• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors question for the revolver crowd

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
i just bought a smith and wesson 66-2 .357, its all done up for PPC competition, its got a crazy heavy barrel on it. trigger work and a burris fastfire red dot. anyway. the hammer is a low profile one. you just pull and it comes up and drops, i guess its for speed shooting. question is could i put a regular hammer on it, so i could use it to cock it and fire for precision. you can grab the hammer on the trigger stroke and lock it back and its like 8 oz to set it off. but you have to pull the trigger to get a hold of it. what are your thoughts. reason i want this is i will use this revolver for handgun hunting, rabbits, prarie dogs, deer.

thanks

Re: question for the revolver crowd

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

heres some pics

It has been converted for "double action work". I.e., the trigger is supposed to be used to fire the revolver and rotate the cylinder without cocking the hammer as you have found. If you wish to "back convert" you'll probably need to have a pistolsmith install all new fire control parts...hammer and sear combination, connector, trigger, springs and all that stuff. Keep the double action parts...you may want to go back and forth. All those things work in "balance"...hard to change the springs without changing other things. Probably not a bargain, but again, probably a seriously accurate piece. (And...a real pistolsmith who understands the S&W...not your corner plumber is what you want!) JMHO

ya thats what i figured is was either one or the other. i like the smooth light double action, but would like single action to be available as well. so i couldnt just have the hammer replaced with one with a spur on it? ya i was shooting it today, and it is crazy accurate, i was shooting at about 35 yards and it was either stacking them in a tight little group or i would pull it way off. that trigger is just hard to master i guess. but then again i just got it. soo maybe itll come in time.

got another question. i just bought reloading dies for this. i did some googling and came up with mixed reports. can i reload .38 special with my RCBS .357 dies? and does anybody use green dot for .357 loads. i cant find a yes or no answer for either of these. the books say blue dot obviously. but ive heard of people doing it. i use green dot for my 9mm and .45 so not having to buy another kind of powder would be nice.

thanks

Yes you can load 38 using 357 dies. If you are using GD for 9 and 45 I'm sure you can use it in 38 I just don't know recipe. Factory parts to return fire control to stock are available from Brownell's and any competent smith can install, no big deal.

i loaded up some hornady 158 xtp's with 5.5 grns of green dot with magnum small pistol primers OAL at 1.580. with .357 brass. im gonna go shoot tomarrow so well see how they shoot.

in case anyone was wondering. that load works very well. alot of people said green dot wasnt any good for .357 but it was very accurate, key holing at 25 yards, low recoil. fairly clean burning and not so deafening as full power .357 so should be good for small game hunting (no ear plugs)

My 1992 Hercules reloading guide shows 7 grains as the maximum for Green Dot with a 158gr JSP in 357. The date for some of the flake powders can be elusive at times.
Your reference to keyholing, I suspect may be mis-read, at least by me. I define keyholing as the bullets going through the target sideways. Generally caused by bullets of too small a diameter for the bore.
The term cloverleaf, would tell me it is a tight group and one I am proud of with a handgun.
Always remember Unique, as being one of the best all around powders for a variety of uses. It has stood the test of time.
Larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bestboss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1992 Hercules reloading guide shows 7 grains as the maximum for Green Dot with a 158gr JSP in 357. The date for some of the flake powders can be elusive at times.
Your reference to keyholing, I suspect may be mis-read, at least by me. I define keyholing as the bullets going through the target sideways. Generally caused by bullets of too small a diameter for the bore.
The term cloverleaf, would tell me it is a tight group and one I am proud of with a handgun.
Always remember Unique, as being one of the best all around powders for a variety of uses. It has stood the test of time.
Larry </div></div>

yeah keyholing was just what ive always called it. cloverleafing is what i meant. yeah my new speer manual, hornady manual and sierra handgun manual dont show any loads with green dot. there probably is a better powder out there. i just wanted to use green dot cuz i had a can of it. im gonna look into the unique though. i want one powder for my 9mm, .45 and .357. ive narrowed my rifle powder down to imr 4064, for my .223,.308, and 22-250. and reloader 22 for my 7mm stw. so i limit my powder purchases to 3 cans.

thanks

I like about 17.5 gr H110 with the 158 gr Gold Dot, std primer, in 357. Very clean burn, too

Why limit yourself to only one powder, especially if you're even talking about accuracy? I will acknowledge that one powder may work well for multiple cartridges, but half the fun of reloading is playing with different powders and the 1lb cans aren't expensive. If you get a powder that you don't like, just load it at minimum charge for plinking and throw some cheap lead bullets in. Heck, let your friends shoot them up for you and make them give you the brass back.

If you can't find a charge for Green Dot in any reloading manual, be careful how LITTLE you use. Reducing powder charges, especially with the faster burning flake powders has caused low loading density explosions. This has never happened to me but I have done some research on it while looking for a light load for USPSA that just meets PF. There is more to powder than burn rate and grains, there is a relationship between the amount of powder used and the volume in the case while the bullet is seated.

During my research, I discovered that Clays powder accomplished everything for me while staying within published loads....i.e. I no longer needed to "reduce" loads of a different powder (such as Power Pistol). Yet ANOTHER reason to use different powders. Different powders are meant to accomplish different goals. Also make sure you have a current reloading manual. My Hornady manual from 10 years ago DRASTICALLY differes from my current manual.

You may want to reconsider reverting that racegun to stock.
the mods on the weapon arent cheap and the gun may be worth a couple of stock guns.

and do you really want a super light single action trigger?

Accidents can happen.

Learn to shoot and you'll NEVER think of converting that trigger to stock.

This is common to new pistol shooters. A light single action pull is all they want to feel. Once you learn to control a trigger you'll appreciate what you have.

And lose that dippy micro dot. WAY too slow. A larger bodied red dot sight will be faster to acquire.

God I would hate to see a well done PPC double action messed with. I assure you if you learn to shoot that pistol with that action as intended. You will be a better revolver shooter ten fold!!