• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question for backpacking/hiking/camping experts

Re: Question for backpacking/hiking/camping experts

check out the gregory palisade around 5200 ci for the medium. you can get a pack with one size torso measurement and then get whichever shoulder and waist straps you need. I will never ever get rid of mine. it is by far the best pack I have ever had. as far as stoves go jet boil for a cannister stove and a primus himalaya omnifuel for a liqid fuel stove.
hope this helps,
Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We buy a lot of our clothing, gear at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ excellent customer service. </div></div>

Thanks, I ran across sierratradingpost.com the other night and was very impressed by their prices. Is all their gear and boots new? They had some Asolo boots that I had been looking @ REI for $200 for $135. This looked too good to be true. </div></div>

I buy from Sierra Trading Post all the time, most everything is discontinued/close-out models, however some things are 2nds (like clothing), but their catalog is honest and tells you what your getting. They even tell you where it's made so you can avoid the "Made in China" crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! I have been thinking about a family event but didn't want to get out somewhere only to have the stove take a dump. </div></div>

Understand, all white gas stoves can take a dump now and then, lots of parts. Better than old days but still require some tinkering. Soot, dirt, grit, use, abuse, dry O rings, etc. The more days in a row out in the field you burn one the odds increase for a bump. Learn to lube it all up, use new fuel every trip and do a good test burn before leaving. Coleman white gas is not recommended, has a wax in it for their camp stoves lube and burns more dirty than better fuel, Blazo is the best if you can find it, cost more and if long way from the road, ups the odds.

These and many others are the reasons I dumped white gas stoves and went to a piggyback cartridge stove. For ease of use and quick time to hot water, with my Superfly I can have hot water in my cup/bowl before a gas stove is put together and primed ready for full heat output.

How long does a fuel canister last for you?

Ive been backpacking and mountaineering for years, have thousands of miles on my feet, and have gone through a lot of gear.

1st - you SHOULD be concerned about weight. The biggest thing you can do to make you trip more fun is cut down on the weight. Theres nothing worse than lugging around a 50 lb pack for a weekend trip where you only used 15 pounds of gear.

For a pack I use a Grivel - there unbelievable packs but a little tough to find in the US. Some nice alternatives are mountain hardwear and marmot. They make very durable leightweight packs and are not overpriced like Acyteryx. I personally hate Kelty's and the first time you use something better you'll never want a kelty again. Golite is a great option to cut down on weight but they lack a lot of the comfort features of their heavier counterparts. As for size, I'd stay below 4000cu inches. Minimalism is the key to comfort and If you have a bigger pack you'll be tempted to take a lot more gear then you need because you've got room for it. If your pack is small you'll be forced to take a look at what you really need and not bring a lot of unessentials. I've gone on month long trips with my 3000cu in pack.

For a stove I use a Vargo triad titanium stove. It weighs in at just over 1 ounce! It uses denatured alcohol for fuel which you can find at any outdoor store or painting supply. With a tin foil wind guard it can boil water in a couple of minutes. Not as fast as something like a jetboil, but weighs a hell of a lot less. I wouldnt go near the Coleman exponent stoves, I've owned two and they both stopped working in the middle of a trip (crappy seals).

PM me if you want to talk some more about gear or want to try out anything I've got before you buy. I've got a crap load of gear from sponsored climbs which I've never used.

I have been hiking, backpacking and camping for years and hiked 1000 miles of the Appalachian Trail a couple years ago. Here are a couple of opinions, take them however you like.
A lot of the decisions about packs (internal vs. external frame, brand, etc) are very personal. However, there are a few things that stick out, many have already been mentioned. The brands mentioned in the posts above are good, some excellent. Backpacks tend to be like rifle scopes, the super-cheap are usually worth what you pay, the reputable names tend to not disappoint, but once you get up into the more expensive realms it takes a lot of money for small gains in performance.
If you are not planning on extended cold weather camping or mountaineering/expedition trips than a pack over the 4000in3 range is probably overkill. That being said, better to go a bit bigger and cinch it down than be a bit too small and have crap hanging all over your pack, snagging on brush, making noise and getting lost. I personally prefer internal frame packs for any trip that will consist of steep ground and bushwacking, they sit close and narrow and don't get hung up as much.
You don't need a military/tactical pack to get where you are going and have a great trip/hunt. 1000d Cordura and MOLLE webbing is heavy. Most civilian packs made for extended trips are plenty tough. That being said, unless you are cutting the handle off of your toothbrush, cooking out of a soda can alcohol stove and sticking to developed trails than I would steer clear of the "Ultralight" sector of the market. You don't want to be three days into a great hunt and have an overstuffed sub-two pound backpack fail on you.
Gregory, Dana Design (now Mystery Ranch), Osprey, Arcteryx, Kelty and several others are excellent, with Kelty being the more economical brand but a lot of bang for your buck. If money is no object Kifaru and others have very good reputations but I can not vouch for them as I have no time with their gear.
If you can keep your durable, full-size pack weight to 4-8lbs you will be able to carry that much more food, water, warm clothing and/or comfort items with you. I may be misquoting but I read a while back that every pound you wear on your feet is equivalent to 10 or so pounds on your back - the importance of the right footwear can not be overstated.
The MSR or primus multi-fuel stoves are world renowned, get one with a simmer function and your fuel will last you a lot longer. Canister stoves are good but for extended trips, pre-filled and pressurized canisters are heavy and you still have to pack out the empties. If you get one that takes the aluminum fuel can with the pump (MSR Firefly, etc.) you can take one big can or one or two small ones depending on your needs. A lot of remote places will have white gas, kerosene, diesel, etc, but not the pre-filled canisters. Also, MSR (can you tell that I like MSR?) makes many of their stoves with a Shaker Jet which is a self cleaning jet that reduces fouling and clogging.
The choices can be overwhelming but if you read around and stick with some of the better trusted names in the business, don't go too overkill, don't pack too redundantly and don't put too much stock in youtube gurus (NutnFancy), you will get kitted up nicely and have gear that will serve you well for decades.
Feel free to PM if you have questions about specifics.

Wow, thanks guys!!!

I personaly can go extremely minimalist. However the family I doubt would be so excited to go my survival route.

Some of my concerns are that after humping rucks (large alice packs overstuffed with crap and jumping them a couple of times) my lower and mid back is not what it used to be.

I would like to try and enjoy the outdoors like I used to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does a fuel canister last for you? </div></div>

MSR filled to 330 pressure will last just over an hour with MSR Superfly set to full military power. That is 2 days for two people melting snow, 3 days boiling water, set to the stop full power. Simmering and cooking last 4-5 days. For expeditions in the big range and/or guiding, I used pounders, Primus pressurized to 450. MSR fuel canisters work best, Primus was #2, all other I have tried did not perform as well.

Are fuel canisters heavy or heavier than gas stove fuel, not really for up to a week. What most forget or do not understand is, simplicity and very quick burn times for a canister stove. Empty canisters is negligible in weight. If you have a base camp gas stove rule but up high or way back there rucking everyday, canister is what I use and recommend.

Those who know that have tinkered with a gas stove, seals shrunk and leak or tear, generator takes 15 mins to warm up so it quits spitting, knocked one over in tent, unseat the fuel bottle from the hose and it sprays fuel all over, have the seal shrink and leak fuel inside your pack, long list of hits against gas stove, to me after 30+ years guiding and using in Alaska to include deep winter, canister just performed better.

A quick twist to seat the cart on the stove, hang the stove from my tent, piton, stopper, ice screw, etc, flick the bic on the bottom of the cart for about 5 seconds, open valve, flick the bic, instant full heat. When it starts sputtering, flick the bic on the bottom of the fuel cart for about 5 seconds, roaring. Never had a MSR canister stove fail me, had a Primus fail once due to the generator screen falling out and it will not produce heat period so this is why I do not use or recommend Primus or Jetboil that uses a Primus burner. Had multiple issues with just about every gas stove out there and usually when my client(s) and I too where cold and tired.

Dragonfly stoves are notorious for bad juju. I had many fail and had many returned so dropped them.

Not that it means much but for mountaineers in the Alaska range and all over the world, most use canisters stoves for their ease of use and do not fail in the cold and thin air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does a fuel canister last for you? </div></div>

MSR filled to 330 pressure will last just over an hour with MSR Superfly set to full military power. That is 2 days for two people melting snow, 3 days boiling water, set to the stop full power. Simmering and cooking last 4-5 days. For expeditions in the big range and/or guiding, I used pounders, Primus pressurized to 450. MSR fuel canisters work best, Primus was #2, all other I have tried did not perform as well.

Are fuel canisters heavy or heavier than gas stove fuel, not really for up to a week. What most forget or do not understand is, simplicity and very quick burn times for a canister stove. Empty canisters is negligible in weight. If you have a base camp gas stove rule but up high or way back there rucking everyday, canister is what I use and recommend.

Those who know that have tinkered with a gas stove, seals shrunk and leak or tear, generator takes 15 mins to warm up so it quits spitting, knocked one over in tent, unseat the fuel bottle from the hose and it sprays fuel all over, have the seal shrink and leak fuel inside your pack, long list of hits against gas stove, to me after 30+ years guiding and using in Alaska to include deep winter, canister just performed better.

A quick twist to seat the cart on the stove, hang the stove from my tent, piton, stopper, ice screw, etc, flick the bic on the bottom of the cart for about 5 seconds, open valve, flick the bic, instant full heat. When it starts sputtering, flick the bic on the bottom of the fuel cart for about 5 seconds, roaring. Never had a MSR canister stove fail me, had a Primus fail once due to the generator screen falling out and it will not produce heat period so this is why I do not use or recommend Primus or Jetboil that uses a Primus burner. Had multiple issues with just about every gas stove out there and usually when my client(s) and I too where cold and tired.

Dragonfly stoves are notorious for bad juju. I had many fail and had many returned so dropped them.

Not that it means much but for mountaineers in the Alaska range and all over the world, most use canisters stoves for their ease of use and do not fail in the cold and thin air.</div></div>

That is some very good info based on your experience, thank you. Gave me a few things to think about from a different perspective. I guess my viewpoint is focused more on the international/ extended wilderness travel aspect where canisters may not be available but local fuel types usually are.
I had no idea Dragonfly stoves had such a spotty track record. I have only heard good things about them and mine has been going strong for close to seven years - admittedly, I have never used it above 10000'.

One can't argue with his experience- but keep in mind folks that if your goal is multi-fuel, then canister is not for you.

The Whisterlite International will run on just about any liquid fuel you can throw at it, including vegetable oil.

+1 for Campmor and Sierra Trading Post...REI has good stuff but they are high.

If you go internal frame do yourself a favor and pick a model that has several different sized external pockets. I regret buying my REI internal pack for this reason. I have very limited options for storage of things I need regularly on a trial (snacks/meals, bug spray, map/compass, first-aid, socks, rain gear, knife, etc). Nothing sucks more than having to dig in a pack for something small.

Best of luck.

Campsaver.com has some great deals too. Get on their mailing list and you'll get occasional 20% off your entire order coupons. They have that going right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is some very good info based on your experience, thank you. Gave me a few things to think about from a different perspective. I guess my viewpoint is focused more on the international/ extended wilderness travel aspect where canisters may not be available but local fuel types usually are.
I had no idea Dragonfly stoves had such a spotty track record. I have only heard good things about them and mine has been going strong for close to seven years - admittedly, I have never used it above 10000'. </div></div>

Travel overseas where diesel fuel and all its derivatives is everywhere and canisters cannot be found, a multifuel stove is a good choice but...just how do you get their by plane with a stove? I flew out of Anchorage with a clean gas stove and clean fuel bottle with no issues being sniffed at Anchorage only to arrive there and find a slip of paper from Seattle that my stove was confiscated. This was 1988 I believe.

The bush in Alaska has Blazo white gas, diesel, alcohol based Heet.

It is legal to fly with a dirty stove and fuel on flights designated freight with passengers but I dare to comment much because I am out of that loop now and the reg was literally changing week to week. We would show up to fly under current reg only to find out something changed, work it out to meet it and fly but much hassle.

For a survival stove, the MSR XGK burns anything flammable, you will not get the heat output like a roaring jet but a good flame.

The Drgonfly has or had a different pump, fuel system and generator than prior MSR stoves. It clogged very quickly with even good clean gas, the needles broke and/or would get stuck so less than optimum heat output, and a couple other things. I do believe MSR made a few changes to the Dragonfly but after that first year, did not sell or use them, backstock got sent back to MSR.

Few bother to read the directions that come with the MSR Whisperlite, but it comes with a cleaning cable installed in the stove already for the part that gets carboned up the fastest. It also has the "shaker jet" where you literally shake the thing to dislodge contaminants from the jet area.

Pretty well thought out it is.

+1 for MSR Whisperlite International. Dead nuts reliable and easy to maintain. Once you get the priming down everything else is easy. You can simmer with it unlike what a bunch of people bitch about. You just have to let the stove get hot then turn the fuel all the way off for a second and then back on really slow like 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I use White gas in mine with a lantern lighter for ease of use. Good luck.

A trick for the WhisperLite is to carry a small squeeze bottle of alcohol to use as a primer. Clean burning, and warms up the fuel as it passes through the line where it loops above the burner. Wait until the alcohol is almost all gone, then turn the fuel on a little bit. It should start burning right away, lit by the last of the alcohol flames.
Works for me, anyway.

1911fan

I used Fire Paste for the same purpose. For me, a little easier and convenient with other uses for fire building.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A trick for the WhisperLite is to carry a small squeeze bottle of alcohol to use as a primer. Clean burning, and warms up the fuel as it passes through the line where it loops above the burner. Wait until the alcohol is almost all gone, then turn the fuel on a little bit. It should start burning right away, lit by the last of the alcohol flames.
Works for me, anyway.

1911fan</div></div>

Pretty much same way I do it except I just use the White Gas, if I were using kerosene I'd definitely use the alcohol to avoid the piss ton of soot.

I just sent you a PM, but here are my thoughts:

I only skimmed through some of the replies, but some other have correctly mentioned that you DO in fact need to be concerned about weight. Also do not follow the mentality that light weight means less durable.

I have a considerable amount of hiking experience and thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2009, which is over 2000 miles of hiking, crossing 14 states, in less than 6 months. I've compiled a mock gear list for you of equipment that I really like.

here's a list of some of the stuff that I use for hiking.

So starting out with this pack (1lb 1oz.) http://www.ula-equipment.com/cdt.asp

Tent - these things are extremely durable (1lb 12.5 oz) http://tarptent.com/moment.html

Sleeping Bag - not sure if you use down, but these are the absolute best (2 lbs) http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=21

Sleeping Pad - not as light as some but thick and comfy and insulated so warm (1 lb 8oz)
http://bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

Stove - mega hot burner, went the whole trail with me (1.9 oz yes you read that correctly)
http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/backpacking/litemax-titanium-stove-gst-120.html

Gas Canister for stove - (6.4 oz) http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/accessorie/gigapower-fuel-110-gold-gp-110g.html

Cookware - (4.8 oz) http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/trek-700-titanium-scs-005t.html

Water Purification - I ditched the filter and only use drops (2 oz) http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops

Platypus 2 Liter - personally I think they're better than Camelbak (3.6 oz) http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hands-free-hydration/hoser/product

Rain/Wind Shell - (10 oz) http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=109004110&mc=169&t=&lat=

Ok, so I didn't include any kind of cold weather gear, socks etc. Food and water depends on how long you're going and what you want so I obviously didn't include that weight as it will vary. This is a base weight only load out, but for all of the essentials which I pretty much covered you're only at 8lbs 2.2 oz if I did my math correctly. Which means that for the recommended weight of 25lbs for that specific pack, you still have an extra 16.5 lbs of food and additional clothes, camera, knife, bazooka lol whatever you want to carry. There are some situations where you might need a larger pack, which ULA makes, check out their whole line. I also love that a lot of this stuff is made by hand in the USA such a ULA, Tarptent, and Western Mountaineering sleeping bags.

I hope this helps.

I got your PM yep yep. I'll put the reply here so others can comment on what I've got so far and what else I need. Thanks for your help and everyone else's.

I have already bought alot of gear, but I will appreciate any advice going forward.
So far:
-Kelty Redwing 3100 (it's now what my 14 year old son carries--I needed something bigger to help out my wife and 7 year old son carry gear)
-Osprey Argon 85 for myself (so far, I like but have not hiked with it yet--just got it last week)
-4 Marmot Sawtooth down bags (they seemed very well regarded and decent priced 20% off @ backcountry.com)
-2 REI Camp Bed self inflate 3.5" pads (they're overkill, but me and the wife like to sleep comfortable).
-MSR pocketrocket stove
-GSI pot/pan set
-off brand tent I've had awhile (probaly will replace later)
-Black Diamond Appollo lamp
-ENO doublenest hammock with slapstrap pro straps

Let me know how this stuff is. You will not hurt my feelings.
I really would appreciate your advice on great hikes/camps in N. GA, NC, TN and SC. We love big mountains and beautiful scenery with not many people around. For now, we want to keep it fairly short--1 to 3 days and 10-15 miles in, 10-15 miles out or thru hike 20-30 miles if shuttle is available. Any great guide/map books you recommend?
Gotta go, short on time today. Thanks, Carey

The Marmot Sawtooth is a great bag. I believe mine is rated to 15 degrees, and it definitely keeps me warm enough when its that cold. But, I'd recommend getting a better stuff sack, as the one it comes with isn't very good (doesn't compress well and its not waterproof). Look into one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/730880

As for nice places to go in NC, I highly recommend the Great Smokies. I've done several trails out of Cherokee and Bryson's Creek. Parts of some of them were somewhat steep so if you take the family expect to go a bit slow, but the scenery is great and the designated camp sites were all close to water and had bear lines.

thanks, I'll research the trails around there. What do you mean "bear lines". Me and the boys have been hoping to see a bear(s) while hiking/camping, but have not yet.

Bear lines (at least that's what I call them, there may be a different name) are cables suspended in the air with pulleys and they enable you to hoist a bag with all your food (and anything else that may attract bears) high up into the air. The idea is that you keep that sort of stuff far enough away from your camp site and out of reach of any bears that may wander into the area. I've only seen bears a handful of times and never up close, and would like to keep it that way.

All good advice above. Europe has gone light for years. I from military bullet proof kit to damaged back to utralite! So here is my short list if you can find it State side:

Podsacs: http://www.podsacs.com/packs.html Black Ice bergen/sack: tough light weight and no frills.

Crux gas burner: http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimu...utdoor-kocher/.

Bushbuddy: http://www.bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html

Terra Nova: http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Terra_Nova
If jungle then Hennessy Hammock (useless in the cold).

Down bag with bivi bag.

Anything Snow Peak titanium.

Therma-Rest???

Montane fibre pile jacket; anything fibre pile with pirtex when its wet are great (bit heavy but bomb proof).

I love Lowa boots. No need for heavy boots any more.

Waterproof: anything with eVent fabric.

The rest is up to you as you only know where you are going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For a survival stove, the MSR XGK burns anything flammable, you will not get the heat output like a roaring jet but a good flame.

</div></div>

I was looking for one good stove that had to work (got the XGK) and one good water filter last year (went with a Katadyn Pocket).

I read a lot of reviews on how loud the XGK was but it wasn't until I started using it all by my lonesome in the woods that I really understood. Let's just say I am extra vigilant when I am using it b/c I can not hear anything but that stove. You can hear it more than 100 yards away. It is pretty much a full on or full off stove, and yet while it doesn't have a 'simmer setting', I am getting a better feel for how much pressure I need in the bottle for the same purpose. I have tried (and been successful a couple times) at frying an egg and not burning the shit out of it.

On another note - I finally found a good SS French Press with 4 cup capacity. It is kinda heavy b/c it is 2x walled SS but at least it won't break. Actually found it at Starbucks. Be nice to have the option of coffee now instead of just tea.

Good luck

Since this thread is kinda morphing - talk to me about sleeping bags. I want a new bag and would love a down bag for the weight but I live in OR (wet). I should continue to focus on synthetics - right?

TIA

Good luck

I was on an approach to climb ice solo along a frozen river and fell in a deep pool, temp around zero. Swam around got out with a soaked backpack. My ID synth sleeping bag was wet and not real warm and comfy to get down inside but, sparking the stove and sucking down hot soup inside my wet bag soon warmed me up getting the shivering under control. With a down bag...outcome may have been different. My story was featured with Albany Mills advertising, "Primaloft Saved My Life".

My climbing mate and I did a first ascent way back in the Chugach. Weather got real twisted about half way up the climb. We spent a hellish night in a storm soaked to the bone from hours climbing in snain and wind. We had to jump inside our synth sleeping bags with all our wet clothes on our bodies. It took awhile but soon our body heat and dried our clothing and warmed us enough to trickle charge as the storm subsided enough for us to relax. One of the worse or most feared nights of my life.

I had a Feathered Friends down bag with goretex shell for an alpine climb. Weather got twisted and we dug into bolt holes in the snow. After days inside my down bag, it was so full of water it did not insulate and weighed 15 pounds or seemed like it, the seams were virtually ripping trying to pack it up. I carried that extra weight for 1.5 days until we got back to camp. My down bag never did dry out for the last three days there, very cold and damp sleeping. My synth clothing dried out and I had to sleep in my clothing to stay warm inside my bag. It took days back home to dry out my down bag. While I have down, since then I have never left home with down.

I prefer Integral Designs Primaloft sleeping bags, used them for years. The warmest for the weight synth bags I ever used plus they pack up smaller than other synth too. I have two custom bags sewn from Evan at ID.

For bags in the 20 degree range, not much difference in weight and packed volume Vs a primaloft synth bag at about a third of the cost but when the weather gets twisted far far from home...

Where its freezing and dry then all the best kit works great: down, goretex etc.
Where its flippin cold and wet best kit struggles big time.

If you are going to be wet then go synthetics. In the UK where its windy, very wet, warm and then freezing Snugpack: http://www.snugpak.com/ is pretty good (British understatement). Their Sleeka jacket I've used for years and so have most of our Special forces. If I'm working in water, 24 hrs rain, then its fibre pile which they do too, however it is heavy compared to other stuff.

Bag wise synthetics do have a weight and bulk disadvantage which you may just have to live with.

I can use down now as I don't venture far anymore.

Last great item Aquagear:http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where its freezing and dry then all the best kit works great: down, goretex etc.
Where its flippin cold and wet best kit struggles big time.

Bag wise synthetics do have a weight and bulk disadvantage which you may just have to live with. </div></div>

Goretex and all its likes work best in very cold and very dry. When it hovers around freezing with precipitation and humidity, you are correct, even the best kit has a hard time. This is where gore and all its types will cause flash off and chill the core.

Down Vs synthetics in weight and bulk, the Marmot Sawtooth down and Intregal Design Renaissance Primaloft weigh the same with the same temp rating so the line is not as wide as many think. I am one of those users that has seen the uselessness of down in the backcountry no matter if it did have a weight and bulk advantage.

I never thought about the difference with synthetic vs down!
I use synthetic for work when I can issued sleeping bags) but many times I didn't have anything besides a poncho or if I'm lucky a poncho and poncho liner. Nothing like waking up in a puddle of mud after a long day and night of freezing cold rain to find soar muscles, stiff joints and frost on you.

Several times had guys go down next to me with hypothermia in OP's; luckily I'm a bit older and we were waiting for the Soviets to roll over us. Hypothermia and sleep deprivation can do funny things; witnessed one guy just get up and walk into the middle of a set ambush. The Sgt who tackled him should have got a medal!

Grandfather has a wool greatcoat.

Any fool can make themselves uncomfortable.

All the systems have their faults, advantages and disadvantages. Some work better than others. What you can use for a couple of night and what works for weeks on end are very different. Tents over Bivi bags, tarps over hammocks. By the time you have worked it all out you've probably ready to retire! Nothing beats a good hut.... or hot babe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never thought about the difference with synthetic vs down!
I use synthetic for work when I can issued sleeping bags) but many times I didn't have anything besides a poncho or if I'm lucky a poncho and poncho liner. Nothing like waking up in a puddle of mud after a long day and night of freezing cold rain to find soar muscles, stiff joints and frost on you. </div></div>

I slept in an issue poncho with synth liner in the Talkeetnas Alaska, it snained all night and broke about mid day to a good layer of snow on us. It was one of those times you reflect on why. Stiff you betcha but I was young then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Several times had guys go down next to me with hypothermia in OP's; luckily I'm a bit older and we were waiting for the Soviets to roll over us. Hypothermia and sleep deprivation can do funny things; witnessed one guy just get up and walk into the middle of a set ambush. The Sgt who tackled him should have got a medal!

All the systems have their faults, advantages and disadvantages. Some work better than others. What you can use for a couple of night and what works for weeks on end are very different. Tents over Bivi bags, tarps over hammocks. By the time you have worked it all out you've probably ready to retire! Nothing beats a good hut.... or hot babe. </div></div>

I had a charge go south real fast. Over night temps -25. We suffered up steep waist deep snow for hours. Reaching the ridge was very windy. About half mile across the ridge he went south, just sat down in the wind taking his clothes off saying he was done, staying put. Dug a bolt hole in the snow, sparked the stove and physically had to drag him in the hole as he fought. It took hours to warm him inside sleeping bags and dumping hot drinks down him. On descent, he glissaded behind me not waiting for me to clear the slope knocking me off my feet in an avalanche.

Just about the time I got it figured out and learned a thing or two, I got old and retired.

They get all punchy when they get really bad. It was our ambush and live!

Only time I ever got into a sleeping bag with a blackman. The Cpl in question had gone down with hypothermia. He looked white as a sheet at the time. It was like being in a tumble dryer with a bear, we were shivering so hard.

Its shocking how quick everything goes down hill when the energy levels are exhausted. You need to act fast and get heat back into the body core fast, real fast. Big call when your decision making isn't at its best. It also takes a heck of a lot longer than you think to get the casualty good enough to venture on; once they get all gun ho again your are only 1/4 the way there, or several more hot sweet drinks.

Don't get me on sun stroke....

Thanks for sharing old tales.

I have a Kelty internal frame and a MSR Whisperlite that are both 20 years old. Granted I do not put near the use on them I used to.....few trips now vs many trips a year then but still, pretty impressive. The Kelty was fully transplanted by an Eberlestock a few years ago but it is still very usable. The Whisperlite I would buy new again today...the Kelty, while the chit then, is not what I would choose today. Used to prefer Vasque boots but my last pair was crap...don't know what happened to them. Now I wear Asolos, the TPS 535 V.

I agree w/ vkc. Eberlestock is the way to go. I have a couple of them and they are great. Good guys at the company and they truly stand by their packs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Several times had guys go down next to me with hypothermia in OP's; luckily I'm a bit older and we were waiting for the Soviets to roll over us. Hypothermia and sleep deprivation can do funny things; witnessed one guy just get up and walk into the middle of a set ambush. The Sgt who tackled him should have got a medal!

All the systems have their faults, advantages and disadvantages. Some work better than others. What you can use for a couple of night and what works for weeks on end are very different. Tents over Bivi bags, tarps over hammocks. By the time you have worked it all out you've probably ready to retire! Nothing beats a good hut.... or hot babe. </div></div>

So true!

if your still looking for a pack i would go to your closest military surplus store and pick up a green standard issue ruck sack, not that acu shit with the plastic frame, go metal, i have had mine for 8 years, always goes with me if im in the woods for more then 2 days

The good old Alice pack has taken its toll on me. I have my good old large and medium rucks as well as two assualt packs but I wouldn't mind something a bit more comfortable that puts the load more on my hips versus straining my mid and lower back.

I do extended solo wilderness hunts 7-10 days way back in the mountains. To me the three things that matter are how well it carries the load, how well it stands up to abuse, and weight. I've used all types of packs Arc'teryx, mystery ranch, kelty, and many others and I've never been happier with my pack. I'm using the Badlands Sacrafice 3800. If you haven't heard of them check them out. They carry weight well, they have the hypervent frame which is amazing at keeping you comfortable on a long loaded down trek. They're rugged and hold up to abuse. I wish the military would let me use them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey fellows, I'm about to get pretty serious about backpacking and hiking with some camping thrown in. I need some advice on gear-primarily backpacks. I've been researching for a couple of days now and so far like the Kelty Redwing 3100 the most. My questions are:
1)Who are the top/best backpack companies to consider. I don't mind spending decent $ as long as I get something worth it. I am primarily looking for durabilty and ruggedness. Weight does not concern me that much, but correct me if I should be more concerned about it. </div></div>

First and foremost is how pleasureable do you want your hike to be. In my experience, the amount of weight you carry is directly proportional to pleasure.

In that light, I would look at GoLite backpacks.

Read up on ultralight backpacking. It is the only way to go.

Do yourself a favor and go to backpackinglight.com and pay for a subscription. You will find as much knowledge there as there is shooting knowledge here. They are VERY helpful and know their stuff.

Don't worry about the freaks who carry as little as possible (some will do over night trips with less than 5 pounds total), but do worry about what you do carry, and how heavy everything is.

In backpacking always remember: grams turn to ounces turns to pounds turns to pain.

When I go on an average overnight trip, I will have about 13 pounds of gear, and another 5 or 6 in food/water/fuel. My pack weighs 2 pounds. Your Kelty pack probably weights around 4 or 5 pounds which is about 1/3 of my TOTAL weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2)What size? I've done several 6-8 mile dayhikes this past winter, but want to exceed that by a good bit into the backcountry with maybe 1-2 nights camping needed. Is this 3100 mentioned above adequate for that, or should I be looking @ the 5000ish size bags. These longer trips will also hopefully involve hunting with a rifle or bow.

3)Internal frame or external? It seems everything is headed towards internal frames, but this backpacking guru on youtube (Nutnfancy) still seems to favor the externals. I do like the way you can tie your tent, bag and mat onto the externals w'out taking up inside space. </div></div>

Somewhere in between is probably about right. My pack is a modular pack ranging from 1600-4000.

Frame is dependent completely on how heavy your pack weight is. As do shoes. If you carry less than 30 pounds, DO NOT GET SOME BIG ASS HEAVY PAIR OF BOOTS. Wear trail runners. You will thank me later.

If you carry less than 25 or so pounds, you can get away with NO FRAME. I use my sleeping pad to support my pack and it works wonderfully. A frame only adds weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also any quick advice on the portable (extremely small) stove systems would be appreciated. I went into REI the other day and was amazed by these. They are the ones, that folded, will fit in the palm of your hand and they screw onto the top of the canister of fuel. Thanks </div></div>

Look at some alcohol stoves. They weigh much less and do as good a job. Look at MiniBull Designs http://www.minibulldesign.com/ for a good start. They are also MUCH cheaper.

Kifaru-own five of them, will own more.

My two faves are the Pointman and the EMR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decide if you want to go ultra lite or mountaineering type hiking and packing. For the former Granite Gear makes some good packs. For the latter scour craigslist for Dana Design Boseman MT made packs.

4200 is too small for year around. The ultra lite packs work up to and only up to their specific max weight, generally in the 30 lbs range.

My winter loadout, even for one night, is 55 pounds and goes up with food and any other task specific gear. Add a rifle and ammo and you break the 70 lb barrier real fast.

Best of both worlds is scour craigslist for Granite Gear ultralite AND Dana packs...

Lastly, dig around and find a copy of Colin Fletcher's "The Complete Walker" book. It will show you just how unimportant all of the latest up to date obsolete gear is that you can't live without, you really can live without. </div></div>

Good Post - I've had a Kelty for 14 years and it has held up solid. It's about 5000 ci. I'd throw 55 lbs of junk in it for one and two night trips in college (too much).

As far as size, I would definitely look at the 5000 range. It really depends on your personal preference or comfort level you desire in the woods. Check out the Complete Walker and find out what you can do with out. Clothing can be a major factor when it comes to packing and perspiration - generally cotton (jeans) is bad and bulky and heavy. How long can you wear the same pair of undies - hell, you don't need undies.

Kelty makes good stuff for reasonable prices. I've had their tents and backpacks.
Packs - Gregory, Dana Design, Arcteryx, Osprey, REI makes solid stuff
GET IT FITTED BY A REPUTABLE SALES PERSON - I think the higher end packs usually have a more sophisticated padding system, which can pay off to prevent the 55 lbs from digging into you hip.
(A note about REI - I just witnessed them replace a Gregory pack that was 10 yrs old and unraveling)
Stove - MSR (I've had a Dragon Fly for a while and like it - don't know what new stuff has come out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JaredC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree w/ vkc. Eberlestock is the way to go. I have a couple of them and they are great. Good guys at the company and they truly stand by their packs. </div></div>

I do not agree , I have had a Phantom , after a couple of hiking two fastex buckles broke down and a strap unsewn .

I checked them out , they were not original Fastex but cheap copies made in China , also the pack was made in China ( I did know not that when I bought it ) so , after that experience , I sold the pack and bought a Mystery Ranch , now I'm satisfied 100% .

PP out

Interesting about Eberlestock.

I am looking at Trangia alcohol stoves at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinco Palla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JaredC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree w/ vkc. Eberlestock is the way to go. I have a couple of them and they are great. Good guys at the company and they truly stand by their packs. </div></div>

I do not agree , I have had a Phantom , after a couple of hiking two fastex buckles broke down and a strap unsewn .

I checked them out , they were not original Fastex but cheap copies made in China , also the pack was made in China ( I did know not that when I bought it ) so , after that experience , I sold the pack and bought a Mystery Ranch , now I'm satisfied 100% .

PP out
</div></div>

The buckles on the Eberlestock are Woo Chin and my Gun Slinger is made in Vietnam.