles. It never failed, but it is just not ideal. I have talked to Kasey at length about the V10 project, and what features I would like to see, but we will have to wait until it actually appears. I have every confidence it will be an excellent product, and fill the niche nicely. If you want something right now, I would guess either the LRA or the "New Revolution" bipod that Dale Poling makes: EliteIron High Quality Suppressors

I didn't know about the Elite Iron model, I'll have to ask him about it fitting the DTA when I call him since he's making the suppressor already. It looks pretty nice and well made.

I'll look up those others too, and go with the one that seems to suit me best, likely come summer.

I saw one that has a very wide, 90deg. base, supposed to be well made. $450 range? Can't recall it or find it now. Anyone know of it?

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming if you think of other good ones!

Strykervet - Thank you for thinking about the Atlas for your project. The Atlas V7 and V8 was designed for .308 and smaller caliber rifles. However we have had them used on .338 and larger to include the .50's but I have never nor will I ever recommend such an application. Despite this clearly stated position, some have still used them and some with much success. But again, I do not recommend it.

Now the V10 or Atlas 5-H (same thing) is designed for the heavy rifles that we will be showing at SHOT, I'll try to give a preview here. IF it functions as designed (crazy new and novel design) it'll be worth considering. Here is a teaser, the 5-H Pans and Cants with adjustable tension, with the bore about 8": off the deck, it has a 13.25 inch spread and should weigh under 24 ounces.

I looked at the Elite Iron offering, but DAMN! $695 for a bipod that does a lot stuff I just won't be doing anymore. Would have been nice ten years ago though.

Seems like a bitch finding a good bipod for this monster. I may have to order the LRA from someone that has one in stock, if that's the way to go. But yeah, it does worry me not being able to contact them over anything at all. I'd REALLY like to find an alternative given this.

LRA looked good, but I need some good, viable alternatives due to their lack of response. If the Atlas V10 is out this spring or summer, then yeah, I may go with that as I can wait. But once NF releases that Beast scope and it's delivered, I'll be ready to finish it out with what's available.

Seems like a bitch finding a good bipod for this monster.

But what did you expect? Just a bigger Harris for a little more money? Bipods for big bore rifles are kind of a niche thing, I'm afraid. Look at some of the most popular big bore rifles in recent years:

TAC-50 - custom bipod that's basically a scaled-up M14 bipod
    EDM Windrunner - M60 bipod
    All of the Barrett 50BMGs - essentially an M60 bipod

Do a Google Images search on "50BMG rifle" and look at the ones with bipods. They're either like the above or some custom job. They're bigger, beefier and it's a niche market so they're expensive. If you'd rather not spend that kind of money, then shoot off of a ruck.

What I expected when I bought a $7000 Tac-50 was a rifle that was squared away with a decent bipod, not one that canted freely to and fro

It's not like we're buying a Ford Focus and complaining about the steering. We're buying a corvette and complaining about the cornering.

Maybe some of the profits need to go back to R&D for some decent "from the factory" bipods for these pricey rifles.

Being a "niche" is no excuse for a "niche" rifle maker.

Well, the DTA HTI doesn't use a built in, they sell the LRA I guess. But I wanted to contact LRA directy, I had some questions and they offer a few different ones. My bitch is they don't get back to you and have no phone number or real site.

As for price, $695 IS pricey for a bipod. This particular one's unique, but does more than I really need.

Niche, whatever, I just wanna know what other folks are using on their HTI's or big bores that take after market bipods? In the $450ish range or less would be ideal, I can't see paying any more for two locking spring loaded legs regardless of how "niche" they are.

Yeah, I would expect a better bipod to ship with a rifle like the TAC-50. Even the EDM one is pretty limited and lame, in my opinion. And you would think as an aftermarket accessory, an affordable bipod solution would be popular, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Either making them beefier makes them more expensive or it's too much of a niche item and demand is too low to make them affordable, I suspect. The RND bipods are expensive, but they're solid and work very well. The LRA is the same way, so maybe they figure if you're going to be dropping serious money on a big bore rifle, you should be able to afford a more expensive bipod? I don't know. Maybe it's like buying an expensive high performance custom rifle and then putting a Tasco scope on it?

ETA: looking at images of HTIs in the wild, you see a mix of bipods. Why not a try a Harris or Atlas that you already have on a different rifle first? Who knows, maybe it'll work?

Last edited:
    I am a huge fan of Casey and the entire Atlas product line. If you can wait, you may want to check out the new release after SHOT. And..........he is readily available for customer support.

That being said, I have had zero issues running a LRA on my larger caliber rifles.

Well, the DTA HTI doesn't use a built in, they sell the LRA I guess. But I wanted to contact LRA directy, I had some questions and they offer a few different ones. My bitch is they don't get back to you and have no phone number or real site.

As for price, $695 IS pricey for a bipod. This particular one's unique, but does more than I really need.

Niche, whatever, I just wanna know what other folks are using on their HTI's or big bores that take after market bipods? In the $450ish range or less would be ideal, I can't see paying any more for two locking spring loaded legs regardless of how "niche" they are.

Whoa, what LRA Bipod is $695? Mine was $450 from Eurooptic.

Did you have a chance to read my thread about it's limited height and ability to shoot at an upwards angle?
    SOA

ETA, the LRA guy does this as a side job, he has a real job that is his primary focus. It's not like calling AT&T. I've talked to him, he's a nice guy, but you can't expect his one man on the side show to run like Amazon.com

Plus, the LRA is not gonna break so I wouldnt be worried about that.

And as dogtown said, you dont' buy a $7000 rifle and then put a Tasco on it, or worry too much because an LRA costs the same as 4 Harris. It's $5 every time you pull the stinking trigger too, but that's the price you pay to be in this game.

Last edited:
    No, the LRA is $450, that's fine.

The Elite Iron is $695, but it does more than I need and looks like it's probably better suited a little less than a .50, though he states it'll handle it. I don't feel the need to pay $695 anyway when $450 looks like it'll get me a fine one that'll suit my needs.

Yeah, I know better than to put a Tasco on it, thanks. I'm looking for options and opinions. This is my first big bore.

check out ashbury precision ordnance for the LRA questions/info. Not alot of info on their site but they stock all of them and use them regularly. they should be able to answer most questions

Wowza, I checked out that Elite Iron. I think I had seen it before but didnt' pay much attention. If the LRA doesn't perform on my hunting trip next week, I might have to look closer at the Revolution. But I agree a $450 bipod is one thing, a bipod that STARTS AT $695 is quite another

Okay, question. I went to Europtic and they have a few LRA bipods. Which one would suit me best for the HTI do you think, the F-Class long leg, the Tactical Light long leg, or the Tactical Light short leg? Those seem to be the options. From what I can tell, they don't make the Heavy Tactical anymore. Opinions?

I rock a State Arms .50 which has one of their own bipods on it. It is very beefy and adjustable. It does not have a rail or lug mount but since they are made in house by Larry at State Arms I am sure you could give him a ring and he may be able to do something for you. I have an atlas on one of my other rigs and I would not trust it under my .50 but then again it weighs almost 50 lbs. I believe the HTI is a rather light .50 so it may be ok.

The elite iron handles bmg's very well, the only thing he doesn't recommend is inverting the legs and string up the bmg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I ended up going with the LRA light tactical. DTA said that's what they sell, but they were out. Thanks for the info above though, I did score one at Europtic and for a good deal too.

Now just waiting, waiting, waiting on that scope...

Got the LRA yesterday, it's one fine piece of equipment and I'm really impressed and I can see why they may be backed up --I don't know of another bipod made like this one. If it can't handle the .50, I reckon nothing can. Best I can tell, it's the ONLY bipod for the DTA and the one they recommend. WAY better/nicer than an M60 bipod. Now if I can find the cleat feet I'll be kosher.

I got the long leg, but I think the short leg would probably have suited me better in hindsight. No biggie though, I can live with it fine.

"A single choice..." Boy, you nailed it there. Thanks.

FWIW RND makes some pretty slick bipods. I had a 90ish day wait on mine but my 50 really, really likes it!